Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New rifle suggestions

I suggest playing with that 30-06 to make it shoot better. Change the trigger, change the stock, new scope. I dropped a Timney trigger in my old WWII Springfield last summer and changed the barrel (stayed with same caliber). In the process of changing to quick detach rings, rail, and optional rear iron sights so I can hunt without the scope in nasty weather. Three years ago I retired its old 1970s Weaver K3 and bought a new Nikon 3x9x40. I restocked it back in 1980 after a horse wreck trashed the stock Dad put on it in 1962. I was considering adding a 3-position Model 70 style safety but the guy wants $475 for them.

Have you checked your 700 to see if the barrel is free floating? That could very well have something to do with it losing accuracy. You live in a place where humidity is a big problem. I would be surprised if your gun's stock hasn't changed shape. That's an easy fix or you might want to consider changing to synthetic. Lots of after market stuff is available for Model 700. Changing the trigger on my gun made a HUGE difference at the range. Fixing up an old rifle can be a lot more fun and rewarding than just buying something new. You make it YOUR gun rather than something crapped out on an assembly line.

I haven’t heard much about the bergara…I’ll have to look into those.
I think for the money, they are the best production rifle right now. Most rifles at their price point you'll need to plan on upgrading a cheap plastic stock, or replacing a terrible trigger. The bergara's come with a great trigger and well built stock. I recommend the wilderness ridge or wilderness hunter.

I’m not a guy who buys a new gun very often. My 30-06 Remington 700 is almost 35 years old and accuracy is not that great anymore. My main rifle is a single shot H&R 444 marlin I bought ten years ago that I deer hunt with ( I don’t have to track deer anymore after the shot!) I decided to start hunting out west beginning this year and want to get a new rifle. I’m leaning towards the Browning X bolt long range and topping it with a Leupold VX cds scope. Looking hard at the .308 and the 6.8 western. That 444 marlin has a punch to it so I’m wanting a little less recoil as I get older. What do you folks who hunt out west suggests?
If you end up going with the Xbolt in .308 I would skip the weight of the Long range model and go with the Hells Canyon Speed. Feed it 150 gr. Barnes TTSX for any North American big game animal.

You can give me the 700 30-06....LOL
Seriously,I would rebuild it. Start with the basics like Ontario said. Mine went thru the same thing and it was the stock. Mine is 35 years old & the barrel is not shot....
I'll take it and put a better barrel on it if need be.
That’s funny. I’m afraid I get attached to them. That gun has been contributing to the family freezer a long time. I think no matter what I’m fixing it up. I did float the barrel after doing some online research this past year and that did help, but at 200 yards it’s still throwing bullets around. I’m gonna find a gunsmith and see what it’ll cost to try to get it accurate again.

That’s funny. I’m afraid I get attached to them. That gun has been contributing to the family freezer a long time. I think no matter what I’m fixing it up. I did float the barrel after doing some online research this past year and that did help, but at 200 yards it’s still throwing bullets around. I’m gonna find a gunsmith and see what it’ll cost to try to get it accurate again.
Check the bedding first. Again, you live in a place with a lot of humidity. For years your gun's stock has been swelling every summer and then shrinking during the winter when furnace comes on. Glass bedding and/or pillars might be an answer. Or you may need to work up a better load. Some guns just don't like certain ammo recipes. Try switching from boat tail to flat bottom bullets or vice versa. Have fun breathing new life into that old timer. Don't forget to add a new trigger. You'll like that! I doubt your gun's barrel has gone south. My old Springfield always had a corroded bore. Needed the barrel changed a long time ago. Maybe it made a tour in the salty South Pacific shooting Japs. Managed to put up with it because I was always a close quarters in the brush kind of hunter. Now I'm a Montana and Africa plains hunter so downrange accuracy is more important. I was sentimental enough to put another sporterized military barrel on it. Here's the before and after.Deer Gun final 3.JPG20211114_083339.jpg

Check the bedding first. Again, you live in a place with a lot of humidity. For years your gun's stock has been swelling every summer and then shrinking during the winter when furnace comes on. Glass bedding and/or pillars might be an answer. Or you may need to work up a better load. Some guns just don't like certain ammo recipes. Try switching from boat tail to flat bottom bullets or vice versa. Have fun breathing new life into that old timer. Don't forget to add a new trigger. You'll like that! I doubt your gun's barrel has gone south. My old Springfield always had a corroded bore. Needed the barrel changed a long time ago. Maybe it made a tour in the salty South Pacific shooting Japs. Managed to put up with it because I was always a close quarters in the brush kind of hunter. Now I'm a Montana and Africa plains hunter so downrange accuracy is more important. I was sentimental enough to put another sporterized military barrel on it. Here's the before and after.View attachment 208201View attachment 208202
Yeah I couldn’t ever part with it. I bought it the day before my first daughter was born. It’ll be hers one day. How much do you think that type of work would or should cost? I’m pretty handy, built my own house, do my own mechanic work etc. Should I bed and pillar it myself or just hire it out? I’d want to try that first before a new barrel. I don’t think I’ve shot it that much to burn out the barrel I’m sure it’s less than a thousand rounds, probably way less. I did look at some online prefit and chambered barrels for it…450$. That sound about right? I like my guns, but I’m definitely a buy gun…buy ammo…go hunt type of guy. I depend on the factory stuff I’m afraid.

Mine had a crack that would swell even after rebedding. 2 on the $ then a flier. It would change just going up in altitude & a drop in humidity.
Hogue full alum stock, Timney trigger and it was a tackdriver again. ADL to BDL conversion kit from Brownells. $300 25 years ago.
Ditto the ammo advice too.
The Zeiss scope that sits on it cost more than the rifle,but it verifies the accuracy.

Take a look at putting a muzzle brake on it to tame that recoil. I had shoulder surgery a year ago and even my 30-06 kicked too hard for me. I put a muzzle brake on it and it now recoils like a .22.

My Henry 45-70 is at the smith now having one installed. It makes shooting fun again.

As far as rifle, the Browning is a great choice. If you are looking for less recoil than your 06 then probably not the 6.8. I have a 270WSM and for many it has pretty good recoil. In fact of you look at recoil charts its surprising how much. Actually more then the 30-06 and considerably more then the .308. The 6.8 is a 270WSM with more powder shooting heavier bullets. I have never shot one but my guess is it will be more than you would like. Unless perhaps you are getting a wood stocked heavier gun.

Yeah I couldn’t ever part with it. I bought it the day before my first daughter was born. It’ll be hers one day. How much do you think that type of work would or should cost? I’m pretty handy, built my own house, do my own mechanic work etc. Should I bed and pillar it myself or just hire it out? I’d want to try that first before a new barrel. I don’t think I’ve shot it that much to burn out the barrel I’m sure it’s less than a thousand rounds, probably way less. I did look at some online prefit and chambered barrels for it…450$. That sound about right? I like my guns, but I’m definitely a buy gun…buy ammo…go hunt type of guy. I depend on the factory stuff I’m afraid.
You can handle glass bedding. Lots of tutorials on the net. Try that first. If you don't have a Dremel tool, get one. A very useful tool for all kinds of stuff. It may be useful for dropping a Timney trigger in your gun. The nice thing about 700 is there's so much after market and good used stuff available for it. Your gun isn't a magnum so I think you can get away with just bedding it. Pillars are easy to install if you have a drill press and handy enough to build a jig to support the stock while drilling, but I doubt you'll need to go that far.

As I understand it, Savage makes barrels and receivers that can be swapped out easily but Remington barrels still must have the head space matched between bolt and barrel by a gunsmith. The price of that barrel seems high. I paid less than a hundred bucks all inclusive for mine off ebay. It was used and something of a crap shoot but it worked out. Excellent bore. The gunsmith charged me $150 to put the barrel on and adjust head space. There are usually lots of good used barrels for 700 available from guys "upgrading" their 30-06 rifles to wildcat calibers. But changing barrels will be a last resort for you. If bedding the rifle doesn't improve it, next step is to try adding a pressure point under the barrel to help stabilize harmonics. Sometimes that can make a difference if floating the barrel doesn't work. But that's still down the road a ways. Order a bedding kit from Brownells and see if that helps.

As far as rifle, the Browning is a great choice. If you are looking for less recoil than your 06 then probably not the 6.8. I have a 270WSM and for many it has pretty good recoil. In fact of you look at recoil charts its surprising how much. Actually more then the 30-06 and considerably more then the .308. The 6.8 is a 270WSM with more powder shooting heavier bullets. I have never shot one but my guess is it will be more than you would like. Unless perhaps you are getting a wood stocked heavier gun.
I don’t mind the 06 recoil at all or the .444 that much you only notice it when practicing anyway. I was just thinking a really good long range gun and cartridge that both I and my daughter could handle if needed. She has a 300 blackout but has shot a .308 before with no problems. That’s why I was looking at the .308. The 6.8 didn’t seem to have that much more recoil. I’m gonna work on the Remington 700 30-06 before I do anything else. If it doesn’t work out I’ll go from there. It seems I can’t go wrong with the .308 for elk. I know someone who reloads so he could work on some loads for me with it and the 06 to really get it dialed in if needed.

Last edited:
You can handle glass bedding. Lots of tutorials on the net. Try that first. If you don't have a Dremel tool, get one. A very useful tool for all kinds of stuff. It may be useful for dropping a Timney trigger in your gun. The nice thing about 700 is there's so much after market and good used stuff available for it. Your gun isn't a magnum so I think you can get away with just bedding it. Pillars are easy to install if you have a drill press and handy enough to build a jig to support the stock while drilling, but I doubt you'll need to go that far.

As I understand it, Savage makes barrels and receivers that can be swapped out easily but Remington barrels still must have the head space matched between bolt and barrel by a gunsmith. The price of that barrel seems high. I paid less than a hundred bucks all inclusive for mine off ebay. It was used and something of a crap shoot but it worked out. Excellent bore. The gunsmith charged me $150 to put the barrel on and adjust head space. There are usually lots of good used barrels for 700 available from guys "upgrading" their 30-06 rifles to wildcat calibers. But changing barrels will be a last resort for you. If bedding the rifle doesn't improve it, next step is to try adding a pressure point under the barrel to help stabilize harmonics. Sometimes that can make a difference if floating the barrel doesn't work. But that's still down the road a ways. Order a bedding kit from Brownells and see if that helps.
Would you think buying the Houge stock with the bedding in it would be a good choice? Any experience with those?

Would you think buying the Houge stock with the bedding in it would be a good choice? Any experience with those?
Bedding "in it"? Didn't know there was such a thing. No experience with Hogue. I changed my shotgun to synthetic because walnut kept breaking down. I am a one rifle kind of guy. Been using the same gun for fifty-seven years. The stock on it now fits me like a glove. The gun is balanced perfectly at the forward edge of the magazine. Scope pops into view the moment the butt hits my shoulder and floats on the target. Perfect weight. As long as I can make it shoot straight I have no interest in changing the stock. And I certainly have no interest in any other caliber.

Yeah
Bedding "in it"? Didn't know there was such a thing. No experience with Hogue. I changed my shotgun to synthetic because walnut kept breaking down. I am a one rifle kind of guy. Been using the same gun for fifty-seven years. The stock on it now fits me like a glove. The gun is balanced perfectly at the forward edge of the magazine. Scope pops into view the moment the butt hits my shoulder and floats on the target. Perfect weight. As long as I can make it shoot straight I have no interest in changing the stock. And I certainly have no interest in any other caliber.
I’m m the same way. Only reason I’m considering a new one is because at 200 yards the Remington will no longer group. I’m gonna try to tinker with it and see if I can get it to improve.
The houge stock said it came pillared and bedded. I’ll do my research and I would like to keep my wood stock if possible so at least I’ve got something to do now that deer season is over.

My brother just bought a Bergara Wilderness Ridge in 300 prc. I haven’t seen it, but he loves it.

I’d go for a higher level Tikka Wideland or Roughtech. The triggers are magic and the stocks are nice. They even have interchangeable parts. I did a soft touch pistol grip and a couple of butt plates because of my height.

It sounds like the 6.8, out of the two, is more appropriate for you. The 308 can get the job done, but I think it’s light. I’d look around though, and enjoy the shopping. The 300 prc is pretty magical, and adopted by the military. It will stick. There are a pile of mid-range rounds that will do the job for you. The 300 WSM or the classic WM…. I like 30 caliber for the wide range of bullet weights.

Last edited:
Tikka 308. Best rifle im pretty biased tho, but it’s such a smooth shooter. My buddy had a bergara, but started taking my gun on long hikes because his was so damn heavy. Went 3/3 this year on animals, all 3 animals dropped in their tracks. 165 gr Nosler Accubond. I just went through this dilemma last year and ended up with the Tikka. Very happy I went this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back