Nannies or Billies?

The Hedgehog

I took these pictures this month and can't tell. Help a guy out. I'd hate to shoot one of these and find out it's a nanny, or worse yet, have it's kid pop out from behind a rock..

Attachments

• scarface1.jpg
    scarface1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 679
  • Kong2.jpg
    Kong2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 707
  • scarface_and_kong2.jpg
    scarface_and_kong2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 676
  • scarface5.jpg
    scarface5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 675
  • scarface6.jpg
    scarface6.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
I'm going with all billies. Bottom one for sure, based on how he stand to take a whizz.

The rest of them all look like billy pics, given their base masses being very good, relative to their length. Also, they start to curve right from the start, as compared to a nanny who is longer and skinnier, then curves only at the very tip.

Also, no kids in the pics, which this time of year, would be rare. If any is a nanny, it could possibly be the first pic, but still looks like a billy to me.

After a year of scouting and then taking my billie, I'd have to agree w/Fin. I think all are billies and come hunting season, I'd bet you could easily see the glands behind their horns.

I concur. Looks like you found all billies. I'm looking forward to hearing about your goat hunt, Greenhorn. Best of luck, and keep the rest of us long-suffering mountain goat applicants posted.

I was trying to be funny? There's only the two, and this photo might rule out the other..

It took 13 days and I lost 17lbs just to find these guys.

Attachments

• Kong peeing.jpg
    Kong peeing.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 661
Wow. 17 pounds in 13 days. Impressive. I lost 8 pounds in 5 days on a buddy's goat hunt, and I thought that was good. The cleaner billy of the two looks pretty good. You have any estimates, Greenhorn? Bases? Length?

Do I need black horns? I've got my goat stare down, along with rock licking. No estimate on horn, just going for the old, big heavy bassass mo-fo, and the one with the scar between his eyes is the leader. He's over 9 and heavy. Pretty sure of that. The other goat is longer, body and horn, but doesn't have the Mike Tyson appeal as scarface.

Nice find! They're in for trouble come hunting season. Never figured you had a spare 17 pounds to lose. . .

He's a good billy... no doubt about it. So... you gonna be spending the summer with him?

I've no idea what they score. I just figure I should look at as many as possible and try to hunt for the nicest one or two. Here's a couple other photos, all billies ...
557190_3640862739171_1084535043_n.jpg

380735_3640866539266_1943178949_n.jpg

582103_3640861219133_455168746_n.jpg

376268_3640861659144_1058401656_n.jpg

524005_3640860379112_1898095115_n.jpg

H! I lost 6 lbs on our vaca/family reunion two weekends ago. Wonders what a little exercise hiking can do for an old body.Must have had something to do with the smell of fresh air and pine. Go figure...

Shoot the biggest, baddest, mule faced billy you can find. Horns and score will take care of themselves. Awesome pictures, I'd keep tabs on those guys.

I was down to 168 pounds by the end of October last year. Lowest I had been since I high school.

If this were something I could do-over someday, maybe I'd take an inferior weapon.

All I know is that those 3 yo goats are tricky to judge. Their horns look big compared to their heads and ears and you think you're looking at a good billy. The other thing is that they are often alone having been kicked out by momma and so you think you're looking at a good billy. We were tricked and shot a young one. He had good looking horns and had the glands and all.
Like Drake said I think the old long face is going to be more tell tale than anything else and in order to tell that you almost need to have them standing beside other one. I do know that I'm no expert that's for sure.
Knowing you it will all work out. I wish I could lop off about 15 of my pounds and give it to you.:D

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back