NE Colorado winter?

WildWill

Anyone been around the Pawnee NATL Grasslands wondering how the antelope are faring the winter? Applied for a muzzleloader pronghorn tag in the area I have the points for but am starting to wonder if this is the year for it. Specifically interested from Fort Collins to Sterling and I76 north to the Wyoming line.

Thanks Will

Wow! Read a article this morning about harsh winter conditions taking a toll in NW Colorado on the wildlife. Got me worried about conditions on the east side looks like for nothing.
Yeah it’s worlds different.

NW colorado is far more like wyoming with winters

North east colorado is relatively always very mild in comparison.

Yeah it’s worlds different.

NW colorado is far more like wyoming with winters

North east colorado is relatively always very mild in comparison.
Around here if we get a light dusting of snow they declare a state of emergency. Sounds like my biggest problem will be getting close enough with my muzzleloader.

Anyone been around the Pawnee NATL Grasslands wondering how the antelope are faring the winter? Applied for a muzzleloader pronghorn tag in the area I have the points for but am starting to wonder if this is the year for it. Specifically interested from Fort Collins to Sterling and I76 north to the Wyoming line.

Thanks Will
I came across I 70 through Utah to Denver two weeks ago. Vale pass and the others had passenger car law in effect the night we came through. Got to Denver to spend the night and it was pretty much bare ground. Continuing east the next day was also bare ground 🤷‍♂️

Why I chose muzzleloader even though I have the points for a rifle tag. There's way less tags and instead of only being good in one unit like the rifle tag it's good for 5 units.
You aren't wrong about it being less tags. I'm betting other hunters will still be your biggest problem.

they're fine i'd assume. there's not even snow on the ground out there currently.
I think the last 2 weeks or so have really melted a lot on the plains. I live on the edge of the plains, but well south of Pawnee and we've had snow up till about 2 weeks ago. The amount of snow combined with a crust and a hard ice sheet at the bottom had me worried in our area. The wildlife near me have had to find the areas without snow or thinner snow. We're not as bad as the high country, but this year was unusual with an early, wet snow that crusted quick and then got piled on more an more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back