Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab Maiden Voyage

blgoode

The one thing that kept me looking at the crew cab by Mystery Ranch was its versatility. The second thing I kept coming back to this pack for was its almost forcing you to seperate your items. The larger interior space for carrying bulkier items also sort of forces you to keep your items from remaining there unseen by its open construction. Anyways - On to my simple light excursion out today.

I needed to change my Trail Camera Cards and 1 Camera location. In the past I have carried in Minerial Rocks and this is where the large open area Im not using much today will really make this pack shine. Also, Im purchasing a stand with climbing sticks and this will aid in me packing those in as well.

Here is a quick pick to get an idea of the main area hauling capabilities.
1460390b.jpg

This fully collapsed image you can see the main "Day Pack Front" and 2 vertical "Long Pockets" folded in.

This is the additional Day Pack "Lid" that can expand your load 900ci and ride atop your bulkier items and give you FAST ACCESS to what you may need more easily. Right now this 900ci "Lid" is stored in my hydration bladder pocket and out of the way but with me if needed.
140a91c5.jpg

Not very good pictures to show storage areas but here we go anyways.

The front angled zipper pocket is great for snacks, gloves, camera, maps. I only have an extra pair of sunglasses I had now.
a3509486.jpg

The inside Daypack area has 2 top pockets in the top that are easy to access without loosening the compression straps. I have just a pair of clippers cause its WAY brushy in areas in the south, Pad and Pencil, Leatherman, Ect. This pocket has plenty of usable area to drop in items. I only have dropped in a few extra bungee cords and extra batteries. The tip zipper area in this area opens up and drops COMPLETELY down. I have 550 chord and a few plastic bags and trash bags stored here if needed.

9afdc66c.jpg

Showing More of the front "Day Pack Compartment"
7309b934.jpg

The 2 long pockets are not small at all. For today I had 1 32oz Nalgene in one and a folding saw + 1 medium bottle of descent spray.
af6b577e.jpg

What I really like about this pack is that the area's are segmented so when relocating trail cameras or adding other items to the pack your not disrupting the layout of the whole pack.

Just slip in the trail cam and Im on my way :)
29026bfc.jpg

17c5829d.jpg

One other thing I REALLY liked about this pack today way that it holds ALOT but its not super high so it catches on less brush overhead when crouching through thick South Eastern Under Growth.
DayPackConfig.jpg

I also think this pack will shine when its time to hit the range. Simply un-clip Day Pack front, pop in my prepacked ammo bags and Im out the door. My top loaders always had me packing and unpacking to see what I had if I was second guessing I had everything. The layout of this pack takes that minor obsessive compulsive behavior I have down a notch as its so open when really loading it up full.

I can see myself purchasing the "Load Cells" Mystery Ranch sells after selling some other pouches I have.

Also, this pack really carried well when adding up to 40lb and I have no doubt more than that is not a problem at all.

The side pockets on the belt really came in handy to store my sunglasses on one side, and the other side carried trail marking tape + pruning shears for briars and other underbrush needs while walking.

Not a cheap pack system at all but I think this is the single best "Do All" pack for the way I prefer to pack things around.

Tomorrow with weather permitting we're off for a Mothers Day Hike for more day trips so Im excited to get more use out of it this weekend.

Time for more Day Trip Use

Packing Lunch for 3
4d4655ef.jpg

Water in left Long Pocket and Wifes Bug Spray and Jerkey Strips
c8c1b814.jpg

And Lunch for 3 stashed in front of Right Long Pocket.
cfe649d7.jpg

Maps...CHECK!
c975b5c1.jpg

Holds quite a bit easily. Binos in front for easy access
63adbe39.jpg

After Lunch with water easily accessible. This is what I dig! anything the wife throws at me AFTER THE FACT I can fit in without disturbing my other areas.
10adc9e5.jpg

See ....Not too bulky
casey_Jacobs-Fork9.jpg

casey_Jacobs-Fork10.jpg

A little overkill for a day pack.....YEP
Do I mind.......NOPE

Because I can use this pack for way much more than day trips and its not like using a 6500ci pack and cinching everything down. This pack lacks the exterior traditional material so its great small AND if needed to be large I CAN!

The crew cab is definitely easy to love. Any chance you could post a semi close up shot of the top buckles that the lid snaps into. It appears they may have changed the design some since I bought mine a few years back.

Thanks, definitely different, wonder if they can do a retrofit to an old one?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back