Nevada results

Word is results by Wednesday morning (online with your log in), emails next week. Good luck everyone!! My year for sheep. 1% odds (18 points)!!! better than 0.5% when I was a bit younger. :ROFLMAO:

Pretty sure I'll have a dilemma when I draw overlapping sheep and elk tags in Nevada this year. I haven't broken that reality to Mrs. Fin, in the slight chance it doesn't work out that way. Wouldn't want her to get too worked up about my Thanksgiving Day absence, unless completely necessary. But, my witching rods are telling me it is all but a foregone conclusion, just waiting for the tags to show up in the mail.

Word is results by Wednesday morning (online with your log in), emails next week. Good luck everyone!! My year for sheep. 1% odds (18 points)!!! better than 0.5% when I was a bit younger. :ROFLMAO:
You must be putting in for some tough units. With 6 points I had 5% odds in 2 units. Haha now I didn’t apply for either of those But I did apply for a couple it more than 1%

You must be putting in for some tough units. With 6 points I had 5% odds in 2 units. Haha now I didn’t apply for either of those But I did apply for a couple it more than 1%

Such is the big difference between resident and non-resident sheep odds. There was only a single sheep unit with odds over 1% for me and my measly 20 non-resident points. I told Mrs. Fin I might have to move to Nevada for two years to claim as a resident, just to make my sheep points worth the space they are taking up on the NDOW file servers.

Overall hunter numbers in the country may be down but western hunting is exploding.
It certainly does seem like that’s happening. Why do you think it is? Everyone says the glory days of western hunting have gone by , and no I’m not just talking Montana Mule deer , but elk also and not just Montana , Colorado and Wyoming folks complain too about the glory days being gone . So why the rush to the west for hunters now ?

It certainly does seem like that’s happening. Why do you think it is? Everyone says the glory days of western hunting have gone by , and no I’m not just talking Montana Mule deer , but elk also and not just Montana , Colorado and Wyoming folks complain too about the glory days being gone . So why the rush to the west for hunters now ?
Simple, now are the glory days in the future...

Such is the big difference between resident and non-resident sheep odds. There was only a single sheep unit with odds over 1% for me and my measly 20 non-resident points. I told Mrs. Fin I might have to move to Nevada for two years to claim as a resident, just to make my sheep points worth the space they are taking up on the NDOW file servers.
Don’t do that, you’ll take away my chances haha.

I understand that there are elements of truth to the statement that “the gory days are gone”. But I have heard that said for just about everything as long as I’ve been hunting, fishing, skiing, etc.

People wouldn’t be applying for these hunts if it was going to be a bad experience. I think, if anything the interest in western hunting is because of the management successes. In addition to the wealth of information out there, it really isn’t that daunting of a task to come out here and hunt. There are how to guides and resources everywhere. The glory days are how for a lot of people, there are a lot of opportunities out there to be had.

People wouldn’t be applying for these hunts if it was going to be a bad experience.

In NV how would they ever know? A) Other than deer, it’s essentially once in a lifetime. B) if someone has 20 pts, you know they haven’t hunted there in the last twenty years. For NRs most applicants are going on something the saw on TV, read in a magazine, or heard from a friend, and it’s really not uncommon for the experience to be a LOT different from what they actually expected.

In NV how would they ever know? A) Other than deer, it’s essentially once in a lifetime. B) if someone has 20 pts, you know they haven’t hunted there in the last twenty years. For NRs most applicants are going on something the saw on TV, read in a magazine, or heard from a friend, and it’s really not uncommon for the experience to be a LOT different from what they actually expected.

That’s what I’m saying, there are so many resources you can really get a pretty damn good idea what any unit is like without ever stepping foot in the area. A few years ago it was hard to even tell what land was public, now you pull up onX and that answers all those questions. That’s used to be and still is a huge question a lot of people have, “where can I hunt”.

google search any hunt you want and pretty much there’s a whole first page of results including ten forum threads that pretty much tell you what someone can expect. I’m literally surprised if I search an area and don’t find anything useful online. Add in YouTube and social media and you can dig up a lot of stuff. The barrier to entry seems pretty low to me.

Even then the actual hunt might be different than someone expects, but that said most people just go in with an idea, which is really all any hunter has done on “adventure” hunts for a long time. Have an idea, make it happen. That’s half the fun.

Pretty sure I'll have a dilemma when I draw overlapping sheep and elk tags in Nevada this year. I haven't broken that reality to Mrs. Fin, in the slight chance it doesn't work out that way. Wouldn't want her to get too worked up about my Thanksgiving Day absence, unless completely necessary. But, my witching rods are telling me it is all but a foregone conclusion, just waiting for the tags to show up in the mail.

I'll put out a Thanksgiving Day spread in camp so you can tell Mrs. Fin not to worry.

That’s what I’m saying, there are so many resources you can really get a pretty damn good idea what any unit is like without ever stepping foot in the area. A few years ago it was hard to even tell what land was public, now you pull up onX and that answers all those questions. That’s used to be and still is a huge question a lot of people have, “where can I hunt”.

google search any hunt you want and pretty much there’s a whole first page of results including ten forum threads that pretty much tell you what someone can expect. I’m literally surprised if I search an area and don’t find anything useful online. Add in YouTube and social media and you can dig up a lot of stuff. The barrier to entry seems pretty low to me.

Even then the actual hunt might be different than someone expects, but that said most people just go in with an idea, which is really all any hunter has done on “adventure” hunts for a long time. Have an idea, make it happen. That’s half the fun.

I meant the opposite. The increase in NR apps is not being driven by quality. A lot of NRs, especially In NV, have never seen or experienced it. It’s being driven by perception, and that perception is being driven by TV, internet, magazines, and is often not quite reality.

All that said, for the adventurous type, the experience is out there. I’m a firm believer that although the best places are probably the best, the difference between the best, and the average, is rarely worth the wait. Hopefully people won’t catch on, and will keep swamping the long shots, while I keep drawing the easy tags.(although this year I’ve been extremely lucky twice 😬)

I’ve lived in the Midwest my whole life, and have started applying out west for nearly every species in most logical states. I think the internet age has made a big difference. I always dreamed of it but now the information/knowledge is so accessible that it appears much more doable (though it probably always was). Between YouTube, Podcasts, OnX, GoHunt and many more the information is at your fingertips. Then you get out there and it’s absolutely breathtaking. Even if you don’t see game the landscapes and experiences your having are terrific. I’ll always love hunting white tails but sitting in a tree stand for hours on end was never appealing. I will be going out west for at least one hunt a year for the rest of my life. Likely many more a year once I retire. Just one perspective from a lifelong Midwesterner.

Back