Yeti GOBOX Collection

New mexico unit 34

88man

I finally drew a unit 34 rifle tag. Would anyone be willing to share info on the unit and past experiences. Thanks,

You drew a good unit. I have hunted that unit for turkey for past 25 years. Have seen some good elk there. You can count on seeing some nice 6x6 and some bigger 5x5. The unit has plenty of access and plenty of people depending on which hunt you drew.

I archery hunt 34 every year. If you see a 320 Bull the lead best be flying. Lots of 5's and crab claw 6's.

Which rifle season did you draw?
My son drew the youth hunt 3 years ago. Tons of elk and lots of bugling all day long on his hunt which was the first week of October. He passed up 12 different bulls before shooting this one mid morning on the second day. I scouted the week prior to his hunt and there were elk in every area I scouted. I'm not an expert on this unit but it seemed like there were more elk but fewer big bulls in the higher elevations (aspens & doulas fir) and there were fewer but bigger bulls in the lower pinion areas. The biggest bull I saw was around 340 - 350. Lots of 280 class bulls and a few 300's. His goal going into the hunt was 300 so we went home happy. His bull grossed 312 if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• 09-28-08 036.1.jpg
    09-28-08 036.1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,573
SD Bugler, that is an awsome pic. My hunt is Oct 22-26.

Godspeed - This was a DIY hunt. you shouldn't have any problem finding elk in 34. Finding a big bull might be more difficult though on that later hunt.

I didn't apply either of my sons for the youth hunt in 34 this year due to the reports of the quality going down over the past few years and the youth bull tags got cut in half. Usually pretty good odds for the youth hunt. We still came out pretty good on the NM draws though for NR's. My other 15 year old son drew a youth ibex tag, I drew a 16D elk tag for the first season, and my son and I drew muzzy antelope tags in unit 50/52 so we will get to enjoy NM again this year!!!

Good luck to both you and 88man. That is a fun unit with good variety of terrain to hunt. You guys should have a great time on your hunts. Send me a PM if you want more specfic info.

Thanks alot for the insight, and the well wishes. I'm up here in Indiana and not alot of knowledge on the outlay of land and information on the unit. I'll be taking our time glassing !

Godspeed, good luck on your hunt. I guess they finally have got some rain. I can't wait.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back