Caribou Gear

Nebraska “slam” attempt

He wasn’t near 800#. I heard guys throwing numbers at a bull that was shot last year that were crazy. They were saying 900-1000. They actually weighed him and he was 680. I think mine was a tick heavier than that, I base that off of how we backtrack cattle live weights after processed. Dressed is 63% of live weight, and “packaged meat” Is 65% of dressed. I ended up with a hair over 300# in the freezer so I guessed his live weight at 730-750. I could be completely wrong though. He had as thick of neck as I’ve seen on an elk up there and still had a lot of fat since it was so early in the season.
That’s still a heavy bull and I agree with your figuring on backtracking the weights. That’s the same process I used. The bull that weighed 865 from PA was brought out whole with a Belgian draft horse and hung on the certified scale in town.
750 pound live weight is a tank. He must have been eating good and will be good eatin.

I haven’t been too fired up to chase deer yet, temps in the 80’s for highs and ~60 for lows, a few cooler mornings but nothing good yet. Thursday is upper 70’s for highs and 34 for Friday morning.

People call it the October lull, but I have a theory bucks just break that summer/bachelor pattern and start staging closer to where they’ve rutted before and arent moving much. Kinda like a boy going through puberty, they just aren’t too sure what to do right now. The cameras have been pretty quiet, but I’m gonna slip into an old reliable spot. It heats up during the rut there, but there’s a chance I’ll catch a buck moving around.

I also just happened to get permission for a really small but intriguing place 2 hours west of me. I dropped a dozer for a buddy of mine at a place he bought that’s in the middle of irrigation country. (You guys that know I80 well think between Lincoln and GI). Anyway it’s a small windy, brushy creek surrounded by irrigated fields. It’s the kind of little overlooked spot I’ve found big bucks in the past. I may or may not get to it.

I also really hope raccoon fur prices will be more than 0 this year. I gotta get to trapping them. If they were $10 like they were when I was in HS I believe I could make a small fortune this winter. They are thick.

If moisture holds off this coming week so I can get some more work done, I’m hoping to slip out west for 3-4 days to maybe see if I can get on a mule deer buck. The one I found in august that checked all the boxes I’m looking for has been MIA on my previous trips up there. Side note, I got right on the same buck last year. I threw a stalk on him and the 6 does he had with him passed me at 15 yards and he never came out. Completely gave me the slip.

This morning was a bust. Something paralleled me in the grass walking to the stand this morning, not sure what it was. It followed right with me for 80 yards or so, then took off. I posted I thought it was a lion in the “attacked by a cougar thread”, but I highly doubt it was. Saw a few does/fawns and a 3x3.

I had 2 plans this afternoon, pack a stand a few miles across some grass/weeds and hang it right along the Missouri River, or go in dark to a place I haven’t even looked at for 2 years. Since I left my harness hanging on a climbing stick of a stand I hung last week I decided against hanging a new stand. Gonna swing by and grab my harness and see what’s happening further west.

This morning was a bust. Something paralleled me in the grass walking to the stand this morning, not sure what it was. It followed right with me for 80 yards or so, then took off. I posted I thought it was a lion in the “attacked by a cougar thread”, but I highly doubt it was. Saw a few does/fawns and a 3x3.

I had 2 plans this afternoon, pack a stand a few miles across some grass/weeds and hang it right along the Missouri River, or go in dark to a place I haven’t even looked at for 2 years. Since I left my harness hanging on a climbing stick of a stand I hung last week I decided against hanging a new stand. Gonna swing by and grab my harness and see what’s happening further west.
1665174558437.gif

Honest moment, and yes Ive had a bit to drink.

The hardest part of this “slam” is drawing the elk tag as @jbowlin and @smw110136 can tell you.

Ray Charles could kill a decent bull in Nebraska, I’m pretty certain if he had a muzzleloader in his hand he’d kill an antelope too.

That said I sat for 1 1/2 days on the land I own/farm. Alls I could think about was the bucks running the public land that I’ve not only killed bucks on, but decent bucks. There’s a place that’s way down that I’ve never ventured to. After packing a stand and hanging sticks a mile through standing corn, I’ve decided I’m gonna go in and hunt that piece of public along the river with all I have. I’ve got pics of one “giant” on canera, but the last pic was the end of august. Tomorrow afternoon I’m packing some stands down along the river.

Stay tuned, summer @Stocker getting ready for elk hunting, eating right and running, is different from whitetail @Stocker getting mad snd killing dinks.

Pro tip, don’t drink all summer, then start, you’ll make an ass of yourself but be popular online. 😏

Honest moment, and yes Ive had a bit to drink.

The hardest part of this “slam” is drawing the elk tag as @jbowlin and @smw110136 can tell you.

Ray Charles could kill a decent bull in Nebraska, I’m pretty certain if he had a muzzleloader in his hand he’d kill an antelope too.

That said I sat for 1 1/2 days on the land I own/farm. Alls I could think about was the bucks running the public land that I’ve not only killed bucks on, but decent bucks. There’s a place that’s way down that I’ve never ventured to. After packing a stand and hanging sticks a mile through standing corn, I’ve decided I’m gonna go in and hunt that piece of public along the river with all I have. I’ve got pics of one “giant” on canera, but the last pic was the end of august. Tomorrow afternoon I’m packing some stands down along the river.

Stay tuned, summer @Stocker getting ready for elk hunting, eating right and running, is different from whitetail @Stocker getting mad snd killing dinks.

Pro tip, don’t drink all summer, then start, you’ll make an ass of yourself but be popular online. 😏
Third person. Love it.

And Gellar will have the couch cleared off for you to sleep on🤣🤣
One of the Old Man's buddies got married on opening day of Michigans rifle season. The jacked up part is the bride to be was a hunter. This was before Old Man and his buddy met, while this may seem like a really dumb idea I find it rather smart. What better way to show your love for your new bride than to be willing to give up the season opener.
(Loose translation in groom's mind, "Hahaha, ain't no way in hell I'm gonna forget our anniversary")
This way of thinking may be why I'm single.

One of the Old Man's buddies got married on opening day of Michigans rifle season. The jacked up part is the bride to be was a hunter. This was before Old Man and his buddy met, while this may seem like a really dumb idea I find it rather smart. What better way to show your love for your new bride than to be willing to give up the season opener.
(Loose translation in groom's mind, "Hahaha, ain't no way in hell I'm gonna forget our anniversary")
This way of thinking may be why I'm single.
November 15 is a big day in Michigan. Schools closed, traffic jam on us 10 and 27 interchange the day before. I’m surprised they found a priest willing to do the ceremony.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back