Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

ND Landowner blows up on young waterfowlers

North Dakota considers extortion to be a criminal offense, and punishments pertaining to it are the same as those in cases related to theft and burglary. Extortion is the act of using blackmail, coercion or threats to illegally obtain property that belongs to another person. The property in question does not necessarily have to be physical property. That and that outside of assets and money, other intangible valuables, such as services rendered, if done under the threat of coercion, is considered extortion.

Anyone charged with extortion in North Dakota faces incarceration, an amount they will have to pay in fines or both. They will also receive a criminal record against their name, something that happens upon every conviction, and a charge of extortion can lead to future problems with finding employment and more.

North Dakota considers extortion to be a criminal offense, and punishments pertaining to it are the same as those in cases related to theft and burglary. Extortion is the act of using blackmail, coercion or threats to illegally obtain property that belongs to another person. The property in question does not necessarily have to be physical property. That and that outside of assets and money, other intangible valuables, such as services rendered, if done under the threat of coercion, is considered extortion.

Anyone charged with extortion in North Dakota faces incarceration, an amount they will have to pay in fines or both. They will also receive a criminal record against their name, something that happens upon every conviction, and a charge of extortion can lead to future problems with finding employment and more.
like owning a firearm...sweet revenge and proper result from those actions occuring...

I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt this landowner will get anything more than a talking to (if that). It won't be the first incident where a ND landowner get a free pass for absolutely outrageous behavior.

I have a friend who shot a deer on state trust land in ND a few years ago. Landowner who owned the land next to it, came ripping into the field in his truck, jumped out of his pick up with his son, and one of the two pulled a gun on my buddy and his brother. Like pointed it at them, yelling and screaming about how they were trespassing, tried dragging the deer off in their truck, etc. Game warden got there, confirmed my buddy shot the deer legally, and actually had to physically get the deer from the land owner and bring the deer out of the field to my buddy who was now parked a safe distance away on the road, so he could take it home. This is after it laid dead and partially gutted in the field for 8 hours while the shit show was going on. I believe there was an investigation of sorts that happened over the next year or year and half. But not a single thing happened to that guy or his son. Not one.

Seems unbelievable. But that really happened.

Last edited:
So I had time to actually watch the whole thing now. Couple thoughts. First, I have totally hunted field edges and property edges for ducks before. To the point where I'm "air" trespassing with myself or gear possibly even. My line indicator though typically is more obvious such as a fence line but even those as we know aren't exactly perfect. Second, the problem could have been resolved if they just would have setup 6 inches to a foot away to make sure their blind didn't go into the cornfield. Wouldn't have made a difference. I'm sure they didn't expect this but moving forward I bet they do and I'll also be taking that advise if I find myself hunting a line again. Finally, the only thing I think they actually did wrong here was not keep their mouth shut. They kept their cool but the situation would have been much better resolved if they just said, "I'm sorry that this ruined your morning but I'm doing nothing wrong by hunting here and we will gladly move our blind a foot further away (yes they did finally state that). I would have done it and then proceeded to hunt and ignore the guy. Every moment he then sticks around results in their case for hunter harassment getting better and better

O also this. Am I the only one thinking that if the night before Dustin went to talk to the guy they would have all been able to get along and hunt there together that morning? I'd put my money on him telling Dustin he isn't allowed to hunt there because he is going to be there
The landowner said he saw them the night before and they should have seen him and come and talked to him because, "that's what I would have done." He also said he knew they were going to be hunting there the next morning. My thought was, why didn't the landowner go talk to them the night before?

What has screaming "I'm not a f*ing Democrat" got to do with anything? Right out of left field. After the first ten seconds of that video everyone knew exactly which way that idiot voted. He didn't have to advertise it.

This happened about 30 minutes from where I live, i was talking with a guy at the gym. He knows the landowner and has had similar encounters with him or other stories like this. I'm not sure what it is about waterfowl that gets people to go nuts. I enjoy going but I've had too many of these types of situations happen to where it's not worth me getting up that early to set decoys anymore.

I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt this landowner will get anything more than a talking to (if that). It won't be the first incident where a ND landowner get a free pass for absolutely outrageous behavior.

I have a friend who shot a deer on state trust land in ND a few years ago. Landowner who owned the land next to it, came ripping into the field in his truck, jumped out of his pick up with his son, and one of the two pulled a gun on my buddy and his brother. Like pointed it at them, yelling and screaming about how they were trespassing, tried dragging the deer off in their truck, etc. Game warden got there, confirmed my buddy shot the deer legally, and actually had to physically get the deer from the land owner and bring the deer out of the field to my buddy who was now parked a safe distance away on the road, so he could take it home. This is after it laid dead and partially gutted in the field for 8 hours while the shit show was going on. I believe there was an investigation of sorts that happened over the next year or year and half. But not a single thing happened to that guy or his son. Not one.

Seems unbelievable. But that really happened.
agreed, I would bet this guy gets nothing or a talking to at most

I'm confident at some point I would have stood in the beans and watered the corn.

I'd wager with 98% confidence that this isn't that clown's first incident like that. Usually law enforcement does nothing to the local jackass landowners like this guy. The LEOs all live there and have to get along with the landowners while the traveling hunter is just a visitor. Happens all the time. I mean just read some Jack Reacher books and you'll see.

Back