New Mexico - Two months 'til take off

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty excited to have drawn an archery antelope tag in NM, and especially first choice. Spent the day setting up the archery range in my spare lot, replacing targets and shooting.

Better get my shooting eye dialed in, as it was pretty fuzzy today. Wouldn't chance anything over 30 yards given today's performance.

Now pouring over maps, pics, notes, etc. Wish it was August.

Last year, after I shot my buck, I let Bugler and the camera guy sit in the sweltering blind, while I went and did some pre-scouting for 2010. I told Bryce that next year we will draw our first choice, trying not to laugh out loud as I made such a bold and ridiculous statement. And, that in preparation for such, I would go do some scouting and see what was available on public land.

Well, we did draw that first choice, and now knowing that, I went back through the pics I took on the public land of that unit and it got me to dreaming of the bucks we might see this year. I am thinking anything over 70" will have my arrow headed his direction, but Bugler is an accomplished antelope archer, so he is probably wanting to add a dozen inches to the standard I have set.

I think this one would meet his standard. Not sure how big he is, and with my crappy little camera, it is hard to tell. I watched for a long time with the spotting scope at not much over 100 yards. My penciled totals would put him well above the all-time B&C book minimum. But, my math might be bad, being a CPA and all. Tall, great mass above and below the prong, and prongs in that 6" range.
IMG_3994.JPG

This one would get my attention, just due to the "cool factor." Too far away for a good pic with my camera, but he was very cool with the flared prongs, tall hook over the top, and long ivories.
IMG_3996.JPG

This one needs one more year, which if he did not get shot in rifle season last year, will be a real lunker. We saw a guy shoot one that was this dude's twin brother, just about ten inches more of horn.
IMG_4005.JPG

This guy was just a cool looking classic mid 70" buck that I would shoot in a heart beat. And if he is a year older, might get my heart beating too fast to be able to shoot him.
IMG_4041.JPG

Better not post the pics of the biggest one I found, or some other tagholder will be looking for him. Gotta keep a few secrets. ;)

Bugler and Loren in "hot pursuit" while Spitz and I watched from afar. I am not sure if we will film it for TV this year. If we do film, it might be for a web exclusive. Not sure how many guys would watch a full episode on this site, but am thinking about trying it, just to see the response.
IMG_3931.JPG

I would trade my MT elk tag for a second NM archery antelope tag. And would probably throw in my MT deer tag. Too bad we can't make those kind of trades.

Good luck on the hunt, I can't wait to go chase goats again this year.

A web exclusive would be cool, watching hunts is always fun.

Outstanding Fin. I feel your excitement already. It's kind of contagious. I'm getting excited to fill my Montana tag with a 13 incher. Someday I'll put in for those great trophy tag areas.

Congrats again on the tag Randy! You and Bugler are going to have a great hunt.

How does one manage to draw three antelope tags in a row??? I'm jealous, but very excited for you and Bryce.

Congratulations! Will you be hunting NM Antelope after your NV deer?

Not sure, yet. The coordinating of these things gets awfully complicated at times. Until I know the results of MT and WY this month, I won't have anything set in stone.

When would you recommend doing the NV hunt? The season is the entire month of August. Is early better than later for velvet muleys?

It is all good. The bigger ones tend to shed first and in that country it can start around late August. I think it will be another good year for horn growth.

Ditto; it's going to be an awesome year for growth in NV - you'll have some fantastic opportunities, BF. And, if you didn't think it could get any better than last year...well, you're in for a treat this year. FWIW, I'd go mid-to-late Aug. :D

Thanks a lot Randy!!!!!!!! Now I won't be able to sleep for a few weeks.

I've been so swamped with baseball this year that I haven't had time to even think. I did have a few hours to go buy me a new bow though. :) Shot a new Mathews Z7 today and had to bring it home. I probably won't even set it up for another week or so.

Get that shooting arm warmed up and eye calibrated because we are going to be shooting some big bucks this year.

Some great looking antelope there, can't wait to see how the hunt turns out, I am anxiously awaiting Wyoming results to come out to see where I will be chasing speedgoats this fall.

Bryce you dog!!! If you weren't so dang good at baseball and hunting you would have more time. Just kiding, can't wait to see next years footage of you walking up and sticking one.That was awesome! Maybe this time you could try and get a little closer, give them a chance!! :)) ya no chance with new Z7!!! Congrats on tag!

Bryce you dog!!! If you weren't so dang good at baseball and hunting you would have more time. Just kiding, can't wait to see next years footage of you walking up and sticking one.That was awesome! Maybe this time you could try and get a little closer, give them a chance!! :)) ya no chance with new Z7!!! Congrats on tag!
Ha that's funny. Why don't you ask the big one that I missed how good I am. :rolleyes: Note to self when in a blind I have to remember to aim low. I've missed to big bucks from a blind. I hope the third times a charm and I hit the big one this time.

Are you going to be able to get away to hunt lopes in wyoming with your bow?

IB, I can feel the big one shaking from here! :) I am ready for wyoming for sure. Can't wait. When are you thinking?

Good looking goats good luck with all your hunts this year sounds like the archery tackle willl be getting a work out.

Looks like you guys will have a great time no matter what. Is the rut on in New Mexico during archery or do you just get to hunt the prerut. Cant wait to see how the antelope hat works.

Looks like you guys will have a great time no matter what. Is the rut on in New Mexico during archery or do you just get to hunt the prerut. Cant wait to see how the antelope hat works.

It is pre-rut. Mid-August. Probably a month before the rut really gets going.

Don't be laughin' at me when you see the footage of that goofy antelope hat, but I plan to skewering one with the costume.

Im sure their is some farmers around here that are going to get a few laughs from me this year. Hopefully they dont have cameras, unless it works.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back