Nevada FCFS Virtually Dead for NRs

Would you rather they go to an "alternate list" like most other states do? It's not as bad as it could be...

I wish returned tags were first offered to the Wounded Warrior, Handicapped Hunter, and Youth programs before relisting the tags for FCFS residents and FCFS nonresidents. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

I wish returned tags were first offered to the Wounded Warrior, Handicapped Hunter, and Youth programs before relisting the tags for FCFS residents and FCFS nonresidents. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
"Tag holders may choose to transfer their tag to a qualified, non-profit organization who would facilitate the tag being awarded to another individual represented by the organization and who meets specific criteria for participation in the tag transfer program. (AB 89/CGR 501)"

New for this year.

I hate the turn back in for any reason. I'm ok with death, medical or military.

If you applied for it, and don't have a medical, death or military excuse, hunt it. No scouting then turning it in. If you have a conflict, consider that before applying for overlapping hunts.
As a former Nevada resident where every single big game tag is a limited entry and there are no guaranteed draws, it's a bit tough to get tags already. I'm primarily an archery guy who has 5 page excel spreadsheets for my draw odds and plan. But by turning in tags, if you do happen to draw overlapping tags it at least gives you an option.

In states that have OTC options, I think it would be different, but Nevada is a unique place if you like to hunt often and not once every 5 years. I got moved to Idaho with a work transfer and now I'm spoiled. Definitely not the same as a NV elk hunt (seemingly no competition if you can walk further than 50 yards from your SxS) but chasing elk 30 minutes from my house every year is pretty hard to beat.

Well Nevada has officially lost any future money from me.
In 2022 I was extremely fortunate to draw a Ruby's archery deer tag in the second draw.
I also picked up a FCFS unit 051 early rifle antlered elk tag, sept 17-30 (Resident only).
And a FCFS unit 033 horns long than ears pronghorn tag.
All as a non resident.
I am already on 7 year wait for elk and 3 year wait for pronghorn.
There is no point for me to waste money on points after the waiting period, that would take an eternity to draw a tag. I'd rather just wait until i'm older to purchase Landowner tags, probably not much difference in cost either after waiting 30-40 years to draw.

I hate the turn back in for any reason. I'm ok with death, medical or military.

If you applied for it, and don't have a medical, death or military excuse, hunt it. No scouting then turning it in. If you have a conflict, consider that before applying for overlapping hunts.
Sometimes a unit is just not up to par with the points. I’ve never done it but may dad has after hunting with me for two weeks he turned back his black powder tag.

"Tag holders may choose to transfer their tag to a qualified, non-profit organization who would facilitate the tag being awarded to another individual represented by the organization and who meets specific criteria for participation in the tag transfer program. (AB 89/CGR 501)"

New for this year.

Donate to an organization, lose your points and go in to any waiting period

Or, turn it back in, get all points back, get point for current year.

I wonder which folks will choose?

Donate to an organization, lose your points and go in to any waiting period

Or, turn it back in, get all points back, get point for current year.

I wonder which folks will choose?

Hopefully, Nevada and Utah will eventually have a Point Guard and Point Guard Plus program much like Arizona.

If you bought Point Guard in Arizona and then donate your tag to a charitable organization then you get your points back and no waiting period.

For what it’s worth, Arizona seems ahead of several other Western states regarding tag donations and support of and to charitable entities. Good for them. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Hopefully, Nevada and Utah will eventually have a Point Guard and Point Guard Plus program much like Arizona.
Bull chit point protection is already inherent in the Nevada process. But you want them to use an AZ process instead and charge separately for it?

If you bought Point Guard in Arizona and then donate your tag to a charitable organization then you get your points back and no waiting period.

For what it’s worth, Arizona seems ahead of several other Western states regarding tag donations and support of and to charitable entities. Good for them. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
Or even better get rid of points.

I watched some of the meetings where this was discussed. It was said resident return vs non-resident return was 10-1.

So if you are a NR obtaining a tag via FCFS is now harder by a factor of 10.

I benefitted to the tune of an antelope tag two years ago but I dont blame them for changing it. The Utah tag pimp services and their click farms were pretty brazen about how many tags they were pulling off of that service. Guys killing two bucks, a bull, and an antelope in one year bragging about it all over the net and podcasts etc does tend to piss people off when they have been waiting for those tags for a long time.

As usual the commercialization of wildlife by Utah folks harms everyone.

Sometimes a unit is just not up to par with the points. I’ve never done it but may dad has after hunting with me for two weeks he turned back his black powder tag.
In reality no unit is truly up to par with the points if that is what metric is used.

Is a 170 buck worth 10 points?
180?
190?
150?

What about 15, or 5 points?

How is that metric measured?

That mentality is what is actually taking away from hunting, what anti hunters don't understand, and what is actually driving the point creep up.

Apply for a tag. If you draw hunt. Find the best animal you can and be happy. Or eat the tag.

If a person is so far into the point game, and there is concern over a specific size animal being worth the number of points it takes to draw, then why even apply for the hunt in the first place?

If someone takes a turned in tag, and kills that 150 buck you passed up before turning in the tag, it accomplished nothing, and the deer that could have put on 20 inches over the next year is now in someone else's freezer. If a person just eats a tag, the animal still has a potential to grow larger for next year and make that hunter, or another hunter happy.

And the person who turned in the tag now has one more point expecting more out of a hunt at couldn't be found the year before with fewer points, with the tag not being worth it then.

So now we have this vicious cycle, and doing the same thing expecting different results.

The quintessential Nevada tag strategy…especially for the NR is….
1. Pick 5 units/unit groups (geographically speaking) you wouldn’t mind hunting for that species.
2. Pick weapon types for those 5 units/hunt choices you wouldn’t mind employing if you were to draw.
3. Apply.
4. Hope, wish, pray you draw one of those 5 choices, knowing that a squared Bonus Point system garners no 100% chance of drawing a tag.

Merely a big raffle, which chances go up a little with more tickets (points in this case), but never a guaranty.

I love the surprise and suspense of the Nevada draw.

In reality no unit is truly up to par with the points if that is what metric is used.

180?
190?
150?

That mentality is what is actually taking away from hunting, what anti hunters don't understand, and what is actually driving the point creep up.

Apply for a tag. If you draw hunt. Find the best animal you can and be happy. Or eat the tag.

If a person is so far into the point game, and there is concern over a specific size animal being worth the number of points it takes to draw, then why even apply for the hunt in the first place?

If someone takes a turned in tag, and kills that 150 buck you passed up before turning in the tag, it accomplished nothing, and the deer that could have put on 20 inches over the next year is now in someone else's freezer. If a person just eats a tag, the animal still has a potential to grow larger for next year and make that hunter, or another hunter happy.

And the person who turned in the tag now has one more point expecting more out of a hunt at couldn't be found the year before with fewer points, with the tag not being worth it then.

So now we have this vicious cycle, and doing the same thing expecting different results.

180?
190?
150?

This is put perfectly for Nevada. In a Preference Point system you could justify (a little more at least) the statement of a hunt or units “being worth X amount of points”. Not at all in a bonus point system such as Nevada’s. Look thru the bonus point data for Nevada, from year to year, and you’ll see tags drawn at different point levels. A hunt will have 5 tags available and point holders from 0-20 applying. Many times you’ll see all 5 tags drawn by the 0-5 bonus point holders. It’s all over the map year in/out.

Well Nevada has officially lost any future money from me.
In 2022 I was extremely fortunate to draw a Ruby's archery deer tag in the second draw.
I also picked up a FCFS unit 051 early rifle antlered elk tag, sept 17-30 (Resident only).
And a FCFS unit 033 horns long than ears pronghorn tag.
All as a non resident.
I am already on 7 year wait for elk and 3 year wait for pronghorn.
There is no point for me to waste money on points after the waiting period, that would take an eternity to draw a tag. I'd rather just wait until i'm older to purchase Landowner tags, probably not much difference in cost either after waiting 30-40 years to draw.
1681063133569.png

It makes sense, but dang. I never got a FCFS tag, but tried.

I just get tired of people, particularly the license app companies, blowing up every tiny opportunity to everyone so that they can appear to be in the know. It just gets old, and it ends up contributing to less opportunity.

Instead of just saying, "I killed an elk in Nevada," it's, "hey everyone, I kill an elk in Nevada on this new first come first serve opportunity where they are selling tags on short notice....you should do it too!"

I have several off-season, DIY hunts I love and do regularly and know as soon as these application companies find out about them they will no longer be obtainable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back