Never Gets Old

Big Sky

Catching big brookies never gets old! For those of you concerned that my position with FoxPro will distract me from fishing, never fear, I have to have a balance between fishing and coyote hunting to stay happy. In fact we had planned to make a quick coyote stand Saturday morning but got blown out by the wind, so we went fishing instead. Hence, the reason I'm in camouflage.

It's strange how in the photo this fish almost looks a little dried out and nearly dead. I only picked him up long enough for a quick photo and tossed him right back in the water. He sped off like nothing had ever happened. Weird how he's all wrinkled looking in the photo even though he had only been out of the water maybe 30 seconds.
Troy%20Adams%20Brookie%2010-10-15A_zpsx1cyibpv.jpg

My partner is a die-hard fly fisherman. Here he is hooked into his first fish. We had a friendly competition to see who would catch more. I ended up with 6 and he caught 7. However, I will say in my defense I let him have the best area on the small pond as it was his first time up there.
Dave%20McClendon%2010-10-15A_zpsvpvazjtr.jpg

Here's Dave with his first catch of the day.
Dave%20McClendon%2010-10-15B_zpsj8rhsuz6.jpg

While my partner caught one more fish than I did he only caught one male and I caught 2. Here's my second male brookie. Interesting to me was the fact he was also my second fish of the day. I hooked one more male later, but lost him before I could land him. So between us we caught 3 males and 10 females. Weird how the ratio was so one sided.
Troy%20Adams%20Brookie%2010-10-15B_zpsuygs29kq.jpg

My pard with his only male. The thing had a huge head/mouth.
Dave%20McClendon%2010-10-15G_zps0bdrkzft.jpg

Last but not least, a parting shot of the final fish of the trip, and the tie breaker. My partner landed this chunky female to end our excursion. By this time the wind had really picked up and it was time to get off the mountain. I'm glad we did as the wind became insane in the afternoon snapping trees in two and busting branches all over the place. It was crazy, but thankfully my house didn't receive any damage. So all in all, it was a good day! Hope all enjoy the photos.
Dave%20McClendon%2010-10-15C_zpsw2botd2f.jpg

Nice fish as usual. The wind sure did put a stop to our planed Swan hunt. It really sucks in the mud boat in the dark and 4 foot rollers on the lake.
We tried some ducks on the river but where soon pushed out by Float boats.
Keep the fish coming , I'll take care of the coyotes ...:hump:

The fact they are on public land still blows my mind a little. I guess it just proves there are still a few remote places on public land that produce impressive results.

It's strange how in the photo this fish almost looks a little dried out and nearly dead. I only picked him up long enough for a quick photo and tossed him right back in the water. He sped off like nothing had ever happened. Weird how he's all wrinkled looking in the photo even though he had only been out of the water maybe 30 seconds.

My partner is a die-hard fly fisherman. Here he is hooked into his first fish. We had a friendly competition to see who would catch more. I ended up with 6 and he caught 7. However, I will say in my defense I let him have the best area on the small pond as it was his first time up there.

I have never seen that before, are they spawning?

Nah, fly fishermen always beat spin/bait fishers hands down;)

Stunning fish BTW.

Cheers

Richard (avid fly fisherman)

Yes, they are in their full spawn colors. Just for the record I had three fish landed before he got his first fly tied on.

Very beautiful fish. Looks like a very pretty spot to be spending time whether you are catching fish or not though!

The picture of your buddy with a fish on is awesome, makes me want to be there real bad. Congrats on your time well spent.

Just as a side note everyone of these fish were only out of the water for seconds and returned right back to where they came from. None even needed to be revived as they sped off as soon as they hit the water. I know all about the not picking them up by the gills or putting them on grass but the terrain was such that keeping them in the water was not an option as it was too deep. Trying to hold them horizontal caused more damage than it was worth, most of the time as they were too strong to hang on to or too wide to get my hand around. So we took the quickest route to get a pic and then put them back in the water. I'm quite sure they are all doing fine although a little sore in the mouth, but that usually doesn't phase them for very long.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back