Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Success

Spitz

Had a pretty good rifle hunt up in New Mexico, though I must say, having only two days to get it done adds a little pressure into the equation.

Arrived a bit late on Friday evening, just in time to see a buck I hadn't yet seen courting 12 does. My first impression was that he wasn't the caliber buck I was hoping for. Come the next morning, that group was hiding up in the trees somewhere and I couldn't find them.

Here's a shot of the terrain.

P1060147.jpg

But I did find this guy, whom I had seen on previous trips and had plenty of pics of. He stuck around long enough for a couple more pics.

P1060121.jpg

P1060120.jpg

I passed on him thinking that if he was hanging out alone, the other guy had to be a stud and I hadn't judged him properly. Well, the pics didn't turn out but he wasn't anywhere close. Must have been more than his horns the ladies were judging him on.

There weren't lots of lopes to look at on the property and when it came down to it, the flared out buck was the best around. Cursed myself for a few minutes when I couldn't find him and realized he was on the neighboring ranch, but my good luck and the bad luck of the hunters that chased him back my way helped the situation out. Still though, he headed for the trees. Later, about a mile back in the trees, and a half hour before dark, I came upon him and the decision was a quick one.

CIMG0898.jpg

I got to enjoy the hunt with my dad, and taking a good antelope made it all the more enjoyable. He taped out at a tad over 76.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the comments.

BOOOOTYAH, were you wearing your lucky underwear we gifted you :)

Haven't taken it off yet. 6 months and counting . . .:D

Though one of the pairs was gifted away during Bugler's recent archery hunt and I haven't heard anything about it yet. Probably because it blends in with the rest of his panties.

Dude are you serious. I'm going to have to go through all my crap now to find it. I hope it's not the ones moosie was wearing.

Dude are you serious. I'm going to have to go through all my crap now to find it. I hope it's not the ones moosie was wearing.

Sorry man, I think it was the set that Moosie turned into a thong for the loin cloth fashion show.

congrats Spitz. nice looking lope.

and the story was great. up until this point - "Sorry man, I think it was the set that Moosie turned into a thong for the loin cloth fashion show." pretty much sank the thread.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back