Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Need some truck advice - F-150 down...

Took my 2013 F-150 to the dealer for a tune up and they come back with the bad news....#8 cylinder is dead. 20% Compression. Never missed a service on it. It's the 5.0 Coyote V8 with only 89,000 miles. Dealer basically said "sorry bro". They quoted $8K for a new crate engine that won't even be here until April.

What would you do? Replace the engine or trade it in and start over? Blue book looks like it was $14k. Hard to justify putting a new engine in it for over half the value. Eyeballing new Tacos but the price of new trucks just keeps going up and I know I will miss having a paid off vehicle...
Had a 99 tacoma with 210K mi - biggest repair was a bad u-joint. Wanted more space, modern goodies, AT, so upgraded to a 2017 TRD 4x4. Very, very pleased. Did 2 inch lift + 275 BFG K02s, mileage decreased by about 1.5 mpg (~ 19 freeway now). I'm fine with the power, but I also don't tow much. The best part is that the truck can squeeze into many of the ATV trails I encounter...

I just don't get this. 89K WTF? I've got 235k on a '02 Dakota(yes not full size) quad cab with the 4.7. Orig. trans. I do frequent changes of all fluids and to be honest, I did have to do injector and coil pack replacements as well as an AC clutch replacement, but that is it really, oh and I did replace all the suspension and shocks. Haha, maybe not so reliable ;-) I kid. Did you keep up on maint.? That is some BS mileage. A truck should easily last ten years. Maybe go older and spend money on upgrades. Need to be mechanical though which is not what Randy suggests. lol.

Im with Dan.kirkpatrick, Ive been a mechanic since 2004, this seems a little suspect. You said you took it in for a tune up, was it running poorly when you took it in? Did they charge you to pull the cylinder head off? They wouldnt do that for free or for the initial diagnostic fee. Usually a cylinder leak down test is cause for additional diag. fee as well, as you need to pull a few things apart. A second opinion would be invaluable at this point. Oh and what is a misshaped cylinder?
"tune-up" LOL What is there to "tune-up" on a post OBD2 truck? Plugs. What a scam that term is. My '62 Single cab truck needs a tune up every 3k(valves, points, carb, etc.) NOTHING even remotely new needs a "tune-up". Just so non-mechanics here understand.

My story is a little different but somewhat along the same lines?
In 1980 I bought a used ‘79 f150 for $6,999. I did a trade in with a’75 International Scout which I bought for $6,000 and paid for in 5 years. I was left with a $3,000 balance on the truck which was used for fishing along Hawaii’s shorelines. In 1995 the rust was to the point where it was either fix it or get rid of the truck. I elected to have it stripped down and body worked and painted for $5,000 by someone working out of their garage. I was always working away from home then so the truck remained in good shape. In 2017 I finally decided to sell the truck to a guy that wanted to restore it....for $6,000 which was a great deal for a classic. Other than the cost of regular maintenance and normal repairs, I think that I made my money go far. I always envied the young guys driving new trucks but I figured it’s cheaper to repair them than buy a new one. Pay off your mortgage then get a new truck.

I just don't get this. 89K WTF? I've got 235k on a '02 Dakota(yes not full size) quad cab with the 4.7. Orig. trans. I do frequent changes of all fluids and to be honest, I did have to do injector and coil pack replacements as well as an AC clutch replacement, but that is it really, oh and I did replace all the suspension and shocks. Haha, maybe not so reliable ;-) I kid. Did you keep up on maint.? That is some BS mileage. A truck should easily last ten years. Maybe go older and spend money on upgrades. Need to be mechanical though which is not what Randy suggests. lol.
Religious on maintenance, oil, all filters etc. Was about to have all plugs done, flush all fluids etc since I was coming up on 100k. Really wanted another 100k out of that truck. Not a mechanic, so the thought of sinking cash to keep it going didn't sit well. I also hunt alone a lot of the time in places where cell service is non-existent, so reliability was another factor. Hoping this new Toyota and I can be friends for a good long while...

Religious on maintenance, oil, all filters etc. Was about to have all plugs done, flush all fluids etc since I was coming up on 100k. Really wanted another 100k out of that truck. Not a mechanic, so the thought of sinking cash to keep it going didn't sit well. I also hunt alone a lot of the time in places where cell service is non-existent, so reliability was another factor. Hoping this new Toyota and I can be friends for a good long while...
On Ford F- series, the plugs do not need replaced unless defective now or once at 100K. It does need regular oil and fluid changes along with the filters. That's about it for owner level maintenance on those critters.

Ford advises to change the plugs at 100,000 miles on an F-150, Explorer and other models under “normal” driving conditions. The only reason to replace plugs more often than recommended is if the engine is hard to start, idles roughly, hesitates, misfires, uses more fuel than usual or if the check engine light comes on.

Very little owner level maintenance on Ford engines other than the fluid, filters, and cleaning.

Took my 2013 F-150 to the dealer for a tune up and they come back with the bad news....#8 cylinder is dead. 20% Compression. Never missed a service on it. It's the 5.0 Coyote V8 with only 89,000 miles. Dealer basically said "sorry bro". They quoted $8K for a new crate engine that won't even be here until April.

What would you do? Replace the engine or trade it in and start over? Blue book looks like it was $14k. Hard to justify putting a new engine in it for over half the value. Eyeballing new Tacos but the price of new trucks just keeps going up and I know I will miss having a paid off vehicle...
Hello-I too have an F-150, a 2015 flexfuel 6 cylinder and knock wood no issues. My suggestion is based on two things. 1 how much you like your truck and 2 if you have the cash for a new one. I am a financial geek and would say if you love it, then get the new engine. My pal biscuit put a new engine in his Ram at 90k miles and now has over 160k on it. I always lean towards a more fiscally responsible option. Hope that helps

Any word on what the new tundras are going to be? They’re supposed to be totally revamped for 2022 right?

P.m. sent your way

Honestly the new Tacos are underwhelming. Get a full sized rig with more HP and likely better mpgs
I agree completely. I was looking to buy a Tacoma, drove one, and wasn't impressed. Not much power, minimal towing capacity, and really poor mpg for a truck that size. I drove all the midsize and 1/2 ton full size trucks on the market. I ended up buying a Ram 1500 4x4. Very comfortable, tons of interior room, much more up to date interior, same mpg as the Tacoma, and I can haul 12K when needed. I traded a 2014 F150 supercrew 4x4 for it. But having a payment again does suck. My tranny was starting to slip on the F 150 and I didn't want to dump more money into it.

I've got you beat but not by much.
Here's the mileage on the '97 Dodge 4x4 I gave my son last year. Engine, trans and transfer case are all 100% original.

View attachment 174723
Yeah, but you cheated! You have another 13 years of driving on it! I pretty much parked mine 2 years ago when I picked up a car for my work commute, leaving the truck for BAD weather or hauling my ATV trailer.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back