Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nevada Bull

CABugle

Got back from my Nevada elk hunt that took me 10 years to draw. After getting as much info from people here on this site as well as others I headed out four days early to do some scouting. On day two I was able to locate a group of about 600 elk with several nice bulls. I watched these elk for a few days and was able to patteren and focus on one bull that I really liked.

Before the hunt started I was joined by my friend Mike who was a huge help spotting as well as packing. On opening day we climbed to a 10,000 ft peak (I thought I was in shape,Not) and waiting about a half hour in the dark as well as freezing, we where able at first light to pick out elk as they where feeding on an open hill side. Knowing that there where many more elk on that ridge as well as more hunters we decided to be patient and let the elk get pushed up into a saddle where we could intercept them. At about 7:30am the elk where starting to funnel through the saddle but so far no big bulls. Then as gun shots start to ring out I hear a deep bugle from some trees to my left, as look that way I see the bull I had been looking for heading for the saddle. After ranging him at 458 yards and knowing he wasn't going to get any closer I decided to take him.

It was a great hunt and being able to spend to time in the town of Jarbidge was really cool and the people where really nice. Also having to spend two days packing him out, I was sure glad that we both had Mystery ranch packs because they make a tough job much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 715
Congrats on a fantastic bull. It is always nice when all the hard work pays off. And this time it looks like it paid off big time.

Nice work right there...congrats on a great bull. Hopefully my number will come up in Nevada sooner rather than later.

Love the ridge behind the horns and pack! When you say that you saw 600 head most people find that hard to believe. I believe you! Was the bull with the broken right side still in the heard? Nice bull and congrats.

I was with mat on this hunt and the only thing more impressive than his preparation for the hunt was the weight of a big bulls cape and horns. We caped the bull to take to the taxidermist and when we got home mat said just the cape was 58lbs. Bless those Mystery Ranch packs. Everything on this hunt went perfect, even had time for a great diner at the Star restaurant in elko.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back