Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New GPS......Now What?

CiK

I bought a new GPS because I am planning on a western hunt someday. Its a Garmin Oregon 600. Cabela's had a good deal on them if anybody is looking. Anyway, its my first GPS. I have a simple question......now what? I have never used one before.

Thanks for any tips.

What worked good for me was watch a few YouTube videos to get how things work and start tinkering at home or get out in the field for test runs. On x map chips are awesome so in my prep work for my last trip I was looking at paper maps, the gps and Google earth together a lot. It was helpful to see areas on all three maps.

When you first start out keep a pocket manual with you for quick reference. Until you get use to it.

I bought a new GPS because I am planning on a western hunt someday. Its a Garmin Oregon 600. Cabela's had a good deal on them if anybody is looking. Anyway, its my first GPS. I have a simple question......now what? I have never used one before.

Thanks for any tips.

I saw those too, they're just over $200.00. Pretty good discount,they were over $400.00. The hunting map chip for Wyoming and others is around $100.00.

I would check the Game and Fish sites for the state/s you plan to hunt. In N.D. the open hunting areas are a free download for Garmin units. Plus, as others have said...practice with it.

Just practice with it. Look for some local geocaching coordinates online and navigate to them.

My best advice is to not get overwhelmed trying to figure it all out at once. Start slow. Use it in your vehicle while driving to get used to the maps and how the waypoints and backtrack features work. Take a walk with it in your neighborhood and try following your track back, or make your house a waypoint then walk a ways and return to the "waypoint". As others have said once I got the general feel for it geocaching was a fun and helpful way to feel even more confidence in it. Take your time,work slow and it will be a great tool for you.

Read the manual, watch some you tube videos, then go play with it!

When I got my first I went to a big county park with wide open spaces. I would mark waypoints and then walk across a few fields utilizing tracks. Then delete the track and use the function to return to a specific way point. It gave me a lot of confidence in the unit, and trusting it.

Buy Lithium Ion batteries. They are expensive, but last much longer than regular batteries. The more you leave it on while hunting, especially with tracks on, and utilize the back light, the quicker you run them down. Always carry more than enough extra batteries. There is a function to lock the screen so things aren't happening while the unit is in your pack or pocket. I love my GPS.
Lastly, don't forget basic mountaineering just because you have technology in your pocket. Having a good gps has allowed me a lot more freedom in the woods, but the basics will save your life if you lose it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back