New elk hunter questions

Mark86

I just finished my first elk hunt ever and I need help for next year! I'm a new Colorado resident so had to get into elk hunting, right? I drew a first rifle bull tag. The short version is I don't know where I went wrong and am looking for any advice that would help next year. I still have a B List tag for this year so hope is not lost. Here's what I did: scouted in the summer for 4 days (wish it was more but have to work), scouted again 2 weeks prior to the opener and was on elk both scouting trips and also used all the CPW online resources to help. Here's the dilemma; couldn't find the elk to save my life during the season haha! I went in a full day early to scout/set up camp, I got way way back off the roads and trails, gave it all I had the full 5 days but couldn't find them. I hunted from hi elevations 11,500 to lower elevations 7,500', glassed my butt off, was aware of the wind, etc. to all you experienced and successful elk hunters out there..WHAT WOULD YOU DO??? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yeah new spot ��! There was sign all over but was old, a few days to a week. Only saw about 20 cows in 5 days of hunting and a couple bulls that weren't legal. There's supposedly a ton of elk in there but I couldn't find them. Only heard 3 shots in the 5 day season as well.

If it was your first elk hunt and the unit is over the counter for 2nd season I think you did ok. I'm not sure where you hunted but a lot of units you could talk to five people and them not have 20 something elk sightings between them. Always have a backup plan. You don't give much detail but if you are five miles in and were seeing elk it's tough to pack out to move. You also don't mention if you saw a legal bull on your scouting trips. I think the main thing you were missing was a little luck. I think the success rate in Colorado is something like 15-20 percent. Good luck on your B season

Curious what tag you've got for your B season? A leftover Cow tag, private land tag, or what?

If you only heard 3 shots it sounds like you weren't the only one not finding elk. If the elk moved out try a different spot. But it is tough to do with only a 5 day season

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back