Caribou Gear Tarp

Nevada - Is it Worth it?

If you look at the stats drawing tags has gotten a lot harder. A lot of the guys that have had a lot of tags and lucky draws drew them 10-20 years ago. Odds are dismal we are playing the lottery at this point. If you don’t like it quit because it’s expensive and most likely you are not going to get glory tags like some of the older guys on here.

Again more singling out & embellishment. Neither Randy nor I “rip on” Nevada. We just don’t believe it’s a good investment for a ground floor applicant, much due to their squared point system. It’s just that simple.

You're citing Randy a lot in support of your opinion. Do you have a quote or video reference showing where he actually agrees with you? I've watched a lot of Randy's videos and I haven't seen him discourage someone from applying in Nevada. That'd be kind of strange because he hunts there all the time. He probably says something like "Nevada has mid term and long term options, decide if that fits in your hunting goals."

You're citing Randy a lot in support of your opinion. Do you have a quote or video reference showing where he actually agrees with you? I've watched a lot of Randy's videos and I haven't seen him discourage someone from applying in Nevada. That'd be kind of strange because he hunts there all the time. He probably says something like "Nevada has mid term and long term options, decide if that fits in your hunting goals."
I thought he had a mouse in his pocket when he says “we”. Want to argue your point find. Don’t hide behind someone else. All odds in all western states is getting worse and worse. You have to play to draw a tag. Unless you have enough disposable income you want to spend on auction and landowner tags. I would prefer to hunt DIY and draw tags. My disposable income is better spent investing for my family’s future to pass on to my children. One day I might spend some on landowner tags.

Last edited:
Hunting isn't a good investment, it's that simple. Don't care where you apply. It's not your money they're spending so who cares? For people with a desire to hunt Nevada, they should apply, in particular for desert sheep.

If you're worried about good investments, try the stock market, I suggest the S&P.
better yet, save your stupid points and lame ass hunting foo apps… buy an outfitter let them hunt for you…” gee I waited 20yrs for my elk tag” dumbo could of tried a Res, saved the time and money .. “should i try Nevada” dude, gtfoh and hunt your own state .

That’s why I kinda haven’t posted photos of my 20 P&Y’s or papers as demanded by Desk Dude. I post photos sometimes, but mostly in topic specific trophy threads.

BTW - I really don’t think 20 P&Y’s is any big feat for anyone who has hunted for 30 years. I mean dang, the dude I sat next to at the SL P&Y convention a few years ago had 180. We all sat at Big Dan’s Bowsite table. Even for a public land hunter like myself, 20 is very doable if you hunt Iowa and/or Illinois annually.
shortman.jpg

Why the hell would I list my units more than I have? What are you even saying? The units for two of them are on HT already...in the thread titles. I've showed you mine already, show me yours big dawg.

Let's see your P&Ys Mr. Chuck Adams.
It’s not just your longshot draw we are curious about. It’s your two other guys in the group who you claim drew what I interpret as 1% odds hunts, if what you describe is really true. I think a newbie would be interested to confirm it’s realistic to draw seven <1% odds hunts between 3 guys in a few years. As folks like me mention I’ve not drawn a single <1% odds hunt in 30 years, 1,200 applications.

You seriously want me to post all my P&Y’s? I’ve been on 5+ major hunting forums for ~25 years. I think everyone who’s anyone knows my handle and can confirm the 20 P&Y’s is a conservative estimate. I mean I shot a 195” P&Y/B&C whitetail just two seasons ago. Do a forum search. P&Y is only 125”. You really think someone who has the experience to take a 195” has any trouble at all taking 125’s? Do you really require 20 photos? I see no need to be labeled a show off. Just do some forum searches.

Perhaps the best thing for newbies considering either entering NV or UT from the ground floor should just view some Fresh Tracks videos on the topic. I think Randy has a bit more credibility than blowhards on a free chat forum. Easy for them to blow your money. I’ll search some up and post for the OP.

If you look at the stats drawing tags has gotten a lot harder. A lot of the guys that have had a lot of tags and lucky draws drew them 10-20 years ago. Odds are dismal we are playing the lottery at this point. If you don’t like it quit because it’s expensive and most likely you are not going to get glory tags like some of the older guys on here.
I agree, and newbies need only study the draw odds to confirm this. Especially with regards to NV & UT.

That’s all the proof I need @Desk Pop I once read chuck Adam’s wouldn’t shake hands with anyone less that 25 p&y animals. He views them as a lesser human so should probably just leave it alone
Seems like a good policy. 😃

He’s the one who brought Chuck into the discussion, not me.

That’s all the proof I need @Desk Pop I once read chuck Adam’s wouldn’t shake hands with anyone less that 25 p&y animals. He views them as a lesser human so should probably just leave it alone
OK but only because a few HT greenhorns insist. Underestimated a bit. 17 on the garage wall, 3 more on the floor, 2 on the work bench, 2 in my office, and one at a buddy’s house = 25. Five of these have not yet been officially measured, but easily qualify. I have passed on a boat load more. Standards get higher as I get older. Need to mention I was lucky to start hunting in the glory days when applicants were FAR fewer, and odds FAR better. ALL the tags for my 320”-350” elk were either drawn 10+ years ago, or the points accumulated starting decades ago. No way I could draw these today. IMG_1005.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpeg
    IMG_1006.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1007.jpeg
    IMG_1007.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1008.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8666.jpeg
    IMG_8666.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
What’s your next excuse? I shot these with a gun, or this is not my house? Or maybe only 15 on the wall look big enuf to qualify? Take yur pick.

What’s your next excuse? I shot these with a gun, or this is not my house? Or maybe only 15 on the wall look big enuf to qualify? Take yur pick.
In all honesty that’s neat I’m happy for you. p&y minimum is pretty sad in my opinion. The scores are way too low but hey you made the book. I also got a bunch that would make it never cared to put them in.

Man, this thread really went downhill... don't some of yall just want to PM each other the crap talk?
Since people prefer to make personal attacks on me rather than acknowledge Randy’s matching opinions on NV & UT, I’m just going to post links to a few Fresh Tracks links that address the OP’s question. Start with this one:

https://youtu.be/8EdgtVzGAd8?si=8m_4KRrQJFU5pzFh

In all honesty that’s neat I’m happy for you. p&y minimum is pretty sad in my opinion. The scores are way too low but hey you made the book. I also got a bunch that would make it never cared to put them in.
Not asking for anyone to be happy for me. Just respect my opinion on the OP’s question. I think I’ve earned that.

Playing Powerball & applying in NV & UT from the ground floor is just a tax on people bad at math.

Not asking for anyone to be happy for me. Just respect my opinion on the OP’s question. I think I’ve earned that.

Playing Powerball & applying in NV & UT from the ground floor is just a tax on people bad at math.
Depends on how you look at it I just applied for Alaska spent a couple hundred bucks on tags in the 1-5% range knowing I’ll probably never see them. But if I didn’t apply i definitely would have never got the opportunity. That state has been good to me and I view the money I give the agency as a donation. If your applying for anything without the idea of it’s a good donation for conservation that maybe some
Day you’ll get something back from your gonna have a bad time

Back