Need some advise for a first time elk hunt

For the last few years I have been bit by the elk hunting bug in the worst way. I have been trying to apply in as many states as I can afford and trying to read and learn every day. I am really thinking I need to just get out and try an elk hunt before I get lucky and draw a limited tag. My question is for a first timer would you guys reccomend trying a Montana combo tag or a Colorado OTC tag? I really am just looking for a place to go try and learn and not much else. I don't have all the fancy equipment so at best I would backpack in and use just a tent so areas where grizzlies roam worry me a little since I don't have experience with camping around bears. However, I guess a guy has to learn how to deal with them eventually.

Thanks for any help, I have lurked on the forum for a long time and it seems like there are a lot of great people!

I've never hunted CO, so I can't offer any insight there. I've hunted MT a lot. I agree with Randy in that I think MT has better archery hunting than rifle hunting, but the rifle hunting is still good.

There are plenty of places you can go in MT that don't have long toed bears. The only way you REALLY learn about elk hunting is by doing it. Plus, it's more fun to learn that way. You don't need to backpack hunt, and honestly to start I don't know that I would. I like to stay mobile sometimes when I'm elk hunting. W

When you backpack in, you are kind of limiting yourself, so it's important to have a pretty good idea that there will be elk in the vicinity of where you're going.

It's easy to over think elk hunting.

I'd like to give Montana a shot some day, lots of great reviews from people on here about the archery hunting. I'm still trying to figure out the elk hunting thing myself. Only 1 bull under my belt.

It doesn't get any easier than ID as far as acquiring tags. They actually went on sale today for the quota'd units. Literally just hop online and buy it. There are still plenty of elk here, but our group works very hard for the general season bulls. Next year put in for a cow tag, there is a handful of gimme units that are 80% or better as far as draw odds and the success rates are pretty high.

Best thing about Idaho = no point system.

PS, NO GRIZZLY BEARS IN 90% OF THE STATE!

I don't think you could go wrong with either MT or CO. Both have great hunting. CO obviously has the numbers but with that also comes other issues to deal with. Don't overlook WY or ID. Both have great opportunities for tags that can be had just about every year. If you really want to learn how to hunt elk then pick an area that has good populations and a tag that can be had easily and hunt that area each year. Knowing an area is the most important part. This is why locals and outfitters do so well. They hunt the same spots over and over. They know what the elk do and where they go. Learning an area is the best part of elk hunting. When you can make a plan and have that come together is when it is fun. The LQ areas are fine but in many cases they can be over-rated. If you are only happy with a 400" bull and are not going to be pleased with anything less then I would say you have lived in Utah too long. JK.

I agree with the recommendation to not start with a back pack hunt. Stay mobile until you know an area. Fantastic hunting can be found within a mile of most roads if you spend the time to figure the area out. It just gets better from there. Good luck and hope you have some pics to post soon.

No better way than to learn by trying. Where do you live now and how far is elk hunting? Not to mention practicing now will help you get many kinks out of your system be it backpacking, truck camping or whatever. You'll get a better sense of your gear needs/want and be able to operate more efficiently.

Just last year we did our first wall tent elk camp (had a cabin/house before). We used a "scouting" trip in August to help streamline our effort and logistics. You can plan as much as you want but actual practice really helps you level that learning curve.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I live in South Dakota so I have a little experience with DIY mule deer and Antelope. I have applied in Wy, Az,Sd, and Utah but really want to just get out there and try it. I defiantly do not have any expectations of big bulls by any means. I just would like the chance to try it out and start getting practice on understanding elk and how to hunt them. Plus getting to see some beautiful country! Going on an elk hunt has been a "plan" for many years but I am getting the feeling I just need to bite the bullet and go.

I don't know how many points you have but if you are like me it's way too late to build too many points. Our plan is to build some points and then draw a decent unit. In the mean time we want to hunt cows to learn units, test gear, and become better elk hunters. Then we will burn our points and be confident doing so. For example we want to hunt cow elk in the big horns this fall. We want to learn the area, and see if we can find a spot to burn our 3pts next year. I hope this makes sense. We can only afford 1 trip a year so we might as well try to be there during hunting season, hunting something while scouting for our future bull hunt. Thanks Robin

Colorado will give you everything you will ever want for elk hunting. You pick the season, you pick the method you study the previous draw results and CO will do you just fine. Gain priority points by applying for a unit you have a slight chance to draw and if you don't, you get the point. Your second choice is the one you are really setting your sights on getting; just make sure there are tags left over after the first draw that you can draw as your second choice for sure. The big game brochure highlights under subscribed units where tags are still available after all four drawings! Then there are leftover tags. And finally you've got numerous areas where archery or 2nd, 3rd and 4th rifle are OTC. The units you can draw will determine where you can go. It is hard to find a unit in CO that does not have a good supply of elk. Finally:Want to save $$$ on a tag? Apply for a cow elk tag, half the price and great eating.
Drive up the Forest Service road, pitch camp anywhere you pretty much choose and put some ground pounding miles on those feet scouting and learning the lay of the land. Don't like what you see? Break camp, move and do it all over again. And again, if need be...
Good hunting!

Knowing an area is the most important part. This is why locals and outfitters do so well.

^ This ^

And don't worry about fancy gear. You'll find locals knocking down more elk with coleman tents and cotton tee's than anything else.

Good luck, follow up with where you decide to go, etc.

Okay I am trying to research units, area, and seasons. Last night I tried to go through the reg book for Montana. What I found was that if I wanted to go on a general hunt I have to go to the western third of the state. The center of that third looks like it is mostly limited entry so that narrows it down to the top of the third and the bottom of the third. This also puts me into grizzly country. So my question to you guys is how much do the grizzly bother a guy during rifle season. I am assuming you have snow then and I know they hibernate just not sure when this all takes place.

Thanks again for putting up with all the questions

If you are in grizzly country then you should assume you will find grizzlies all season long. How much they bother you is up to you. Some guys deal with them very well, others worry about them all day. For the most part they eat very few hunters a year.:D

See if there are left-over tags for northwestern Colorado. I have quit hunting there, but I am sure the herd is the same and they keep providing plenty of cow tags. The bulls are not worth the money anyway. Look on the map north from Hayden to California Park. Whatever the unit numbers are for that hunt, in my opinion, is as good as it gets for first-time hunts as long as you are willing to work for it. I always hiked 2-3 miles before light and always killed my cow and everyone that went with me did also. If you decide to go, I will give you exact gps coordinates from several kills. Most people in that area hunt with horses, as it is a no-joke packout, but man we had a lot of fun there.

I wouldn't wouldn't worry about grizzlies that much they will come in to bugeling ounce in a while, but if you pack bear spray just hit them with that and they will leave you alone

Farmer had great advice....read it a couple more times. For your first elk hunt get a buddy or two and head to northwest Colorado....no better place to get your feet wet. Over the counter tags and lots of public land with the biggest elk herd in the west. Units 13,14,24,25 and surrounding areas will give you all you want in a true western hunt full of potential but be prepaired to get a mile or more off the road or you will probably be disappointed .DS

What mulecreek said about elk hunting is absolutely the truth, time and dedication to one area pays big dividends.

Get a cow tag in a limited entry unit. Draw odds are way better, and you learn the unit before trying with your preference points.

My buddy and I did MT general season for our first elk hunt in 2010, and went back in 2011. Shot a bull in 10, cow in '11, on our own. I picked an area using Jack Ballards book as a guide, since I've never hunted elk before, and needed a started point. Suggest you read books like this, it will help you kill elk.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back