Nephews 1st Elk!

Summitthunting

I flew my nephew (13yrs) in from Bozeman to Denver for his Christmas break. Took him and my cousin (11yrs) from Louisiana on a cow elk hunt in Craig, CO. We only had two days to hunt and the 18 inches of snow didn't help getting around. Late on the first day we found a lone calf, I assume mama was wacked a few days before by the sign. We stalked to 150yds and my nephew said he wanted to shoot it. He was shooting a 7mm-08 with 140gr triple shocks and they did the job well. The first shot hit at the base of the neck but it actually got up and started walking across the draw. I told him to shoot it again and it fell just as he shot. The second shot demolished the liver and we had an elk. Not exactly what I had hoped to find but it’s an elk and he was happy as could be. My cousin from Louisiana is already trying to talk his mom into letting him come out next year for a cow hunt.

Attachments

• hunt1.JPG
    hunt1.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 182
  • hunt2.JPG
    hunt2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 188
  • hunt4.JPG
    hunt4.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 181
Congrats to the entire hunting party. Great way to get the kids out in the field over break. Way better than vegging out in front of the tube.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back