Yeti GOBOX Collection

Netflix adds another hunting show

I have it on right now, and the first episode is a guided elk hunt in Idaho, and seems a little over-done. Good to have another hunting show on Netflix, but I would rather see more seasons of Meateater than this show right now.

I watched a little of the first episode of "Frontier", mistakenly thinking that Hollywood would have a historical representation of the trapping heyday....not so. It's another stupid Hollywood rendition of twisted plots...

I will have to check out the Hunt

I watched a little of the first episode of "Frontier", mistakenly thinking that Hollywood would have a historical representation of the trapping heyday....not so. It's another stupid Hollywood rendition of twisted plots...

I think I made it about 1/3 of the way through the first episode of that before switching back to Family Guy reruns.

I made it through two episodes of "Frontier" before I gave up.

One of the challenges is when you have completed a few hunts for a species, say elk, that I find it is not that interesting to watch someone else on television hunting elk UNLESS they are taking me inside the head of the hunter. I want to know why this hunt, why this day, why this ridge, why did or didn't call or make a stalk. What was the mental state of mind at that point, i.e. anxious, confident, worn out, etc. Every hunt I go on there is Plan A and then that plan usually blows up which is when need to freelance a bit and deciding the strategy for the afternoon or the next morning can be some of the most agonizing decisions when have more places to hike or check-out than have time to see them all. Staring at the map and the circles and arrows from pre-hunt e-scouting and conversations with prior year hunters and now a bit of chaos so need to deal with a lot of data points that are not that obvious as to which spot to head. My 2 cents. A gear review is hit or miss since, unless am looking to upgrade or replace, becomes merely an imbedded advertisement.

Randy does a good job. Rinella always gets into the motivation of why he is on the hunt and the cooking segments, usually over fire, are interesting. Most other show lose me as am not sure what day of the hunt is or any of the strategy as to why are on that ridge glassing a herd of elk. Usually that type of show begins with a lodge scene of the hunter arriving and some big critters up on the wall, the hunter is usually close to 3 bills, next shot is putting on boots at o-dark-thirty then the pressed camo shirt, big breakfast of eggs and bacon and pancakes, guide and hunter get in the UTV or big truck and drive away from lodge, scenery, scenery, scenery, critters, the big critter, boom with an obvious hit a bit back of ideal, 6 guys in a hero shot chanting one shot-one kill and hammered that big boy, and then credits rolling with how to contact the guide. I feel, well, slimy after watching that type of show.

Yeah this show has a lot of product mentions....after every kill he name drops. I used to just suck up every hunting show I could, but now, I really only like to watch Randy, Western Hunter, Solo Hunter, and Meateater. Like I said before, it's a good thing that this show is now out there exposing more people to hunting, but would have preferred just having more seasons of Meateater or even one of Randy's shows popping up.

I'm torn, I want Netflix to show more hunting shows so I'm inclined to give it a high rating, especially if they present hunting ethically and highlight conservation, etc. And there are times where Rinella even has some folks to help him find game.

But I just don't care to see professional hunters doing it the easy way. Maybe they have some diy stuff too? I'll give it a shot.

LopeHunter nailed it on the summary of basically every bad hunting show out there. Staggeringly predictable, same plot, same "dude" hunter character, same silly quotes, fist pumping, etc. If I see another flat billed hat (especially on backwards) wearing yahoo yell "dirt nap" I am going to 'long range' shoot my TV from across the room...

The part that I always question is why can't they ever show what happens AFTER the shot -- the quartering, packing/hauling, the staggering out by headlamp, the crappy weather, etc. Oh, that's right....those kind of hunts/shows don't do that. Guides and packers do that. I'll stick with Randy's and Rinella's shows.

MeatEater, Fresh Tracks, and Solo Hunter are literally the only hunting shows I've watched in the past 2 years since I cancelled my cable. Nothing else interests me - no interest in guided, private land, managed property hunts. Why is this model for hunting programming not expanding to more shows? How many times do we need to see a "hunting celebrity" shoot a huge whitetail on a posted farmland until you've seen enough?

The Venn diagram of fans of those 3 shows, certainly ME and FT, have to overlap considerably. You would think that model would relate to more people, because most time spent hunting is DIY, and either public land or "unmanaged" private land. Maybe we just all think alike, but the mass market is for the type of shows that ME/FT/SH fans just don't like.

I think some of the issue is that on the shows where it is self guided, public land hunting there is a very real chance that the host/hunter may miss or not even have an opportunity on taking a critter. If I remember correctly, Randy even mentioned in a few podcasts that there is pressure for a kill from the networks. So while most of us can relate better to shows like Fresh Tracks, Solo Hunter, etc...a lot of the money/notoriety comes from big bucks on the ground, even if they are from a very controlled ranch.

Regardless of whether or not you like this new show, I think it's worth our time to give it a high rating and contact netflix saying you appreciate the addition of new shows to the hunting/outdoors genre and want to see more.

I agree that this particular show is not my cup of tea but I think the host is well spoken enough to be a good representative of hunting if any non hunters stumble upon this show. This same show has been on Amazon Prime for some time and I've watched most of the episodes. It is better than some shows I see on the networks that are Bubba hunters with accents that I have a hard time understanding. Not that there is anything wrong with Bubba or his drawl it just reinforces a stereotype that the antis love to bash.

I think I made it about 1/3 of the way through the first episode of that before switching back to Family Guy reruns.

I somehow made it to the second episode. I also enjoy the nightly family guy reruns as well as King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers.

The part that I always question is why can't they ever show what happens AFTER the shot -- the quartering, packing/hauling, the staggering out by headlamp, the crappy weather, etc.

Not sure what the restrictions are on the Sportsman Channel, but when we were originally on the Outdoor Channel, there were network restrictions about what we were allowed to show. No shots on bedded animals. No field processing. There were a handful of others that I can't remember at the moment, but the network was fairly strict about this.

Thanks for the heads up.
Boy can that host talk, does he actually take a breath before each sentence?

Cheers

Richard

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back