New Freezers are Like Gold

BackofBeyond

My wife and I just started looking for a second freezer, as her grandparents are gifting us a 1/2 beef. Turns out, new freezers (at least in the 13 - 20 cu. ft.) range, chest or upright are rarer than hens teeth right now. I managed to get one into my cart through one of the box stores, soonest delivery date is 12/2/2020, and the local appliance store told me he can't even order anything from the manufacturers right now. They just send him whatever they want, and it's sold before it hits the showroom floor.

Just thought I'd throw the heads up out there to anybody thinking about the "deep freeze/generator" combo for traveling... if you don't have your freezer already, you might be S.O.L.

Costco had chest freezers in stock last week. Personally, I opt for CL and an old (pre 80's) one if I can, especially if you can find a Sears Coldspot. My family has quite the collection and they all run like champs.

I've noticed the medium sized chest freezers are tough to find too. Bout the only ones I see are the seven c.f. Chest freezers

I’ve got an old chest freezer I bought from my uncle as a teenager. Pretty sure it’s as old as me or better. Works perfectly. Not sure the cubic feet but I can fit 2 elk, 3 deer and an antelope in it with space for more

Can't find them here either. Was hoping to get one before the season started.

I’ve got an old chest freezer I bought from my uncle as a teenager. Pretty sure it’s as old as me or better. Works perfectly. Not sure the cubic feet but I can fit 2 elk, 3 deer and an antelope in it with space for more

I have one of these also that a co-worker was going to throw away. He even delivered it to my house. Stores lots of animals & doubles as a work table. Said his Dad had it for years.

I opt for CL and an old (pre 80's) one if I can,
This is what we do too, get most of them for free or less than $50. Same with stoves and refrigerators, although it seems like those are becoming harder to find or people want to call them vintage and ask too much for them. We got an old matching stove and refrigerator for $40 that lasted about 8 years before the stove became too problematic, so found another similar stove. Been keeping our eyes peeled for the next set, put them in storage until needed.

I’ve been in the market for a freezer as well, and I come to the same conclusion. It’s like TP was a few months ago. Even on CraigsList, all I’m seeing are new ones prices at 2X the retail price. Crazy!

A buddy sent me a CL add yesterday at lunch, jumped on it because it was only a few minutes old. Ended up snagging a used 16 cu.ft. for $300. When I picked it up last night, the seller told me that I was the first response, and had received 50+ responses in the time it took him to text with me, then get to a computer and take the add down - sum total of time ~30 minutes.

Gross.

Costco had chest freezers in stock last week. Personally, I opt for CL and an old (pre 80's) one if I can, especially if you can find a Sears Coldspot. My family has quite the collection and they all run like champs.

Got a Sears a while back. It's so old you can't get certain parts but it runs nonstop and keeps things frozen. Not bad for $200.

My wife and I just moved and a few people from our last place offered to pay more than I did for my medium size freezer. If things weren’t so uncertain, I’d have done it but to replace it seems iffy right now. Turns out my wife’s mom is trying to downsize her life a bit and is thinking about getting rid of her large chest freezer. My wife called dibs on buying it, looked at me, and smiled.

I wonder if now would be a good time to sell my vintage chest freezer that I bought used, 18 years ago. For $20.

After reading this thread I looked myself because I was going to be in the market this year. I can't believe the wait times if I order online. Everything I saw as November. Friends dad owns an appliance store I may go talk to him

I have two freezers that are stuffed full.
Fingers crossed that they keep humming.
A breakdown would be devastating right now.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back