Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

7mm recoil help

I just ordered a limbsaver precision fit for my 30-06 Tikka, thanks to this thread. I wouldn’t say I had a problem with recoil but who doesn’t want less of it! 38 bucks. We will see.

Limbsaver are too soft, especially slip-on. I've been forced to use them on my shotgun when no Pachmayer are available. Sqirrely things won't stay put on the stock. Also, especially with magnum rifles, there is a point of diminishing return for recoil pad softness. Too soft and they just let the recoil pass on through unmolested. Think of a birthday balloon. Very soft but it won't absorb any hard punches worth a damn.

How heavy is your rifle? Magnum should be at LEAST 8 lbs or you'll get beat up no matter what. If you don't like carrying a heavy rifle, buy a non-magnum ... or some big boy pants.

A butt pad will help a little. But I'm not seeing 60%.

A muzzle brake will significantly lower recoil. It's doesn't make the gun louder. But it redirects the sound just as it does the gasses.

The mercury recoil reducers work fairly well. But they add weight to the back of the rifle. Possibly throwing off the balance.

Everything is a trade off.

Personally, in your situation I'd be looking for a 7mm-08 of my own.
For reals? A brake doesn't make a gun louder? It sure seems louder to me. I have to leave the gun range if someone is shooting one next to me and I have bad hearing.

For reals? A brake doesn't make a gun louder? It sure seems louder to me. I have to leave the gun range if someone is shooting one next to me and I have bad hearing.
They don’t amplify the sound of the gun. Instead they redirect the boom noise out the side (deafening everyone else) instead of out in front of the barrel where the noise less audible. Imagine aiming a speaker or a trumpet or something directly at your face instead of away from you.

I have a relatively lightweight Winchester 338WM, when I first got it, couldn't hardly shoot a box of ammo in one session. Had a new recoil pad installed and had the barrel EDM ported kind of like Magna-port used to do, 4 little 1/2" slots in the 10 and 2 position on the barrel. Now it is much nicer to shoot and the porting did not noticeably increase noise.

I can't stand the percussion in the face from radial brakes when shooting off a bench. My wife can definitely hear the difference from 100 yds away inside the house.

They don’t amplify the sound of the gun. Instead they redirect the boom noise out the side (deafening everyone else) instead of out in front of the barrel where the noise less audible. Imagine aiming a speaker or a trumpet or something directly at your face instead of away from you.
Yup. Now pair that break with a shot in a canyon. And then miss and dump 5 more rounds to shoot a deer.

That was me this year. No more breaks for me.

I just ordered a limbsaver precision fit for my 30-06 Tikka, thanks to this thread. I wouldn’t say I had a problem with recoil but who doesn’t want less of it! 38 bucks. We will see.
I’m confident you’ll be happy with your purchase. I put one on years ago cause my wife wanted to get into hunting and I was worried about how she would deal with the .30-06 recoil in a lighter gun.

Put the precision fit Limbsaver on, went to the range, and not only was the shooting enjoyable for her, it left me wondering why in the world I hadn’t done that years earlier for myself.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back