Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Archery Elk - New ground, same game.

Pekin has been bugling from his bed for the last 45 Minutes. He is about 100 yards uphill in another jungle. I am not getting drawn in there again tonight. It is still early. He has stirred up another bull above him. We are the path they have taken to the evening playground three of the last four nights. Gonna stay down wind and hope they take this same path tonight. If he stays there until dark, I guees I will have to go after him. You can't see 15 yards, let alone shoot very far or film anything.

An hour and twenty minutes left in my season. I need that one lucky break. Come on Pekin. They say all you will feel is a little sting.

Lol I swear he does this on purpose probly killed the elk on tues and got it processed by now but gotta make us wait till the dying end

I'm guessing that bull is being packed out right now. Its been known to happen at the last minute around here.

I need news, I can't stay up all night!

Sorry for late reply guys, will post details tomorrow. Randy zero, elk win. No elk on the ground. Chased Pekin till dark close but no cigar!

I know it's hard in the moment. But Just being able to chase them is worth it for me. Was notified last night about a bad prognosis on a friend.
your quote says it all.

Thanks again for writing it up. Good luck.

Thanks, guys. I sure appreciate all the encouragement. A part of me thought about not even filming this episode, as I knew the challenges an archery hunt would pose with only three days. But, I am glad we did.

We worked harder in those three days than any three days I can think of since we started this gig. We wanted to have a full episode, thus days were filled with interviews, completing the shot list, filming and explaining strategy sessions, driving all over the place looking for elk that might cooperate, and everything else that we normally do in a six-day archery hunt.

We hunted extremely hard. Up well before light and chasing bugles to the last minute of shooting/filming light. Lots of miles, lots of fun.

One thing I focused on in this episode was that I am not the only person to ever have a hunt shortened due to factors beyond the hunter's control. If we are to show how hunting occurs for the average guy, we need to have some of this. Think of how many guys lose hunting days because of unforeseen work commitments, family issues, and who knows what else.

It really gives you two options - Fold your tent and go home, or stick with it and be thankful for the days you do have. For me, it was pretty easy.

Yesterday was the funnest day of the three hunting days. IN the morning we went way south to a different area, looking for the split-beamed bull had seen the day before season opened. Didn't find him, but watched a big five point bed his cows and went after them. Had to make a big loop to get around some private. Took them out of our view for over an hour.

As we were making our approach, I bumped a group of mule deer bucks. They bolted over the ridge, right to where the elk were bedded. We heard no bugles and when we snuck in, saw no elk. Not sure if the deer took them with in their flight from danger, or if they just moved when we went out of their sight. Guess it didn't matter, as they were no where to be found.

It was cool terrain. Much different than the other areas. We did see a whopper black bear. Every time I elk hunt here I see bears. I am thinking a NM bear hunt needs to be put on the schedule some day. Would be a new bear area and a cool place to hunt them via spot and stalk.

The afternoon hunt started early, back north where we had chased Pekin every day. In my previous post I told you we were right there on top of Pekin. Kind of funny how that happened. I told Loren that the elk would probably bed on the flat thick area just on the shoulder of a knoll. The flat was on the Northeast side, and dropped off to a deeper canyon. It was the typical spot these elk had been bedding every day. The goal was to be between them and the meadows they seem the frolick in each night.

On our way in, I told Loren we should stop on the edge of the thick stuff and wait for an hour of so and maybe hear a bugle. We found a big Pinion to shade us and set up downwind of this little bench.

We sat there for about ten minutes and Pekin starts roaring right above us. He was no more than 100 yards away. He was right in the middle of that thick stuff. But, this time we hadn't bumped him, we had the wind in our favor, and he was most likely coming our direction when his cows came down for their evening rituals.

To be honest, I thought he was all but dead. The trail they took from the thick stuff to the meadows was slightly uphill 25 yards and completely upwind. He bugled from his bed for almost an hour, sounding off every three or four minutes. His cows would make a few peeps between bugles.

His commotion was attracting more bugles, either real elk or hunters trying to sound like elk. One bull came in from above him and was telling of his evil intentions of taking Pekin's cows. I told Loren to get ready, as every time Pekin had heard bugles, mine or real bugles, he would grab his cows and off they would go. It had happened the thee nights before.

With Pekin and his cows being directly between us and the bull up the hill, I expected him to drop off the bench into the scattered, but still plenty thick, PJ and then maybe down into the canyon that was behind us. It seemed like the perfect set up based on his actions the nights before.

The bull up top let out a pretty serious bugle and it sounded like he was getting very close to Pekin. Loren said he could see antlers swaying ahead of us in a small channel through the thick Pinions where Pekin was bedded and calling. We were now at the ready. Pack off, every shooting lane ranged, arrow nocked, and cameras rolling.

We sat and waited for him to emerge. And we sat. Loren said he could hear footsteps. I heard them, but they did not seem to be getting any closer. Nothing from Pekin for at least ten minutes. Nothing from the other bull for five minutes.

Finally, we heard Pekin. He was now at least 400 yards away and moving away. Rather than coming our way, which was straight away from the bull, he took a hard right, going east and down into the head of the canyon . How in the hell did he know to go that way? No way he heard or smelled us. Maybe his cows lead him, and if so, he owes his morning existence to them.

We took after him as they headed across the benches and ridges. He would respond to bugles so long as you were not closer than about 200 yards. Once you got in his comfort zone, he would shut up and you would hear him again 300-400 yards off. This continued all night. Finally, the chase was called off on account of darkness.

Walking back to the truck, I thought about how much fun that had been. When Loren said he saw antlers, I looked at my hand and it was shaking pretty bad. That is why I hunt. That is what makes it so cool to be chasing elk in September. That is why I felt lucky to have three days to do this, knowing many who read/watch our diatribe did not even get an elk tag this year.

My theory, and it only is a theory, about elk hunting is something along these lines. Elk hunting is 75% hard work. Unless you have some special arrangements, public land elk hunting is a lot of hard work.

Then there is 20% that is knowledge and experience. I think my many hunts help with the experience part, but my thick-headed ways may compromise the knowledge part of that component.

The last part, the final 5%, is luck. Either good luck or bad luck. Sometimes you catch the break. If you are out there every day from daylight to dark, sooner or later, you will get that break we cal good luck. Sometimes you don't catch the break. And sometimes, the only luck you have seems to be the wrong kind.

The luck part can make up for either of the first two items. Amazingly good luck might overcome lack of effort, knowledge, and experience. And bad luck might negate all the hard work, expertise, and commitment you can put into it.

The great part about hunting is that if we work hard enough, we can usually overcome some hurdles and create our own luck. A lot like other things in life.

We gave it our best in an effort to overcome the stumble out of the gate that was part of this hunt. That in itself is rewarding. As Miller said, and I quoted in my interview, we did the best we could, with what we had, where we were at. That sums it up better than anything I can think of. If I do that on every hunt, every hunt will be successful, punched tag, or not.

Now it is home for two days, then back to the southwest. I will be hunting elk with a rifle in in AZ starting next Friday. Not a glory unit, but a unit with a few elk. So long as I have a tag and season is open, I have a chance to bag an elk. And, a guarantee that I will have blast.

Thanks for following along and providing encouragement in what was by far the most challenging hunt in our four years of doing this show.

One thing to add to this is about Loren. In life, we all get chances to meet many different people. We usually are good at forming opinions of them in pretty short order. Since the beginning, I knew Loren and Troy were good guys.

I have been very blessed to have Loren and Troy be the main field producers of this show. Loren made it apparent why I have so much respect and appreciation for him. Some guys are quitters and some don't know the definition of "quit." Loren does not know what that means. As demonstrated on our last hunt in MT, Troy again proved that like Loren, he was absent the day they taught quitting.

Loren carried that big camera and tripod, and all the gear, through some of the thickest nastiest jungle in this part of NM. He knew I was bumming about losing the start of the hunt. He kept me laughing and the mood positive. He was confident until the very end.

He did this with one days notice. He left his wife and infant son for five days, because of his commitment to not letting his team down. He showed up, not knowing what gear was there, not having had time to read the production book, and did a remarkable job.

We all have our own circle of friends. Some times they go above and beyond the call, and it causes you to realize how lucky you are to count them among your friends. Such is the case with Loren.

Thanks Loren. We didn't get Pekin, but we gave it one hell of an effort.

Randy, thanks for taking the time to explain why we all do, what we all do. It's a time to be alive, if you're chasing ducks, or elk, or moose, or whatever. It's all about the chase, the hunt, and if it works that way, the kill is a climax, and anti-climatic at the same time. It is wonderful that technology allows us to tag along with you on these hunts, and we appreciate you taking the effort to hunt, and film, and write this out for us.

Fin,

Thanks for sharing your hunt...... (again)!!

Some people do not understand the definition of a "Successful Hunt" but those that go and experience them understand fully that punching a tag is just the icing on the cake............

Don

It sounds like a very sucessfull hunt to me. Big mountains, thin air, bugling elk, and spending time with a great friend. To me thats 95% of elk hunting. Thanks again for taking us along.

Congrats on a great hunt and an incredible effort by the team. Looking forward to seeing the episode!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back