Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Freezers are Like Gold

We just had a freezer die. Lost about 20 pounds of antelope and deer as well as other stuff. Replacement won't ome in til November

Luckily a friend gave us a smaller standup. Hopefully the new one comes before we fill an elk tag

Not only are freezershatf to come by but making an appointment to take a steer or hog in is way backlogged here. My dad just checked the other day usually 3 to 6 month waiting list. Processors are booked until July of 2022! Crazy!

New chest freezer arrived today from Wally World. Arctic King 7.0 cu ft. At $200, it’s a great deal, but grabbing one while they are in stock is worse than trying to buy front row seats to the most popular concert of the year! Walmart.com shows it as out of stock, but you can register to receive an email when they have them back in stock. I played that game for about 3 months, and would get emails fairly frequently, but by the time I clicked the link to try to buy it, it was showing out of stock again. I finally called Walmart to see if it was some kind of problem in their system. They said nope, whenever we get some in, they are gone in seconds! So last week I happened to be in my email when I got an in-stock alert. Was able to grab one still in stock and put it in my cart, but when I went to checkout, I got “no longer in stock” and it wouldn’t let me check out. But it did leave the item in my cart. So now I can skip the step to put it in my cart, and just click one button to check out the next time I get an email. Over the course of a couple of days, I got several emails. Their system must have been updating in real time as they were scanning them into their warehouse. Each time I was too late. After getting 2-3 emails over about a 30 minutes span, I figured they had gotten a shipment in and were scanning them in as they were unloaded. So I literally just sat there and kept hitting the button to complete the transaction, and kept getting the “now out of stock” message. But after about 20 minutes of this, Bingo! Order went through. I had it delivered to my local store and picked it up today. It was a total pain in the ass to get it ordered, but seems like a nice unit for the price. There’s someone on Craigslist selling the same unit for $400 in SLC.

Hope I didn’t jinx my hunting assuming that I’d need more freezer space this year 😟

BD10CF60-0A21-4E40-B757-4CA3BBCAE025.jpeg

Luckily, being the son of a taxidermist who doesn't take as much business in as he used to, I can always use one of his freezers if I run short on space. He has 4 huge chest freezers and an upright that is older than me. I have two smaller chest freezers and they are both full right now. Looks like if I harvest in Wyoming, I'll definitely be using one of his. My sister has been on a wait list for about 2 months for a new one. There are more gardens, more chicken coops, and more people canning like I've never seen. I told my wife that once covid19 dies down, there are going to be a lot of things like tillers, coops, canning supplies, etc sitting for sale everywhere. I don't think a lot of people will like the hard work that goes in to the self-sufficient lifestyle.

Since I’m heading to Montana with a elk bull, elk cow and a mule deer tag I needed a freezer and ordered this from Home Depot yesterday and it will be delivered on the 14th.

Attachments

• 76FED144-E57B-47DA-8012-11F2794C9738.jpeg
    76FED144-E57B-47DA-8012-11F2794C9738.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Since I’m heading to Montana with a elk bull, elk cow and a mule deer tag I needed a freezer and ordered this from Home Depot yesterday and it will be delivered on the 14th.
I just bought that same Frigidaire freezer. Lots of problems with them, apparently. See the reviews online. Mine arrived and the green power indicator light didn’t work. Tech came out and jiggled some wires until the light came on. Buyer beware. I did get $400 off the purchase price because the initial freezer I ordered wasn’t delivered (they gave me $300 credit) on top of some minor scratching when delivered ($115 refund).

Know that Home Depot will not accept returns after 48 hours on freezers, so check it thoroughly.

I just bought that same Frigidaire freezer. Lots of problems with them, apparently. See the reviews online. Mine arrived and the green power indicator light didn’t work. Tech came out and jiggled some wires until the light came on. Buyer beware. I did get $400 off the purchase price because the initial freezer I ordered wasn’t delivered (they gave me $300 credit) on top of some minor scratching when delivered ($115 refund).

Know that Home Depot will not accept returns after 48 hours on freezers, so check it thoroughly.
I got the 5 year replacement plan with it

I need a second freezer as well. Going to a up right to complement my big box freezer, there seems to be a few around however sale prices arent very good at this time. I am keeping my eye out for something in the 19-20 CF range

I got the 5 year replacement plan with it
I thought I’d give an update on this freezer we both bought. It has broken down 3 times, and technicians have been out 6 times. They don’t tell you that the warranty (even extended) does not cover food loss. Good luck with yours.

Update on ours. Ordered on August, scheduled for mid November delivery. Mid November get an update. Build date dec 2, delivery dec 9

Dec 10 call again, not only is there no new delivery date they have no idea but guess at least 2 to 3 months.

We got a refund

Reviving this thread since my Social media brought this to my attention...

1687366829647.png

How Many cu/ft Freezer for Elk?​

On average, one cubic foot of freezer space can hold 35-40 pounds of packaged meat. So, if you would be taking 250 pounds of boneless meat home from a 500-pound bull (MASSIVE!!), you would need a freezer with approximately 6-7 cubic feet of freezer space. The meat needs to be boned out, at least the bones on the quarters need to be trimmed.

But, you have to take into consideration that your cuts of meat are not going to be perfectly symmetrical, hence you are going to want some extra space too. A freezer of 7 cubic feet will do the job!

Boned Out Meat – Size of Freezer​

Boneless Meat lbsCubic Feet Freezer*
501.43 cu ft
1002.86 cu ft
1504.29 cu ft
2005.71 cu ft
2507.14 cu ft
3008.57 cu ft
35010 cu ft
*based on the assumption – 35 pounds of packaged meat per one cubic foot

Last edited:

Latest posts