Need some Archery Info

DRAFTSTUD

I know that there are alot of quality Archers on this site and I need to pick your Brains. I have a son and a cousin who are crazy about Bow Hunting. I am crazy about hunting with my Mules and the Mountains, elk, ect.
I had an accident a few years ago that has left my Left arm weaker than my right. I have tried to shoot my son's bow set at 60 - 65#, no go right now although I could break it over.
What types of bows, let offs and other stuff should I be looking into? Is 50# enough poundage for Elk? John

I'm no expert on all the new equipment, but I'm lucky to pull 55lbs with my 16 year old bow, which flings arrows at astonishing 230 ft/sec. I had a clean pass through on my bull last year at 39 yards. The new equipment will definitely make your life easier, but I wouldn't stress about how much weight you're pulling or the speed of the bow. Any of the new bows will do fine in that department.

Agreed with Mdunc, a new 50# bow should be fine for elk, so long as your not looking to make 50 yard shots. Pretty much any new bow is gonna have 80% let off, which most states don't allow you to hunt with more than 80% let off.

Alot of elk are killed with #50 bows every year, with the right arrow and broadheads it should be no problem. If you shoot alot (which you should for proficiency) you will work your way up in draw poundage pretty quick. I would recommend a 50-60 pound bow and start off at lower poundage then bumb it up a half turn evry week or so.

Look at some of the Mission bows, 30-70lb weight adjustment, 80% let-off, $300. The new bows are sweet, you can also look for used on Archerytalk.

I would agree wit everybody else, that a 50# bow is plenty as long as you get the right shot and become proficient with your bow.

Same kind of thing happened to Dwight Schuh (former editor of Bowhunter magazine).
I believe he routinely uses a bow setup in that 50-55# range on elk.

The year he had his shoulder surgery he drew the bow with his teeth, utilizing a specialized mouth piece.

I broke my Arm right where it comes out of the socket. They said the last thing I said was "Hey ya'll watch this!" Dang it. Keep it coming, good info. John

Draft:

Another option is a "CROSSBOW". They are legal in Wyoming during archery season and possibly other states. My cousin has a shoulder injury and has applied for the use of a crossbow in the states of Arizona, New Mexico & Iowa and he has been granted the use of a crossbow. Most states just need a MD's letter stating your injury. Just another option.

good luck to all
the dog

That weight would be plenty with a cut on contact broadhead. But you'd be surprised how much stronger you will get as you shoot. 65-70 lbs really may not be an issue after 6 months of consistent shooting.

50# is OK, not great but OK. What you might consider doing is spending some time at a good shop and draw bows with different cam profiles. I would guess the older style force draw curves will make it easier for you to draw. The peak weight being a little further back where you have more shoulder into it.

Draft:

Another option is a "CROSSBOW". They are legal in Wyoming during archery season and possibly other states. My cousin has a shoulder injury and has applied for the use of a crossbow in the states of Arizona, New Mexico & Iowa and he has been granted the use of a crossbow. Most states just need a MD's letter stating your injury. Just another option.

good luck to all
the dog

Yes, I have a nice Crossbow I use here and in Arkansas. Thanks! John

Look at some of the Mission bows, 30-70lb weight adjustment, 80% let-off, $300. The new bows are sweet, you can also look for used on Archerytalk.

I have a mission maniac that has the same weight adjustments as well as draw adjustments. When I first started shooting I could only shoot at 50 lbs, im now shooting at 70 lbs. Either way you would be fine with a 50 lbs bow, although it is nice to have a large weight adjustment range

I agree with everyone that 50# is just fine. The only thing I haven't see mentioned is arrow weight I would go with a 400-450gr arrow if it was me. Just don't hit the shoulder (practice, practice, practice) and you will be fine. Good luck John!

Never hunted elk myself but I have shot a 50# bow for years on whitetail without a problem.I even shoot a over the top mechanical and have not had anyproblem with penetraiton even at 40+ yards and an IBO weight arrow.

Draft:

good luck to all
the dog

This is probably not a bad option and my wife's uncle has considered it as well. Montana allows I believe, but there's a process to it. Crossbows now are crazy (although I don't use one) and some have incorporated their draw mechanisms in air canisters (no kidding push button draw) or other easy to use means. I would take a look at this if you can get the Doc to sign off on how bad your shoulder is. The draw back is wieght. They way a lot, but hunting with horses, mules or whatever should help with that.

Taking into consideration with todays modern compounds you can expect aprox 235 fps at 28" draw with a 425grn arrow at 50# that would net you near 55# of KE ! I would take Elkmagnts advice & stay with an aprox 425grn+ arrow.

When you compare the KE & Speed of a 50# bow to trad gear you will see you are more than equipped to handle any elk to 40yds no problem. I've taken several nice bulls with a longbow at 55# with 450-500grn arrows with 3-bladed COC heads at 180fps, this KE equates to 34-35# -- Shot placement is always important no matter if it's 50# or 70#

Here are 3 bulls we took with trad gear with not more than 35# of KE & arrows from 450-500grn

ElkNut1

Attachments

• 10 Three Bulls.jpg
    10 Three Bulls.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 345
Back