Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nephew drew CA Tule elk Tag

GoatHntr

With my wife, mother-in-law, son, and nephew Nathan, it was a proud moment when I opened my nephew’s draw results at our dining room table last week to see that my nephew drew 1 of 2 tags for an apprentice tule elk hunt here in California. Although an antlerless tag it is still an honor to hunt any elk I believe, and a tule elk nevertheless. I estimate draw odds to be about .2% so it was definitely a shock. I literally dropped my phone in disbelief and I could hardly get out the words “he drew an elk tag”, and everyone cheered him on! We have already started training. He has no problems grouping at 100yds with a 30/06. We will extend the distance a bit over the next couple months. I can’t wait to take him on the hunt and I hope he gets his elk. An experience he will no doubt return to throughout his life.

Good hunting,
Chris

Wow. That’s awesome. Congrats to your nephew. Looking forward to the write-up!

Congrats! I went to grizzly island cow with my uncle in 2002 or so, he then drew a few years later... enjoy and glad to see y’all get it!

Thanks guys I appreciate it! @rmyoung1 i will for sure post a story and pictures. It will be a good experience! @gjensen very cool you got to hunt Grizzly island it’s a rare tag indeed!

That's awesome, a tule tag is the one tag I'm holding out for (MSG tags excluded). Congrats to him, my some will be up for big game in a couple of years.
Thanks jr. good luck to you and your son!

The Tule tag club is very exclusive. I found previous tag holders are pretty helpful and open on places to look.

Last edited:
Wow, very rare to hold a Tule elk tag! One tag I hope to hold at one point in my life! Congrats to him and I hope lots of luck shines your way!
Matt
Me too. Amazingly my wife drew a tule cow Tag 3 years ago and was successful. It was really cool. I’ve got 13pts might burn them on a cow tag next year since catching the bull tag is impossible without max pts...

Used to blast ducks,geese & pheasant @ Grizzly Island.
Saw lots of elk even back in the day.
I wound up getting a LO tag from a rancher friend, as I never drew with one less than max points. That La Panza cow's hide is on my couch,hair on. Beautiful elk.

definitely a decent place to duck hunt. I would like to hunt La Panza as well but also very difficult to draw as you mention. El definitely make beautiful hides. Did you get it done at golden state tannery by chance?

definitely a decent place to duck hunt. I would like to hunt La Panza as well but also very difficult to draw as you mention. El definitely make beautiful hides. Did you get it done at golden state tannery by chance?
Yes. Peterson Taxidermy sent it to them for me.

Back