Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Necessary gear for first western hunt.

Good on ya for getting boots now! That will make a big difference. I'd get good bino's and for your first trip I'd get a tripod instead of a spotter. I personally don't think you need either but a tripod is nice to stabilize everything and allows you to glass longer with less fatigue. I wouldn't buy a ton of stuff for your first trip. You'll figure out what you need and what to upgrade on your first trip. Be prepared for all sorts of weather as well. It could be 60 and sunny or 0 and blowing snow. OnX is also a nice thing to invest in to be able to track where you are and being able to mark things. Other than that, plan on having fun!

Don't forget good wool socks with your boot purchase. You don't want cotton tube socks on your feet. Good socks are expensive but well worth the money. Carry an extra pair with you and change them often. Also, moleskin for the hot spots. Put it on at the first sign of discomfort. Don't wait until you have a blister. Ask me how I know.

What kind of sleeping gear do you have? Depending on your stove size you may not be able to rely on it heating the tent all night and 2nd season can get pretty damn cold.

I wouldn’t get in a big hurry to buy anything other than boots right now as there should be a couple of sale events during the summer. I buy stuff as I find it on sale or clearance so nothing I have matches but it’s all quality gear.

You seem to be on the right track. Boots, pack and sleep system is what can make the difference between a fun time or a week of misery.

Nothing worse than swampass! We are getting new boots this weekend so we have time to get them broke in. My daughter is 19…she hunts more than I do for deer and has some gear, but she’s probably going to buy more than I will, with her own money I should add. Her camo has to match…down to the base layers and socks.🙄! I’ll probably be following her around if I’m honest. I have to get her a pack. The one I have is to large for her to fit well. She’s 5’ 10 and about 115 pounds. I’m 6’ and 210 and it’s a little loose on me but I plan to make some modifications to it. I did haul out a couple whitetail with just to try it out. It’ll work!
If it makes her comfortable and happy thats all that matters, my wife does the same and it keeps her (and me) out there, which is worth every penny spent (she likes sitka so ouch). In terms of the pack - definitely make sure he gets a women's pack that fits her - Memorial day sales are a good opportunity (generally 20-30% offs), Mystery Ranch has some good women's fitted packs both their camping/hiking or the women's Metcalf (though pricy, even on sale).

I'll echo what others have said...good boots and good socks. Your feet are what's going to get you where you need to be, and most likely be the vehicle to get that big bull off the mountain.

I think the binos you already have would be fine. Could they be upgraded? Sure, and I certainly don't disagree that having the best optics you can afford is important. In my opinion, maybe the cost to upgrade optics could be applied to making sure you have a good layering system. Being warm and comfortable will allow you to be in the field longer. Base layer, mid/insulation layer, outer layer, rain gear, mittens, etc. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive stuff, as long as it keeps you warm and breathes well, it will be fine. As others have mentioned, staying warm and comfortable at night and getting good sleep is important as well, so maybe some upgrades to your sleep system would be good.

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great time and I hope you have a great hunt! I'll be out there looking for 'em during 2nd rifle as well!

For hiking, good boots, good socks, cheap trekking poles, serviceable packs. Practice plenty with the packs to ensure they are adjusted properly for heavy loads.

Get a tripod. Your binos should fit on the tripod with a bino adapter. If not, get a strap adapter. I still use my cheap Nikon binos for Midwest hunting. I’ve since upgraded for open country and low-light conditions, but the Nikons you can identify a legal bull well over a mile away.

I’d sink the most money in boots now. #1 concern for me is dry, comfortable, blister-free feet. Second is good enough lightweight clothes to stay warm and dry. Tie for third is vastly improved eyes by stabilizing your binos, and a method to haul an elk off the mountain if you get one, hence the packs and trekking poles.

It's been covered but my .02

Boots

Merino base layers including socks. Do not underestimate the utility in quality socks.

Rain Gear

The Nikon Bino will be fine. I'd by a tripod for them. You can upgrade glass later if you feel the need.

I would sink money into boots and base layers.

Frog Toggs ain't fancy but they will do for rainwear enough to get you back to shelter. You can upgrade later if you feel you need too.

If your daughter needs a functional pack that won't break the bank. Check out ALPS. Once again, she can upgrade later if she wants.

Good luck, have fun, post an update and pics.

On a serious note, gaiters can come in handy even if there is no snow or rain - they keep debris out of your boots. You will need meat sacks. I like TAG bags — either the boned out meat bags or the quarter bags. If you are going to bone out your meat and do a euro mount, you could probably get by without a saw but I would take one, if for no other reason than, “just in case.”

It wouldn’t hurt to have a pair of these to wear when you show up in camp. Even if you don’t get an elk, you would still look classy.

You might ask @wllm1313 where he got his. 😀

View attachment 221680
#1 thing you need to bring is the desire and the ability to get to elk where ever you see them. If gear contributes to that then you are gonna do fine.

I like 2 pairs of base layers to alternate each day. Let the off pair air out for a day.
Definitely have Camp shoes and non hunting pants to lounge in camp.
Consider gaiters or rainpants to keep the wet brush from getting your legs wet and running down into your goretex boots.
Practice taking jackets off and putting them on with your pack waistbelt still attached so you can strip down or bundle up without a major pack dump. You are gonna be doing this about every 15-30 minutes.
Your Rain Jacket should be your windbreaker.
Something around your neck like a Buff or Wild rag will add 10 degrees to your jacket warmth. Same goes for a Stocking cap.
If the wind is bothering you, cover your ears and it will be more tolerable.

IF your set up to hunt deer you'll be fine going elk hunting.

-Game bags
-Charger for your phone (if your running phone maps)
-Trekking poles (you'll thank me later after you pack an elk out)

Sounds like you got the rest.

If your Nikon binoculars are something from their Monarch line you should be in good shape for your first hunt. For the price those are very good binoculars.

Odds are that you will not need gaiters unless the snow is deep, and rain gear is often noisy. I have hunted elk and mule deer for many years and don't remember very many days where it rained enough to wear rain gear.

You don't really need a tripod to use your binoculars. It is nice to one have sometimes. For evaluating trophy quality at long distances with a spotting scope or for preseason scouting a good tripod is wonderful, but more often than not it is just another big clunky item to haul around when you are actually hunting. Good tripods are expensive, cheap ones are junk.

A couple pairs of good quality base layers are important, but nothing is more important than boots and socks. Most elk are taken with your legs and lungs, or simple luck.

Thanks for all the tips! I’ll definitely use them and spend my money accordingly. Boots, socks, clothing and comfort items to make the first trip enjoyable will be number one priority! Exercising and getting ready for a hiking vacation in the winter where we might bring home and elk will be second. I’ll use most of what I have, or borrow better equipment from friends and family, and upgrade as suggested as the years and future trips come along. I’m pretty sure this won’t be the last one.

Thanks for all the tips! I’ll definitely use them and spend my money accordingly. Boots, socks, clothing and comfort items to make the first trip enjoyable will be number one priority! Exercising and getting ready for a hiking vacation in the winter where we might bring home and elk will be second. I’ll use most of what I have, or borrow better equipment from friends and family, and upgrade as suggested as the years and future trips come along. I’m pretty sure this won’t be the last one.
And don't forget to scour the web for good used gear. You'd be amazed at what you can find out there for a fraction of retail cost. Whatever you buy used really only has to last as long as it takes to be able to upgrade it. Choose wisely and it might last a whole lot longer than that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back