Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Nevada Archery Mule Deer

Good Job Randy! looks like your starting to catch on to this archery gig, good for you! Any animal taken with a bow is more of a trophy than an animal the same size with a rifle.

Great to see that smile again, this time behind a STUD of a buck, congrats again, and thanks for taking us on this journey

I always like to add a few equipment thoughts on any of these hunts. This hunt had a few items that will now be on my equipment list the rest of the season.

Thermarest Neoair sleeping pad - I can thank Carl from here on Hunt Talk for the next three ideas. I had thought about these, but he really convinced me of the value of this lightweight option. He was dead on with the value this sleeping pad provides.

Rab Bivy sack - This is a waterproof sleeping system that gave me the comfort to start using my down bag in instances when I thought we might have moisture. I left my sleeping system on the ground in NV and we had a torrential afternoon rainstorm. I was worried. Came back and everything was dry as can be. I have hear rumor that this is possibly being discontinued. Hopefully replaced by something even better.

Helleberg Nallo 2 GT Tent - If you are going to invest in a tent, this is the way to go. Lightweight and virtually indestructible. If you can tear this fabric, you used a knife. And it is a two system tent, where you have an inner tent and outer tent. The highly breathable fabric allows any condensation to accumulate in the outer tent, leaving you very dry. And the big vestibule lets you stow your gear out of the weather. I slept in this every night in New Mexico and it rained every day and night. Never felt a drop of rain.

I hope Carl and add some more comments to these products. Carl is the backpack hunter at High Caliber Gear. They are not a sponsor, but I have come to be very impressed with his knowledge and the quality of gear they carry. And, their ability to answer questions and find the stuff that fits your application. Here is their website. High Caliber Gear. Their phone number is 406-582-7901

Kenetrek Hardscrabble Light hunting boots - These are about the best early season boots you can find. I have the Mountain Extreme 400 insulated boots for the colder weather. They have been great. So, I thought I would try to find a warm weather boot with the same support and quality, with hopefully a little less weight. I found it. Used these on both hunts and while hiking this summer. Very impressive.

Some other good stuff was tried that will get even more of a test drive this season. Will let you know what works good.

That is a fantastic buck Randy! A P&Y contender. You going to have him officially measured?

That is a fantastic buck Randy! A P&Y contender. You going to have him officially measured?

Thanks. Probably have him measured, just to see where he ends up. Not sure if I will enter him if he did meet the minimum.

Here are the round numbers I came up with. Both sides are almost identical. Should be little symmetry deduction.

Bases - 4"
C1 - 4"
C2 - 3.5"
C3 - 3.5"
Main Beam - 21"
G2 - 18"
G3 - 10"
G4 - 10"

Inside spread 17"

Take away a few inches for my rough calcs and he should still net well above the 145" minimum for P&Y. Tine length is king for deer measurements and he has that.

Thanks. Take away a few inches for my rough calcs and he should still net well above the 145" minimum for P&Y. Tine length is king for deer measurements and he has that.

yea he has some nice fronts that make up a lot.

Which Bivy sack???

Integral Designs EXP Unishelter

This is the easiest shelter to get in and out of. The single hoop pole provides clear space around your head and shoulders allowing you to move and to read a book.
Price: $294.99

Integral Designs Micro Bivy

The lightest bivy in the Integral Designs bivy line suited for the go lighter.
Price: $209.99

Integral Designs Unishelter Exp. Event Version

Designed for multiday wilderness travel, providing adequate shelter room for individuals needing their own space Price: $319.99

Which Bivy sack???

Sorry JC, I just noticed the Rab bivy is not on that page. I will try to reach Carl and find out where to get that. He got it for me. It is very good. I will now use my down bag pretty much anywhere I want, knowing that will keep it from getting wet.

Nice job Randy and crew! Sounds like you have some excellent footage. I really like that country, too.

In the interest of not jinxing you I won't mention your batting average. ;)

Randy and Jose,

Regarding the bivi sack, it is indeed the Rab Ultra Bivy.

It doesn't show up on our site because we are currently out of stock, let me know if you are interested though, as Rab corporate may have some left yet. I consider it to be more of a 'sleeping bag cover' than an expedition style bivy sack. The best use for it, I feel, is in conjunction with a tarp or tarp shelter, or to double the protection for a down bag in very wet conditions. It weighs only 6.6 oz (just got out the scale to check!) and will breath much better than most bivys.

Modern materials and coatings, do pretty amazing things.

Carl,
One question about that bivy: I saw on one website that the dimensions are 84"x31". If that is accurate, it seems that the sack might constrict some sleeping bags? A width of 31" is about minimum for a "regular" sized bag from most companies.

Back