New guy from NC

Jay/NC

Howdy guys & gals.

I wanted to introduce myself since I'm new around here. My name's Jay and I live in central North Carolina. I'm 47, happily married, have 2 kids (17 & 11) and only feel like myself when I'm outdoors.

I've hunted all my life. Started out with squirrels, rabbits and birds and progressed to deer in my early teens. Started bowhunting at 15yo and fell in love with it. (killed a doe my first time in a tree - used my dad's baker climber:eek:)

I never did put down the shotgun, rifle and muzzleloader though. I love to do it all!

I started turkey hunting after college when I moved to my current location. I'd say turkey hunting with a friend(or my son) is my favorite type of hunting because of the interaction and thrill of going after the quarry versus waiting in a treestand for MR BIG. Although I love me some deer hunting.

I've hunted in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky & South Carolina with Ohio being my favorite out of state hunt. Plenty of public land to roam around on!

I'm going on my first elk hunt this September to SW Montana and will be going at it solo, DIY for 16 days. So ready for September 14th to get here. I have much to learn but I look forward to the challenge.

Good luck this season and be safe!

Nice to see a familiar name (from another forum) on here. Welcome to HuntTalk!
That SW Montana solo hunt will be a tough hunt, especially for someone who's never elk hunted and assuming this will be your first time to that area. I've been there a couple times, but had someone with me who knew the area well. Don't get me wrong though, it's very doable, just going to be tough.
Just be warned that this will most likely not be your last time going. It's addictive!

Howdy guys & gals.

I wanted to introduce myself since I'm new around here. My name's Jay and I live in central North Carolina. I'm 47, happily married, have 2 kids (17 & 11) and only feel like myself when I'm outdoors.

I've hunted all my life. Started out with squirrels, rabbits and birds and progressed to deer in my early teens. Started bowhunting at 15yo and fell in love with it. (killed a doe my first time in a tree - used my dad's baker climber:eek:)

I never did put down the shotgun, rifle and muzzleloader though. I love to do it all!

I started turkey hunting after college when I moved to my current location. I'd say turkey hunting with a friend(or my son) is my favorite type of hunting because of the interaction and thrill of going after the quarry versus waiting in a treestand for MR BIG. Although I love me some deer hunting.

I've hunted in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky & South Carolina with Ohio being my favorite out of state hunt. Plenty of public land to roam around on!

I'm going on my first elk hunt this September to SW Montana and will be going at it solo, DIY for 16 days. So ready for September 14th to get here. I have much to learn but I look forward to the challenge.

Good luck this season and be safe!

Welcome! What part of NC are you in. I'm just SE of Charlotte.

I live in Asheboro not too far northeast of Charlotte.

Good to see you on here too genesis. I honestly don't have a lot of expectation just hoping to learn, have fun and survive the GRIZ! LOL

I'm sure it won't be my last time out west. My son is 11yo and I'm hoping to take him with me when he's in high school. Got A LOT to learn!

Welcome from a little east! Good luck on the hunt. I was hoping to get out there this year, but not going to happen this year. Look forward to the story!

I lived & hunted NC for 40 yrs......miss it. Welcome.

(Please send a Lexington BBQ care package..... PLEEEZZZEEEE, PLEEEEZZZEEE) (Ok, OK, I'll take Smithfields !!) :p

Hello Sir,
I'm from a little west of you in eastern Tn. I've had a place in SW Montana for years. Tough area to hunt. Unless you can get many miles from the park, you'll have fun with the Humpy's. Make sure you have a wolf tag in your pocket just in case also. which area specifically are you headed to? Don't know the entire SW region but may be able to give you some starters.

Hello Jay.

I'm new to this Forum also.

I live in Oxford NC. I'm originally from Ohio but mostly hunt NC and VA now as I live near the VA border. Good luck on your Montana hunt. I don't care where you go in the west, if this is your first Western hunt you will be amazed at the beauty of country! A picture cannot do it justice, ya gotta see it in person.

Terry

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back