new rifle suggestions

Robertsj22

Im thinking of buying a new whitetail rifle. thinking about getting a 6.5 creed or a 308. Im looking for a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. was thinking about a rem 700 mountain rifle but am not sure if there are better options for that price. Anyone have anything else they recommend. id like to get something better quality than the savage i have now. it has a plastic stock and a blued barrel. It shoots well but it just feels cheap.

Tikka T3X Superlite with stainless fluted barrel in .308. Simply an awesome rifle.

My .308 t3x lite stainless is one of my favorite rifles. I find the tikka stocks a little odd fitting, YMMV, but I would hold one before buying. I was committed to putting mine in a B&C anyway so no issue for me.

It all depends on you. If you want to buy a quality production rifle, put good optics on it, and hunt it like that from now on, then the answer is different than if you like to tinker, customize, and upgrade. If you do like to tinker, customize, and upgrade, then the Rem 700 is probably the right choice, as there probably isn't another bolt action platform out there with more custom parts available, and there is a reason so many custom rifles are built on a 700 action, and why so many custom actions are a clone of it.

However if you want a high quality out of the box rifle, and you don't want to mess with it, then there are probably better options, depending on your budget.

It all depends on you. If you want to buy a quality production rifle, put good optics on it, and hunt it like that from now on, then the answer is different than if you like to tinker, customize, and upgrade. If you do like to tinker, customize, and upgrade, then the Rem 700 is probably the right choice, as there probably isn't another bolt action platform out there with more custom parts available, and there is a reason so many custom rifles are built on a 700 action, and why so many custom actions are a clone of it.

However if you want a high quality out of the box rifle, and you don't want to mess with it, then there are probably better options, depending on your budget.
Im looking for a high quality out of the box rifle. what options would u suggest

I can’t make myself like the looks of a Tikka. I’ve got a few M70, M700, and Model Seven. The Model Sevens have quickly become my favorite.

The Tikka T3 is an outstanding production rifle. The sponsor of this forum, Howa builds a very nice production rifle, I used to have one in 22-250. Not knowing what your budget is, there is also the sort of semi-custom route. Nesika builds a nice rifle for the money (but it's definitely more money). There are places like Horizon Firearms that are custom shops with production lines for sale, again more money, but also maybe more features.

Decide on your budget, split it in half, dedicate the first half to glass, and then buy the best rifle your remaining dollars can get you. Remember that a good rifle will last not only your lifetime, but probably your children's as well if it's properly cared for, so it's a worthy investment.

I’m loving the Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 I’m shooting this year. My only real complaint is the blind magazine.

I really like the Savage Lightweight hunter rifles too and may get one in the future and upgrade the stock.

I’m interested to see the new Howa/Newberg rifles too.

I've been pretty impressed with the Browning X Bolts for fit & finish as well as accuracy. Tikka is a great value, Howa as well. Best advice I can give is go forth and fondle rifles until you find one that works for you in your price range.

Both cartridges will be great for whitetail, and much more.

Maybe consider waiting to take a look at the Howa/Newberg rifles?

I also agree that tikka would be a great choice.

Back