New Phone Advice

I've got the Google Pixel 6. Decent phone, does everything I need it too and it really upsets the apple fanboys for some reason. Runs GPS aps, good battery life decent camera and it's right on the ragged edge of being a super old-man phone that's way too big to be a phone, but still to small to be a tablet.

Which is probably why I keep it, if I'm being honest. It's a phone for 50 year old contrarians.

I have my second Droid Turbo. I dropped my first one a few days after I got it. It didn't live. I've been using the Droid Turbo phone from my "cell phone day one". It gets used for everything, loading apps, chronograph, drone control, pictures, email,text,etc. All the pictures I've posted, except game camera, have been taken with the same phone I'm using to type this. It's on its second $19.00 battery. If something should happen to this one I have another brand new one all programmed in a box.
I'll never buy into the Apple hype.

I've used both for decades... PC hardware just sucks in comparison.

I have a daily driver MacBook Pro from 2012 that still works great. I've owned tons of PCs at similar or higher price points and none has lasted over 3 years.

PCs run more software, are easier to customize and allow you to do more, Apple controls everything and forces software and workflows on you which blows.

As far as phones go, I think the android OS blows. It's just way harder to use, I spend enough time on a computer every day that I don't want to constantly have to screw around with my phone to get it to work.

Definitely a to each his own kinda thing... but I like that at least one device that's plug and play.
Yeah, this. I'm a draftsman and on a PC daily for work. It's nice to have something that can just be a phone. Easy to use and intuitive. iMessage, Airdrop, and larger aftermarket support is also a big plus. I've been rocking my 11 for 2.5 years and it hasn't let me down yet. If the battery needs replaced I'll take it to Best Buy and get that done

I really have no idea what you use the phone for as "outside" could mean a lot of things. Since you have an ipad, not too many new things to learn other than where are the settings on the iphone that you have on the sammy...and yes, it will frustrate you...some things are there and some things are not. If you want to keep things status quo...go with a new sammy. So you text, call people and use the camera on a regular basis, can't go wrong with either phone. Get an otterbox if you are afraid of dropping them.

My secretary spoke with a T Mobile/Sprint rep with a thick accent yesterday. The only thing I'm not confused about is that it will cost a chit ton of dough to switch from the wife and my 11 pro max to the 14 pro max. Our 11's are in great shape and do what I need.

But dammit, I want a deep purple camera so bad.

Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the Samsung due to familiarity but the better app support and integration/connectivity features of the iOS are hard to ignore.

Also it's crazy how hard it is to compare side by side. At least on AT&Ts site. Iphone has 6 items under display but can't even manage to put the battery size in the specs.

Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the Samsung due to familiarity but the better app support and integration/connectivity features of the iOS are hard to ignore.

Also it's crazy how hard it is to compare side by side. At least on AT&Ts site. Iphone has 6 items under display but can't even manage to put the battery size in the specs.
The real issue is they both do crap none of us even use, we take pics, we text and we all use them as a phone. If one of them does something the other won't .....that is the reason to stay with it. IMO, if the iphone does what you need it to do compared to the sammy, get a new iphone and dump the sammy. But don't get a deep purple pro max....cause that is the one I want should they ever get back into stock !

The real issue is they both do crap none of us even use, we take pics, we text and we all use them as a phone. If one of them does something the other won't .....that is the reason to stay with it. IMO, if the iphone does what you need it to do compared to the sammy, get a new iphone and dump the sammy. But don't get a deep purple pro max....cause that is the one I want should they ever get back into stock !
Negotiated a much better deal, smoke on the water inbound....wife appropriately chose gold.

Check out the website phonescoop.com it's a decent site you can compare different phone models side by side, not perfect but best site I've found for comparing between phone models.

Reactions: JDH
I've heard iOS has better security, I assume better app support, and it seems like everyone is making the switch.
Out of the box, an iPhone is generally more secure.

As a former sysadmin, part of my responsibilities were procuring/maintaining the fleet of phones. iPhones for the most part were pretty trouble-free and lasted a good amount of time. We would get the occasional oddball director who would request a Samsung of the newest flavor, they would usually make it a year or so and become frustrated with it and then get an iPhone.

Out of the box, an iPhone is generally more secure.

As a former sysadmin, part of my responsibilities were procuring/maintaining the fleet of phones. iPhones for the most part were pretty trouble-free and lasted a good amount of time. We would get the occasional oddball director who would request a Samsung of the newest flavor, they would usually make it a year or so and become frustrated with it and then get an iPhone.
The amount of times I’ve had to tell stubborn field guys “Yep, only works on an IPhone…” when they can’t get various apps to work.

Company pays for them so you’re just a jackass if you demand the shittier phone.

I'll fly the anything but apple flag until I die or finally give up on technology completely. I have principles.

@wllm My 2010 surface pro still works great.

But I'll be the first to admit my galaxy kinda sucks. I'm just not switching. Tried a Pixal last year, returned it after a couple weeks, it was a lemon.

iPhone all the way. Android is bad UX.

But, if you gave me a Mac I would promptly smash it with a football bat Office Space style. Well, I might remove Mac OS to run Windows on it as a compromise if I saw you starting to tear up a little when I grabbed my bat.

Back