new bullet suggestions

wheels

I use hornady 165s in my 06 , and it seems not to like them lately. So i would be up for suggestions thanks

I figured VG would be loading and shooting his Hammers instead of making lists. mtmuley
Taking forever (actually only been 3-4 days) to come. If they were here I would have already shot a velocity ladder with them this morning. Very excited, but Steve said they were running 2 weeks behind when I ordered.

2 weeks? I haven't talked with him in awhile. 2 weeks behind is bad for you, but must mean good stuff for them. mtmuley

2 weeks? I haven't talked with him in awhile. 2 weeks behind is bad for you, but must mean good stuff for them. mtmuley
And good for me if I like them - If they work the way folks say, I will want Steve around for a long time making 'em.

And good for me if I like them - If they work the way folks say, I will want Steve around for a long time making 'em.
That's his plan. Look out though, he likes cannons just like me. I might have even influenced it. mtmuley

That's his plan. Look out though, he likes cannons just like me. I might have even influenced it. mtmuley
I try to keep all my hand loads between 3000 and 3200 but haven't seen the need (or caught the bug) to push beyond that. Only my .308 is a laggard at a pedestrian 2800 - but it is a stone cold killer.

I try to keep all my hand loads between 3000 and 3200 but haven't seen the need (or caught the bug) to push beyond that. Only my .308 is a laggard at a pedestrian 2800 - but it is a stone cold killer.
I caught the bug hard when I shot Kirby Allen's rifles. APSPrecision. Cool stuff. mtmuley

165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions
IMR4350 or H4350 56-58 grs. should find a sweet spot. Start lower. 57.4 grs of IMR4350 with either the 165 gr. Accubond or Partition is my huckleberry
Federal 210 Match primer
Winchester or Nosler brass

165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions
IMR4350 or H4350 56-58 grs. should find a sweet spot. Start lower. 57.4 grs of IMR4350 with either the 165 gr. Accubond or Partition is my huckleberry
Federal 210 Match primer
Winchester or Nosler brass

i was looking at those i use to shoot partitions before and already use H4350

Wheels,
The question begs... Why are they not shooting accurately any more???
Gun either likes that bullet, or it doesn't. Not many that "decide" over time not to shoot them accurately.
Usually either a firearm/optics/user issue. Or a combination of the 3.

In my mind, every cartridge has a bullet weight it would work best with. Only thing I have ever shot in my 30-06 is 180gr Hornady Spire Point's/Inter Locks. If I were to go grizzly hunting I'd probably up to 200gr bullet's but haven't a clue why. My 308's always had 165gr bullet's shot in them. In a 30-06 I don't think a premium bullet will give you anything other than peace of mind. Let's face it, 180gr bullet's will pass through most any animal at reasonable range and destroy everything in it's way. Where is the advantage to premium bullet's?

In my mind, every cartridge has a bullet weight it would work best with. Only thing I have ever shot in my 30-06 is 180gr Hornady Spire Point's/Inter Locks. If I were to go grizzly hunting I'd probably up to 200gr bullet's but haven't a clue why. My 308's always had 165gr bullet's shot in them. In a 30-06 I don't think a premium bullet will give you anything other than peace of mind. Let's face it, 180gr bullet's will pass through most any animal at reasonable range and destroy everything in it's way. Where is the advantage to premium bullet's?
Premium bullets, my flavor being barnes triple shocks, dont come apart in the animal causing shit loads of blood shot and meat damage, especially as closer ranges in my experience. For instance, the first animal I shot with my 300 win and 165 grain barnes ttsx was a doe at 100 yards. I was a little worried there was going to be utter devastation, but I was very happy to see a quarter size exit hole and when I opened her up the the organs were liquefied. Had I done that with a core lock it would have been a mess.....
To the OP, I like barnes, haven't tried any of the other mono bullets as I have a large supply of barnes. I load 168 ttsx in my dad's 30-06 mauser with great results, it shoots a cloverleaf at 100 yards. The 150 Vikings guy mentioned would be the other option depending on the twist of your barrel.

Where is the advantage to premium bullet's?

For me it is:

Outstanding accuracy
Minimal bloodshot meat
No concerns with lack of penetration
No lead exposure to me, my family, or scavengers in the wild
Allows the use of smaller bore rifles at higher velocity w/o concern of hitting major bone

Obviously, we all have our priorities. I could care less about the extra 25-30 bucks a box. Shoot whatever floats your boat.

Wheels,
The question begs... Why are they not shooting accurately any more???
Gun either likes that bullet, or it doesn't. Not many that "decide" over time not to shoot them accurately.
Usually either a firearm/optics/user issue. Or a combination of the 3.
will say i floated the barrel recently plus just got new scope.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back