Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Mexico Archery Pronghorn - 2009

Sorry Oak. Bugler just rescued me from heat exhaustion. It is only 95F outside, so I can only imagine what it is in these black huts we call blinds.

Anyone who can sit in one of these for days on end is much tougher than. Nothing to show for our efforts at this time, other than losing ten pounds of water weight.

Will try to be more diligent in posting.

Fin,
My turkey hunting mentor built a device for hunting gobblers out of a blind in Florida that you could easily fashion. A small cooler is fitted with a computer fan and opening near the bottom, vented at the top then filled with dry ice for "air conditioning". He claims it works quite nicely.
WD

...reminds me of a Moosie "big news tomorrow" thread. Good luck connecting fellas.

Fin, stay away from the wet patties.

Bugler just said to turn this thing off. He sees bucks in the distance. More later.

A doe and a fawn at 200 yards, checking the wind. A group of four very nice bucks out in front at 800 yards, staring us down.

Man, do I ever have to drain some fluid, but I don't want to blow this chance at these pronghorn. We will see how long I can last.

Update to follow in an hour, I hope.

The doe and fawn just watered at 20 yards. Bucks watched her water and seem more relaxed. Will give another update in an hour.

we want lope meat on a stick!

Not sure of Oscar Meyer makes these out of 'lopes, but I kind of doubt it. This is dinner about ten minutes ago. Hope this will suffice Schmalts.

IMG_3974.JPG

Bugler will post his pics of the doe and fawn. He was being a shutterbug while they drank.

The bucks fed to our west, and joined up with a big group of antelope. Bugler concluded they must have water over there. So we busted out of the blind just before dark to check it out.

Water for sure. Yup, a ditch right along the county highway. Now what to do? Imagine as we leave the blind, pull up the road, and see 200 antelope standing along side the road coming/going to drink in the ditch.

Anyone have any smart plans of how you set up a blind in the borrow pit? Legally?

We would set up to ambush them on their way to that water, but there is not a bush any higher than my boot. And, when they come in by groups of 20, you don't have much room for cameras, movement, drawing, etc.

I am exhausted, thirsty, tired, and humbled by antelope, once again.

More tomorrow. I am passing this over to Bugler for his take on this day's events.

Water for sure. Yup, a ditch right along the county highway. Now what to do? .

Did you bring a wet suite ?

Better idea, dress up like county road workers and camo your bow like a shovel.

Good luck guys, lopes are made for flat shooting rifles !

Not much to add from Fins post but a few pics. Our plan is to site the morning again until around 12 and then we have to catch up on some interviews. For some reason I have a good feeling about tomorrow.

The morning sunrise.
P1100842.JPG

Our shooting lanes.
P1100858.JPG

After 9 hours of sitting,.
P1100880.JPG

P1100912.JPG

This is an easy one. Buck or doe?
P1100917.JPG

"Anyone have any smart plans of how you set up a blind in the borrow pit? Legally?"

yep, park your truck in the barrow pit, sit in it with the A/C on till they get close then get out and shoot:D

Randy-Thanks for the updates. I will try you this mid morning. Jimbo

Can you park a vehicle or two along the ditch? Bryce, please don't put your tag on that buck.;)

Hang some cloths along the fence and maybe they will not go to the water there. Good Luck guys today. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more updates.

We've had a good and bad morning so far. When we first got to the blind we didn't see many antelope around us. Closest ones were about 1000 yards off. After 30 minutes we saw a herd from the west coming into water. It took them 30 minutes to get within 100 yards where they hung out and stared holes through the blinds. In the group we had 14 does and one small buck. It looked like they were coming in but veered off to the right. The closest they got to us was 70 yards. That was the good.

The bad is we had a shooter buck heading in and bed at about 250 yards to the west. He laid there for 15 minutes got up and walked away. @#$%& Can't figure these guys out. Here are a couple pics of the little guy that came in.

P1100932.JPG

P1100942.JPG

Gotta go we have 5 bucks off to the north making there way to us. Onbe looks to be BWOP and the other is a smoker. Here we are hoping Randy shoots an arrow through BWOP and the monster sticks around long enough for me to get a shot.

More to come.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back