Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Nevada FCFS Virtually Dead for NRs

Now I see on the application page you can be in line as an ALTERNATE....

As a resident I'm obviously stoked about this. I think it's unfair that we have same blackout periods as NR's for elk so it kind of balances fairness out a little. What I don't get is why they won't let people accumulate points DURING the blackout period...or at least a few years of the 7 year period. Anyone know why this is?

As a resident I'm obviously stoked about this. I think it's unfair that we have same blackout periods as NR's for elk so it kind of balances fairness out a little. What I don't get is why they won't let people accumulate points DURING the blackout period...or at least a few years of the 7 year period. Anyone know why this is?

If you pitch it to them as a way to make additional revenue, they'll probably go for it. ;)

QQ

I would go to say that it’s probably to create other opportunities for the other individuals on top of being out of the draw X amount of years. If can purchase points while waiting you would drop into the draw like you never skipped a beat.

I think that is the whole point of the "waiting period". Why should anyone have a head start with points?

I think that is the whole point of the "waiting period". Why should anyone have a head start with points?
Because not being able to hunt in a state you're a resident in for 7 years is already an unjust punishment. Nevada has tons of elk. Residents shouldn't have to wait 10+ years between each bull elk hunt opportunities. However, I'll flip my take on it and say that I constantly see bull elk tags pop up on FCFS so not having points probably won't be an issue if things stay the same.

Because not being able to hunt in a state you're a resident in for 7 years is already an unjust punishment. Nevada has tons of elk. Residents shouldn't have to wait 10+ years between each bull elk hunt opportunities. However, I'll flip my take on it and say that I constantly see bull elk tags pop up on FCFS so not having points probably won't be an issue if things stay the same.
Well I don't know where you get the idea that NV has TONS of elk, we don't especially compared to most other western states.
Estimated NV elk population-17,500 By far the lowest population.
New Mexico-70,000
Arizona-35,000
Colorado-262,000
Montana 150,000
Utah-68,000
I have no problem with a 7 year waiting period for bull elk, 10 for bighorn, 3 for antelope and so on.
Perhaps you're too young to remember the days of going hunting and be lucky to even see a deer. Elk were almost unheard of in NV when I was young. I'd like to keep the population growing by not overharvesting because hunters don't want to wait. I truly believe this is also the reason NV has so many BIG bulls.
Feel free to move to a state where you can but OTC elk tags and hunt EVERY year.

Last edited:
The wait period is to ever so slightly increase draw odds for people who have not drawn. If they allowed you to accumulate points while waiting, then you’d be right back in at 7pts after the wait period. Because drawing at fewer than 7pts is so unlikely, the wait period would do essentially nothing if you could accumulate points the whole time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back