150gn TTSX in 280 AI

I generally use .050 off the lands as my starting point, And then try several loads that are shorter by .030 increments. Very similar to what everyone else has said. What I usually fine is it either shoots best with the .050 distance, or they keep getting better as you shorten the COL. Three of the four guns that I’ve tried Barnes in shot best right at .050.

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood, but .025 is how much you move incrementally when "fine tuning" seating depth? Like I said before, I don't have a lot of experience with Barnes bullets, but I often test seating depth, but in increments of .01 or even .005. Seems like you'd be skipping over a lot of potential accuracy nodes going .025.

Adjusting seating depth in increments of .005 sure seems like a waste of time and components

Adjusting seating depth in increments of .005 sure seems like a waste of time and components
I don't do it every time, but I've definitely tightened up some load combos that way. And besides, the way I look at it, I just like to tinker, test things, and shoot rifles. And I don't consider any time squeezing a trigger to be wasted.

Back