New Powder?

Foxtrot1

I mainly reload for a 30-06 and a 9.3x62 Mauser. I've been using ramshot big game. Several years ago, I developed loads for both with RL15, varget, and big game a few years ago and I got the best performance with both out of big game. The problem is, I haven't been able to find any in several years. My supply is almost out, and it's time to load some more ammo. Anyone out there have a good substitute for big game?

Question #2: I am about to start developing loads for a 7x57 that was built on a commercial Mauser 98 action. Anyone have any load data/recommended powders for this old guy? It would be a big plus if the powder worked on all 3.

Any insights you guys have would be appreciated.

If you can hang on for a little bit more, I've started to see Big Game reappear. No Hunter yet, but BG is getting back on the shelves.

That aside, H4350 is pretty close in burn rate.

I load for the 30-06, 7mm mauser , 35 Whelan & 9.3x74r. My best loads with all of them fall within the 4350 burn zone (IMR, H,RL17) I've not usex rl17 in the 06 however.

What weight bullets areyou loading?

Hmmmmm ???? I thought on this one, did a little 'net looking around, and then thunked some more. Ever looked at 4320? Might be a sleeper just waiting to shine.

"What weight bullets are you loading?"

For the 06, I mostly reload 150-165 grain bullets. For the 9.3, 250-280s. And for the 7x57, I am probably going to start load development with 140 gr accubonds.

"Ever looked at 4320?"

I tried IMR 4320 in the 9.3, but not the 06. It shot well, but velocities were much better with big game. Not that velocities are the most important thing, but with big game and 250 gr nosler accubonds, my 9.3 has been shooting 0.5 MOA @2550 fps. That load makes the big guy a little more versatile. It's pretty comparable to a 338 win mag with 250s.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll start looking at some of the data for those powders.

Unfortunately, I think very soon, powder is going to get very scarce again. It is problematic at times, now, but if Hellary wins, there will be a panic again.

I have mine.

4350 should do it in those bullet weights.

Load data for the7mm is generally on the light side due to older guns still in use. Nosler has good load data on it IIRC. you should be able to get about 2900 fps with those 140's.

I mainly reload for a 30-06 and a 9.3x62 Mauser. I've been using ramshot big game. Several years ago, I developed loads for both with RL15, varget, and big game a few years ago and I got the best performance with both out of big game. The problem is, I haven't been able to find any in several years. My supply is almost out, and it's time to load some more ammo. Anyone out there have a good substitute for big game?

Question #2: I am about to start developing loads for a 7x57 that was built on a commercial Mauser 98 action. Anyone have any load data/recommended powders for this old guy? It would be a big plus if the powder worked on all 3.

Any insights you guys have would be appreciated.

Big Game is out there online. Order enough to break even on haz mat, and you should have enough to outlast shillary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back