Mystery Ranch Crew Cab

drploutz

I have listened to countless members on this site rave about this pack. I have done some research and am quite interested but hate to buy anything without seeing it first hand and playing with it a bit and putting one on my back. So where can I go to see and try one of these packs (without having to drive to Bozeman, MT)? Thanks for the help.

As far as I know you'll have no such luck unless you find an owner of one. They don't wholesale at all, no dealers. I know several companies who've tried to carry them but they just won't wholesale.

Disappointing that you can't try this product first hand. I understand not wanting to wholesale, but there needs to be some kind of an option. Even just having some demos somewhere at various places, but still having to order through the site.

Yeah, I have to believe it cuts a large percentage of the market out by not wholesaling, but it does keep things much simpler as far as running the company goes.

You may want to give them a call and see if they are or will be attending any events/shows any time soon. Depends on how soon you need a pack.
I just placed an order for the 7500. Arrival date is next Tuesday, can't wait.

Good Luck...

Call Seacat at MR and see if they have an option for you.
The only real downside to the Crew Cab is the frame length of 20", which will keep the lifters inoperable for just about everybody but they will work as "stabilizers", holding the bag to the frame. The bag also tends to sit low as a result.

The batwing design is in my opinion, the best design in a "one pack for all" scenario. My CrewCab packed one Elk and 2 Antelope this year .

Just post up on here or some other hunting websites. I'm sure there is somebody close to you who will let you fingerbang their pack. I know I've let several people take mine for a spin.

I'm sure you'll find somebody with one that will let you try one out.
I'd really look at their internal frames as well, almost half the price of the Nice frame.

I'd really look at their internal frames as well, almost half the price of the Nice frame.

I bought one this year for my sheep hunt and it handled the heavy loads excellent. I think you're right Randy the majority of us would be in heaven with just the way their internals carry loads as well.

The crew cab is sweet, but look at the other new offerings too, the new Bighorn...new on my wishlist...is much lighter than the CC. I have packed out two antelope, a whole muledeer, two bulls, a bear, and camp in for 5 days on mine this year...like it...does sit low for some heavey loads...if you are looking for an all out backpackers pack...go the 6500, or one of thoughs style packs...one where you lifters are higher...the CC is capable of going from your day pack to having an entire Bear in it. I wear mine on every hunt. I second, asking around on forums, then contact Mark Seacat!

I bought one this year for my sheep hunt and it handled the heavy loads excellent. I think you're right Randy the majority of us would be in heaven with just the way their internals carry loads as well.

I ended up going with the internal frame too. I couldn't justify the extra price and weight when the x-frame's supposed to handle 80 pounds.
Maybe if I was big enough to carry a 120 pound load, but as is the NICE seemed like overkill.

I had a Crew Cab and put it on my original 2006 vintage NICE frame, kept it from summer, 2007 to last August and sold it. I also have a 6500 on a NICE Overkill frame and MR BDSB and Deluxe internals, plus four different Bozeman era Dana Design packs and have had three others. NOBODY makes a pack that equals these, except for the full custom packs by Dan McHale and my oldest is from 1978 and is still good to go.

I found and I am not tall, that the lifters on the CC were just that little bit lower than I care for and with the 6500 bag, they are "perfecto" and make an honest 100 lb. load quite comfortable. Obviously, that kind of weight is tough sluggin' in the mountains, but, I have had some other big name, costly "hunting" packs that would not even handle 70 lbs in comfort and MR just seems to work for more people than any other packs I have tried in 47+ years of hunting and backpack camping.

I am going to buy a Wolf Alpha bag for my original NICE frame for day and overnight early season hunts and I think that this will work perfectly for what I want it for. I think that I will try the "multicam" as it should blend into early season BC terrain very well.

Back