Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Need new Binos

mrklean

I am going to be making my first elk hunting trip this fall all of the binos i have are cheaper ones i have used for deer hunting in the midwest which have worked fine but i know i will need a better pair for going out west. I cant spend a massive amount of money have a good bank of Cabelas $$$ built up so thats where i will need to get them would like to keep it under $400 any recommendations?

Vortex talons 10x42's might be a little more than $400 but you outta check them out!

I upgraded to theron questa this past fall, I think they're about in your range. If you need to spend cabelas bucks try leupold cascades they're what I had before. There may be a model slightly better.

Binos

Save up and find and almost new pair of Swaros or Leicas on Craigslist or classified section of hunting websites. You won't regret it! I bought an almost new pair of Leicas around 15 years ago and they still work like new! You will only likely need 1 pair in your lifetime! I use and abuse mine almost year round and it's nice having quality glass to look through for hours upon hours at a time that are always dependable and easy on the eyes!

Look in the optics forum, this has been discussed a few times lately. Good info in those posts.

I've been very happy with my Leupold Mojaves. I like the 50s, but the 42s are great, too. I looked through every midrange+ glass I could find for a week and they were head and shoulders above others in the $400 weight class.

I plan to graduate to Swarovski and/or Leica, too, and the guys are right, they are in a whole other league, and worth every penny. But, if you've got 400 to spend now, then the leupolds are well worth it (I've heard similar things about the new Vortex, too, but they weren't around when I was shopping a few years ago). I just consider the 400 bucks an installment plan - and I can give them to my son when I upgrade :) If you're elk hunting for the first time, there are a lot of other places and things to park a couple grand in now. If you come to love it like so many, then glass upgrades can come down the road.

I guess I don't agree with the recommendations on the Swarovski optics and some of the other really high end binoculars. Frankly, when you spend that kind of money for glasses, do you want to worry about someone breaking into your rig solely to steal them? Are they really that much more superior to other quality brands that makes the extra cost worth it?
I sure like my Steiner military marine 8 x 40's. They are lightweight, rubber armored, not huge, but gather loads of light. They work well here in Colorado's thin ozone and long distances. The individual diapoter adjustments stay put too.
That said here's some advice no matter what brand you end up with. Go for a lifetime warranty. My Steiner's were bought back in 1980, and finally pooped out last year. I sent them to the repair facility, and I highly suspect they may have given me a new pair, rather than just fixing mine up. They appear as new. The cost? ZERO. That made me a fan!

Really comes down to how much you use them.

Go on a hunt where you use your glasses a ton, as in 7-8 hours a day...you will find out real fast that spending the money for high end glass is worth every cent.

Vortex caught my eye lots of positive reviews on cableas and wide price range the diamondbacks and talons look good.

I love my Vortex Diamondbacks. Quality glass that still allows you have money to actually hunt. I use mine on my South Dakota deer hunts where we spend usually 4-5 hours in the morning staring through glass and I don't get any eye fatigue.

One company I want to check out are the new kids on the block, Maven Optics. Made in the US (from what I understand) and they are able to offer top-end glass for half the price because they cut out the middle man

I've spend the last 7 years running Nikon Monarchs and I always had believed there was a point of diminishing return even after borrowing my dad's Swarovski's from time to time, then I went mule deer hunting glassing for hours at a time and immediately decided my next purchase was throwing a ton of money at binos before next year.

Nikon MONARCH 5 10x42 Binoculars
Cabelas $330

+1 from me. I did the same thing. Had a trip out west and needed/wanted a better pair without breaking the bank. These are nice! I believe that if you only need them once in a while, and don't depend on good glass year after year, they will suit you just fine. Making a regular habit of it, maybe an upgrade would be better. Hit the nearest Cabela's store and try some out firsthand.

I agree with the above recommendations about buying a better pair of used glass.

If they have to come from Cabelas, the Zeiss Terra looks pretty good in that price range. The Mojaves are pretty decent too.

I love my Vortex Diamondbacks. Quality glass that still allows you have money to actually hunt. I use mine on my South Dakota deer hunts where we spend usually 4-5 hours in the morning staring through glass and I don't get any eye fatigue.

One company I want to check out are the new kids on the block, Maven Optics. Made in the US (from what I understand) and they are able to offer top-end glass for half the price because they cut out the middle man

I use Maven Binoculars. They are phenomenal. They are still a step below Swarovski and Leica but they blow Vortex away.

I also picked up a pair of leupold mojaves, I got the 8x42s. I was comparing them side by side with my 10x42 leupold acadias and I could see a lot more detail even with the lower magnification

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back