Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need Friend Advise?

As one poster suggested, make them take hunters safety first. Then if the person still wants to go take them on a scouting/day hunt to see if the person can take it. I get asked all the time to take people hunting or ice fishing. I usually use the ice fishing as my first test run. If the person can keep up and not get discouraged when I put fish them by 5:1 then they might be up for hunting.

I have invited a number of people over the years, to tag along. Good times! Some, 1 and done.
Hunting is "kind of personal" don't ya think?
Had an acquaintance who called and stated "I need to know when to schedule time off work" I replied that I hunt solo or with few others. YOU HAVE NOT BEEN INVITED. To tag along. Make no apologies.
Hunting is "kind of personal" don't ya think?

It's hard to explain to someone until they've been there. I've had guys in much better shape than me crack, because they didn't have the "want to" to keep after it.

I try to do an easier hunt at first, deer or pronghorn. If they can't cut that they won't get far on an elk hunt.

If it were ever someone I simply didn't want to hunt with I'd just come up with a way to say no.

If they would make good camp-mates, I'd suggest do as @LuketheDog suggested.
Have them drive separately, share a few spots that would hold potential, meet their capabilities (edit added: if such exists, if questionable, share it's tough), and let them do their deal at their own pace.
They will either ask to return or find their abilities don't meet your hunt style and politely excuse themselves next year.

If there's a likelihood they can not keep their piehole shut about hunt locations, or they're not the type to enjoy camp together, not a chance in hell.

A simple, "Sorry, wish I could though our camp's full for the limited areas available to hunt."

Last edited:
I have a coworker that I get along with pretty good and he finished his hunter education last month and was trying to figure out hunting. I have shared a lot of info and told him I would take him out. We did two short day hunts close to town last weekend, an area that gets a lot of pressure from hunters and other recreation. Saw a couple deer and found some fresh elk sign. He made a comment that it seemed like the hiking we were doing was pretty hard and I had to laugh and say it would be the easiest possible day when compared to typical elk hunting around here. I will probably do some more deer hunting with him in the next couple weekends.

I am going to be hunting with my brother in MT next month and I know he won't be in shape. It will make things interesting. Already a tough time to hunt elk and I plan to split up if needed and he can sit and watch for deer. And I will be doing most of the packing out.

Honesty is the best policy. Perhaps encourage him to do a solo elk hunt next year and see what he thinks following that.
The problem with taking him on a tough “practice run” that only lasts one day - that doesn’t touch the mental/physical grind of a 10 day elk hunt with bad weather/cold tent, tired legs and beat up mind.
If he can go solo for 10 days and he wants to go again, maybe you take him the next year. And explain that all to him - tell him that the wonderful thoughts you have about elk hunting while sitting in your temperature controlled living room vaporize very quickly in a light rain on day 6 in the mountains.

I think there is a lot of good advice above. I wouldn't lie, whatever you tell them, it just makes a complicated situation more complicated and I hate complications. I personally would advise them the steps and gear necessary to get started & go from there without making any firm commitments.

Burned too many times over the years by people like this Tim. You will see those guys in your hunting spots with their friends the year after you take them. Four approaches work for me, in this order:

1. I prefer hunting by myself (absolutely true)
2. I have a wife and two kids that hunt and they are my priority (absolutely true)
3. I can't share spots because they are a buddy's or a private land owner only allows me to hunt (both true)
4. Finally, I tell them "I can teach you how to draw tags, e-scout, break down animals for packing, remove capes/horns, etc., etc., etc. and even give you some locations to start hunting. In other words, I can get you set up to succeed, but you will still have to work VERY hard and learn from your mistakes". Only two people in 20+ years have taken me up on this offer. I hunt with them occasionally today because they didn't want a handout, just a hand in getting started. Everyone else wants a "free" guided hunt, with me being the guide and them putting no "skin" in the game.

Lots of great points made in this thread. Personally, I think the honest approach works best and is less likely to cause problems in your friendships down the road. I'd also add that it's easier from the other side as well. Have you ever not asked one of your friends for a favor because you were afraid he'd say "yes" even if he didn't want to do it? Having a friend that I know will give me an honest answer makes it easier to reach out with questions.

But this topic is a bit of a conundrum, right? The way most serious elk hunters hunt, it's very difficult to bring along a novice hunter without jeopardizing your own chances at getting an elk. Elk season only lasts so long and our time off from work is limited, so few of us can afford to "throw away" our opportunities.

Having said that, every single hunting magazine I've ever read has articles and editorials stressing the importance of creating new generations of hunters. Most hunters I know agree with that idea, in theory. We know that the world would probably be a little better if more urbanites and suburbanites (and their kids) were hunting and eating wild game that they harvested. At the very least, some positive hunting experiences might change their perspectives about hunters and gun owners. But when guys who are already my FRIENDS inquire about hunting, my mind immediately goes to how can I tell them "no" in a gentle way? And maybe the answer has to be "no" when it comes to back-country elk hunting (for now). But maybe there's a way to get to "yes" when it comes to deer or antelope, especially if they have taken a hunter safety course and I am confident they can safely carry a rifle in the field. If you are an experienced hunter, and you have a friend that has expressed an interest in hunting, I'd encourage you to try to figure out a way to make it happen instead of immediately going to "no." The only person I have introduced to hunting is my son, but I can tell you that I was more thrilled with the two deer he has shot than any deer I have taken. There is some real fulfillment in helping a novice experience success in an activity you love doing.

Last edited:
My hunting partners have been vetted through spending a day with 'em on the 3D range, or doing a trail race with them. You would be amazed at how a little adversity or a misjudged shot tells you about how someone is to spend time with on a hunt.

I particularly like the idea about scouting a new area together. Broadens your horizons and gives you an idea of how hard they want to work....

Maybe tell them "Sure. You pick a spot and you do all the necessary research." Yea you'll need to guide them along the way but see how well they can sniff out their own spot to go and learn all the crap that they need to learn. That could turn into a fairly big time suck for you though at times so I guess think about that one... haha.

Honestly, I would tell them that you’ll give them support (advice,
map work, etc) to get it done on their own. But that doing it solo will help prove they are worth hunting with and help them understand whether they really like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back