Nebraska “slam” attempt

Called the governor’s emergency hotline last night to get him to list the white tailed deer as endangered in Nebraska.

In all seriousness I’m getting a little frustrated. I’ve been hunting WT’s my whole life and have a basic set of rules I use to hunt them this time of year. October 20-31 is my favorite, bucks are carving out territory and running around. I know most people like that November rut, but I’ve found it easier to catch a big buck cruising early on. Seen a single doe last night. Walking (tripping) my way out in the dark last night without a headlamp because I’m a man (idiot) and could hear a buck grunting and rubbing a tree. So they’re doing their thing, I’ve just been in the wrong place so far.

Finally a little excitement tonight. A few does were moving early and I grunted a small 4x4 in to 5 yards. I was trying to take pictures without spooking him but they sucked. He walked by camera about 20 minutes later though. At least I’m trending in the right direction. 3CCA6E83-A621-4A35-AD59-17179C743A11.jpeg

Man, you whitetail guys must have some skills us westies just don’t develop.

I can’t even spot the deer in you photo, much less figure out how to get a shot off.

That’s impressive.
There’s no deer. 🤣 I’m snuck into the middle of a timber so they won’t show back up to bed for probably another hour or so.

There’s a ton of philosophies on stand location and setup. I have friends that trim so many shooting lanes when they are done they look like an olive on a toothpick in the stand. Their thought is if they can see a deer they can shoot.

I hardly cut anything. I’ll trade shot opportunities for not being seen. Young bucks don’t care, they’re dumb, but a big buck will spot you in a tree fast if you aren’t somewhat brushed in. I’ll take the chance that I can rattle or grunt a big buck back in after he passes over him busting me and blowing out of the area.

My sister in law had some roosters harassing her hens. She asked if we would take them. I agreed under the rule that if they attack my hens that’s the end of them. She was mortified that I’d kill a chicken. They got dropped off yesterday and my hens were so scared of them this morning they were hiding. So…….7FFF93AC-63BC-45D0-B98E-B1FBBFF88534.jpeg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back