New guy from central NY

ChrisS

Good morning Hunttalkers. I've been a lurker on the forum for a while and a big fan of Randy and his show. I'm a sophomore western hunter, but I hunt the Adirondacks for deer - so I have a passing familiarity with backcountry hunting. I'm also into brewing, photography, cooking, and fly-fishing. Lots of DIY stuff in general. We'll see how the draws go this spring for any hunts that I plan for the fall.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome, I've been through the Adirondacks once and plan to do it again. Any ideas for a family canoeing/fishing vacation? Good luck in the draws.

Thanks for the welcomes!
Welcome, I've been through the Adirondacks once and plan to do it again. Any ideas for a family canoeing/fishing vacation? Good luck in the draws.
Depending on how remote you want to get and how old the kids are. Typically easy access leads to easy partying in the ADKs, not all the time, but it can happen. Moose river plains is the first thought. It's popular, but there are 140 or so car camping spots - no fee, first come first serve (for three nights max unless you get a free permit to extend the stay from the ranger). Plenty of side trails and little ponds to paddle around. Helldiver Pond can be busy in the summer since there are sometimes a few moose about. The eastern end of the Moose River Plains Road is at Wakely Dam/Cedar River Flow, which is a brook trout fishery and about 2 miles long with another 2.5 miles of stream before running into water that gets too skinny and bouldery. There are 10 hp motor limits on the Flow and a dozen or so sites along the banks for camping. So canoe camping is easy and once on the flow, it's pretty remote with loons, eagles, deer, and the occasional moose sighting. I've not had a problem with party-goers there, but I've heard stories. There's also a 90ft tall fire tower there that you can climb (after climbing 1,650 ft up the mountain) that brings some really amazing views on a clear day. Cedar River flow is below and the light in the lower left hand corner is the next closest designated camp site:

29391331812_b006e48856_b.jpg

Further north is Lake Lila, Little Tupper Lake, and Round Lake. All three have first come/first serve designated campsites (Again three nights max with no permit). Lila has a 1/3 mile carry from the parking lot to the lake and is about as big as you want to get with a canoe. Lila can be surprisingly busy. Fishing wise it has landlocked salmon, lake trout, and smallmouth bass. Little Tupper is the easiest to access and has the most sites on the water, but can be pretty busy. Round lake is the least busy, I've found, and is almost as easy to access as Little Tupper. Here's another list of fairly common trips. I hunt the southeastern ADK wilderness areas, but I've spent many nights on those lakes in the summer. Try to avoid mid-May through most of June/early July and you'll miss out on the mosquitoes and black flies though they'll limit the number of people, too. August can be insect free, though. Old Forge is the touristy town, and I avoid it like the plague, but there's a good sized water park there and some other attractions.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Depending on how remote you want to get and how old the kids are. Typically easy access leads to easy partying in the ADKs, not all the time, but it can happen. Moose river plains is the first thought. It's popular, but there are 140 or so car camping spots - no fee, first come first serve (for three nights max unless you get a free permit to extend the stay from the ranger). Plenty of side trails and little ponds to paddle around. Helldiver Pond can be busy in the summer since there are sometimes a few moose about. The eastern end of the Moose River Plains Road is at Wakely Dam/Cedar River Flow, which is a brook trout fishery and about 2 miles long with another 2.5 miles of stream before running into water that gets too skinny and bouldery. There are 10 hp motor limits on the Flow and a dozen or so sites along the banks for camping. So canoe camping is easy and once on the flow, it's pretty remote with loons, eagles, deer, and the occasional moose sighting. I've not had a problem with party-goers there, but I've heard stories. There's also a 90ft tall fire tower there that you can climb (after climbing 1,650 ft up the mountain) that brings some really amazing views on a clear day. Cedar River flow is below and the light in the lower left hand corner is the next closest designated camp site:

View attachment 67460

Further north is Lake Lila, Little Tupper Lake, and Round Lake. All three have first come/first serve designated campsites (Again three nights max with no permit). Lila has a 1/3 mile carry from the parking lot to the lake and is about as big as you want to get with a canoe. Lila can be surprisingly busy. Fishing wise it has landlocked salmon, lake trout, and smallmouth bass. Little Tupper is the easiest to access and has the most sites on the water, but can be pretty busy. Round lake is the least busy, I've found, and is almost as easy to access as Little Tupper. Here's another list of fairly common trips. I hunt the southeastern ADK wilderness areas, but I've spent many nights on those lakes in the summer. Try to avoid mid-May through most of June/early July and you'll miss out on the mosquitoes and black flies though they'll limit the number of people, too. August can be insect free, though. Old Forge is the touristy town, and I avoid it like the plague, but there's a good sized water park there and some other attractions.

Awesome, thanks so much. Its probably on the radar for our 2018 trip. We've done a good bit of camping in NH and ME and think the Adirondacks would be great too. I've never caught any landlocked salmon and have always wanted to try.

Back