Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Jack for pickup kit?

smalls

I drive a pretty fancy rig when I traipse about the hills, a 1998 F-150. It came with no jack when I bought the truck a few years ago (something you only find out when you need it) so for the past couple years I've kept a bottle jack in the bed in case I need to do some roadside repairs. Two weeks ago someone must have been in a re pickle because they decided they needed my jack worse than I did.

I figure I'll just replace it with another bottle jack, but figured I'd see if there were any compelling reasons to consider a different style of jack. And don't suggest a high lift jack, I don't like those on a solid shop floor much less on soft, uneven ground.

I always keep bottle jacks. They are the only style that will always work. Just remember a couple of boards for soft ground or adjusting height.

I have a small floor jack 2 1/2 ton that I carry. Set it on a 2x10 and lift the truck with no problem. They are easy to use, you don't need to crawl under the truck most of the time.
Dan

Stock jack and bottle jacks work.
I always have wood blocks to set jack on,and the hi lift is for pulling/pushing out stuff or ranch work. Come along too with the gear.

Don't know too many vehicles a hi-lift will work under anymore without wrecking the body....and toppling over.

I was raised in a dry county and always kept a bottle of jack under the seat for trespass consent.

A plug kit and a compressor will fix most flats. If I do end up changing the tire I have a small floor jack that I keep in the tool box. I also carry a Handy man but only use it if absolutely necessary.

First of all make sure a bottle jack will fit under the axle with a flat tire. Most pickups come with a scissor jack that is lower to the ground.

Take a Hi-lift. Then when the bottle jack won't work, you will be able to get out of your situation. Living and recreating in the mountains can learn you some things. mtmuley

Have you considered not getting flat tires?

I've largely done this by not hunting out west the past couple of years. In some of the areas I hunt I am pretty sure the FS employs people with rat tail files to sharpen the rocks on the road all summer.

A bottle jack it will be, I didn't know if there was something else I should be considering.

Back