Caribou Gear

New .280

jvanderlinde

Hey fellas,

So i bought a new .280 today, I'm going to start working up some new loads within the next few weeks if the rain ever stops. Anybody have any good recipes that there willing to share.This will be my deer/elk gun, I'm leaning towards 150 grain.

Thanks for the suggestions

A few years back I helped a friend work up some hand loads for his 700 BDL. He was primarily hunting eastern whitetails over bean fields. Finally settled on 150 gr Ballistic tips, pushed by a near max load of RL-22. See no reason why you couldn't just sub a Partition and have your deer/elk combo. Imr 4350 same in a close 2nd, shooting just about as well, just a tad slower.

I'm in the final stages of building my .280 and will be working up some different loads as soon as the barrel break-in and sight in is complete. For whities and antelope I'll go with the 139/140 and move up to 150's for anything bigger should it happen.

I've had good luck with Ramshot Hunter with 140gr bullets and IMR7828 with 150's

There is no reason to change loads for different animals. Load 140-160 grain premium bullets and it will take care of all of it. I shoot a 7 mag and have been impressed with the 7 mm bullets. 160 Nosler Partitions shoot half-minute from both of my rifles and perform perfectly. Accubonds should do you well also.

If you are going for a combo load, stay away from Ballistic Tips and SST. They are too frangible for consistent performance where penetration is needed.

140gr for deer/antelope and maybe up to 160 for elk, we have only used Accubonds. I would start with any of the 4350's or 4831's, then maybe RL19. Slower powders may work, but I wouldn't start there.

Great cartridge, wish they were available in more off the self manufacturer's, especially Tikka.

Mine shoots well with 140 gr barnes ttsx over a stout charge of rl 19. Also shoots well with partitions agin with rl19. Great caliber congrats

My 280 Remington I had really liked IMR4350 (54.0 grs) behind a 140 gr. Nosler Partition. Killed several elk with it including my largest bull. A good 140 or 150 gr. bullet like the Partition, Accubond, or the E-tip from Nosler would all work great. My son shoots the 90 gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington. It makes that rifle feel like it's much bigger and badder. He shot his first elk at 350 yards with it, a large cow. She went maybe 20 yards and tipped over.:D

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back