Need Some 3rd Party Input

GoGriz

I happen to live in California, which is a conscience choice I make for my family and to be around family - it is what it is. My son’s Teacher (my son is 6 in Kindergarten) pulled my wife aside at drop off today and showed her the note my Son wrote to Santa, where he asked for a gun, a bow and a knife so he could “go hunting with Dad”. For the record, he has a knife and a .22 in the safe that we are starting to take out and look at as we discuss safety and how they should be used/ handled. The Teacher explained to my wife that my Son had been telling other kids at school about how we catch animals and that you have to cut them open to get the meat. The Teacher proceeded to tell my wife that this is not acceptable and that my son is not allowed to talk about these items at school and they are not appropriate. She referenced the recent school shootings as part of the reason.

I am torn as I understand that there are people who use guns in school to bring great harm and pain. My initial thoughts are that my Son is being raised to understand that guns and knives are tools that need to be respected and that are only to be handled with an adult around and that he knows where food comes from. I think with a positive understanding sharing these things with the sheltered kids and maybe their parents could actually be beneficial for all.

Other than this being my fault for living in this State, am I overreacting here and should I keep this more “hidden” and tel my kids not to talk about this part of our life, or is this a bad sign for those of us that like to hunt and shoot as a whole new generation isn’t raised talking about and know about these things - one day these kids will vote.

6897FB8F-9190-4EA5-8F7C-9B7537C44306.jpeg6897FB8F-9190-4EA5-8F7C-9B7537C44306.jpeg

I feel for you being in CA. Looks like you’ve got a good kid who wants to enjoy shooting and the outdoors. It’s up to you to support that and to teach him. It sounds like that’s exactly what you’re doing. Good on you dad. I think I’d ask to meet with the teacher and the administrators of the school if I were you. Just to explain to them that you’re a hunter and why your child has mentioned these topics. Not that you’ll change any minds but hopefully they’ll have a better understanding. I can see the teacher or someone else at the school blowing this out of proportion and either causing you and your wife some problems, like getting a visit from law enforcement or ostracizing your child and constantly eyeing him with suspicion. Or even ridiculing him I’m front of his classmates. The later could cause him to lose his desire for the outdoors. I’d go to the school if it were me and try to get ahead of this. Again, I feel for you. Let us know how it goes.

I’m gonna stay away from the letter to Santa for a few reasons. If your son’s teacher has problems with your kid talking about butchering an animal for food, that’s the teachers personal issue and I wouldn’t worry about it at all. It’s not even worth your time discussing it with the teacher. Animals die so we can eat. It’s just the way it is. Apparently your kid has a better understanding and appreciation of that than his teacher does.

Wow, quiet the topic and a very interesting situation.

My first but brief reaction was just like ND coyote, #*^@#* that teacher. However, as I dive deeper into my thoughts and how I feel about this I find myself torn.

You sound like you are doing things right with your kid and I certainly wouldn't be too worried about your son. If you are introducing him to those three items correctly and properly engaging him, great.

What I do think is necessary is for an early lesson about public image and society. All of us hunters unfortunately have this struggle with how society views what we do and you can use this a valuable first lesson to your son about it. It's a complicated subject for a 6 year old but if he is mature enough to understand those items and how to properly handle them, I'm positive he can learn from this. There are ways he can still still engage with his classmates about those items in a positive way and maybe you can get him there.

From the perspective of a school administrator, this is complete bullshit. But I wouldn't expect anything different in California and likely the administrator is just as ridiculous, rude and clueless as the teacher.

Sorry. That really sucks.

I'd say things like, "do you know that chickens and cows are killed and cut open to eat as well?" And, "without guns we'd still be under British rule." It wouldn't help. Facts are not tolerated in California.

Don’t get focused on the teacher. Go in and have an adult conversation with her and the principal and ask them if school policies were violated. If they were, find out how to work within the confines of district policy. If the policies are intolerable, move to a different district.

Most of the above.

My only thought is to make your hunting time a special family activity and explain to your son that it's so special he doesn't need to share it with others.

Nick's right, but you need to have a civil conversation with his teacher and administrator. It's who you are and what you do. That's not going to change.

I had it out with a professor over the Vietnam war. It didn't go well for me grade time, so be careful with your words.

Thanks for all the replies - I’m still mulling it over and I think I will be incorporating a lot of the items in these responses both into how I address the Teacher/ School as well as how I frame this conversation with my Son (and Daughter). Thanks for letting me bounce this off all of you!

Don’t get focused on the teacher. Go in and have an adult conversation with her and the principal and ask them if school policies were violated. If they were, find out how to work within the confines of district policy. If the policies are intolerable, move to a different district.
I'd agree with this and add that they may have never met a hunter before. If you approach it calmly and rationally you could potentially change some minds.

I can’t help with advice. I’ve always lived it places where hunting was part of the culture. I’m glad to live in MT where my son’s fall break purposely coincides with youth deer season.

And I would be proud of my boy if he wrote a letter like that. You should be too.
My daughter killed a bull elk when she was 11. We took it to her school and the entire class had their picture taken with it. Superintendent was in the photo as well. Lots of teachers and administrators around here hunt.

I had two very similar situations with both of my children when they were 6-8 years old.
The first one occurred when we were stationed at Fort Lewis in the Communist state of Washington. My son was in first grade and when the kids were asked one Friday what they were doing for the weekend he was excited to tell how he hoped to help me with a deer if I was successful hunting. His BEEEE$%H of a Vegan teacher proceeded to admonish him in front of the class about how hunting was cruel and people the killed animals should be ashamed. He came home in tears. While this was a public school it was located ON POST. I went to Mass with our Military School Liaison so she and I had a talk after on Sunday. I explained to her that I was going into the school at opening on Monday and what the content of my discussion was going to be. She said she would prepare the command and I would have their support.
I went into the Principal, gave her a small explanation and demanded the teacher be brought in before class. She started to hem haw before I explained the command was already aware of what had happened to my child. When the teacher came in and saw my demeanor she started to get smart....my NCO voice took over a bit and I tore them both a new one about making my child cry, the reality of being on a military base and getting extra FEDERAL FUNDING at the pleasure of the DoD and that neither of their political or social beliefs would EVER be discussed with my child again. The command called after I left and insisted that the teacher apologize in front of the class to my son. I went to pick him up in person the next two weeks and stared holes through her every chance I got. Disagree with me all you want but I will NOT tolerate you making my child cry.
The second instance happened right after the HP had taken her first animal, a pig on our Texas trip. She was incredibly excited to not only have taken the animal but for being able to provide our family with food (she insisted our first meal upon return would be a smoked ham). She went to school at the conclusion of Christmas break and took pictures with her to show her friends in the "what we did over break" part of class (she was 8). Unbeknownst to me was that the pics not only were of her with the pig and the rifle she used ....but the ones she took of us butchering (which she insisted on helping with) as well. I got a call from the principal who asked to see me in the afternoon. I thought it was going to be an anti-gun or hunting bit again, but it was just a "the other 8 year old girls freaked out at the butchering pics" discussion. I apologized for my ignorance of what she had brought in and ensured no more graphic pics made their way into school. CO vs WA.

These two were very different and I won't presume to know what the solution is for your family. I think we can all agree that living in CA put you in a trick bag I do not envy when it comes to ANYTHING remotely involving guns and largely those things hunting related. Only you can do the cost benefit analysis of proximity to family vs all of the negatives of being in that state/subculture. Perhaps more alarming is the statement that discussing how and where food comes from is inappropriate. I hope you can find a solution that is best for your family.

Might be a teachable moment. We all have to navigate society, there are some things that you do that are legal and ethical but that some people just don’t understand and the circumstances don’t allow for a nuanced conversation.

Sometimes in life you just have to shut your mouth, smile, and move on. I imagine that’s a difficult lesson to teach your kid, but at the same time a very important one.

I would play offense on this cuz the best you are going to do is break even.
When the teacher equates you teaching your son to hunt, to a school
shooting you are already behind.

Sounds like a teacher problem. The teacher asked a question, didn't like the truthful answer and got mad. Total BS. Doesn't really teach individualism either.

As a father with a five year old daughter that regularly talks about these things as well I think you should stand up for your child and talk to the teacher and school. Obviously do it in a professional manner but should not be dropped. If it is not going against any rules then you owe it to your child to stand up for them and fight for them. To often these days people let others, including the government walk all over them because they don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings. The only thing that happens then is our rights are slowly stripped away. If they have a rule about guns only then you can have a conversation with your child about those specifics but would you rather look back on it and know you stood up for what is right or just drop it because you didn’t want to ruffle some feathers.

There is zero value in discussing this with his teacher if the Prinicpal isn't there as well, and even that is only if you already think you understand the rules sufficiently that the admin will, maybe not be on your side, but at least understand your side.

Back