Caribou Gear Tarp

New MT Resident Bonus Point System

PFUNK

I am hoping someone can explain exactly how this works and the reasoning behind making this change. I just read on FWP's web site that the bonus point system is changing for 2012. It stated that all existing bonus points will be "squared" before the 2012 drawing. Meaning if you have 3 bonus points now you will actually have 9 bonus points for the 2012 drawing. Has anyone else heard this and if so, do you know the reasoning behind this change? Also, have any of you checked your bonus point status and have they already been "squared" or has that not been done yet? Thanks for the input.

I assume the reasoning is to increase the odds of hunters who have been putting in longer to draw a permit. They square them just for the draw... so if I have 10 points now I get 100 chances to draw... if I don't draw I then get 11 base points, next year 121 chances to draw. Unfortunately it doesn't keep squaring, I was hoping I'd have 10,000 chances after a year.

http://fwp.mt.gov/_contentGallery/licenses/bonusPointsTips.html

Last edited:
I am assuming it works the same way as it does in Washington. In Washington they square the number of points you have, and then your name goes in that many times PLUS one for this years application. So if you have ten points(10 consecutive years of applications without drawing) after last years draw, your 10 will be squared, equalling 100 PLUS one for this year, so your name goes in the hat 101 times. It does give a slightly higher percentage chance of drawing those very hard to get tags to those people whom have been applying regularly and have been unsuccessful at drawing a tag. Is it a perfect system, no it's not, but I don't think there is truly a system that would make everyone happy.

Will I ever draw my moose tag with 13 points? I sure hope so... wish they would have squared moose permits too.

They're squaring points for all species...and you dont have 13 moose points, max is now 11.

If 11 is the max then I'm maxed out.... I thought with the new bonus system there wasn't a max... huh. Still wondering if I will ever get that moose tag.

The max is 11 currently.

You will keep acquiring points at a rate of 1 per year until you draw or die, whichever comes first.

In the long run yeah I would think this is a good thing. Your chances to draw increase exponentially by squaring your bonus points. It just sucks for my unique situation. I am a student from out of state but have gone through the requirements to gain residency in order to hunt here as a resident. I probably won't be able to stay in Montana upon graduating, so I won't be able to continue hunting as a resident and accumulating bonus points. Unfortunately I have a low number of bonus points now so the squaring doesn't help me much. If anything it hurts because all of those above me now have their name going in the hat that many more times. If I were able to continue entering the drawing every year, this would be great. Just sucks for my particular situation. Oh well... I got lucky last year in drawing a tough mule deer permit so all is well. Thanks for the input.

If ya sit down and do the math, technically your right back to where ya started with bonus points before ya squared them. No real advantage to the new system, if you have eleven points just think how many other people are maxed out on points odds are still the same.

If ya sit down and do the math, technically your right back to where ya started with bonus points before ya squared them. No real advantage to the new system, if you have eleven points just think how many other people are maxed out on points odds are still the same.

Not true. I got back in the draw for mountain goat after my 7 year wait. Max point holders had 7 shots to my 1. Under the new system it would be 49 to 1. btw, I drew under the old system.:D

What it should eliminate is first time applicants drawing...at least statistically it should.

Actually I think it does make a difference. The chance of you getting to the point where you are maxed out in bonus points is less likely under this system I would think. You are going to draw the tag in fewer years under the new system because your chances of drawing go up exponentially now, which is a big change. However, you are also less likely to "get lucky" and draw with only 1 or 2 bonus points.

I think about it like this... say myself and 9 others applied last year and every one of them had 8 bonus points and I only had 4, Under the old system, there would be 76 names in the hat (9x8 + 4x1 = 76), but under the new there would be 592 (64x9 + 16x1 = 592). My odds in the old system would be 4/76 (5.2%). My odds under the new system are 16/592 (2.7%).

Overall I believe this system equates to waiting fewer years to draw the permit and less people maxing out on bonus points. It hampers your ability to get lucky when you have a low number of bonus points. Anyone can correct me if I am way off with this. Just my impression

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back