My Three Years in Idaho

Spitz

Now that I've been around here long enough to get 100 posts. I thought I'd start sharing a few picks.

So, I thought I'd start by sharing the fruits of my three years spent living in N. Idaho. I think the law degree should go out in the garage and the mounts should come in the house, but my wife doesn't agree . . . yet. :D

The middle one is pretty peculiar and worth a different angle.

Attachments

• P3260196.JPG
    P3260196.JPG
    643.2 KB · Views: 451
  • P3260200.JPG
    P3260200.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 444
Spitz,

Those are some great bucks. Congrats. It looks like you keep getting bigger every year.

Thanks. I'm not sure if the pictures are big enough though . . . oops, I'll work on that for next time.

None of the three were bow kills, I may have nunchuck and bowstaff skills, but not deer shooting with a bow skills.

The first and smallest of the three bucks I shot while hunting with my pops. He doesn't hunt but was coming over for a visit on Thanksgiving so I waited until he was around so we could go together. I was pretty willing to shoot whatever we saw and when he spotted the buck from the logging road we were on, I put the buck down. Turned into a great memory and my dad keeps the picture of us with the buck on his desk at work. Great times.

The second buck I took with a buddy while we were working some timber patches for a cow elk. He was walking the timber and I was walking over a little rise that was pretty clear and the buck came trotting up the other side of the rise. I'm not sure if we pushed him or not, but all hell broke loose when the buck and I saw each other from about 25 yards. The buck kicked it in high gear, still running parallel to me at 25 yards for a few seconds while I noticed the drop time that came over his eye and the triple eyeguard, so I brought my rifle up. My scope was dialed down, but it's a 4.5-14, so at 4.5 power on a running buck at 25 yards I had some issues with keeping him in my scope, but like the dead-eye dick that I am, I just started putting lead in the air. :D I shot three times, he went down on the third. Thinking he was a tough buck to take three hits from a .300 mag I was impressed, that is until I got to him and I had only hit him once. :confused: Like I said . . . Dead-eye Dick.

The third buck I sort of lucked into. N. Idaho is pretty heavily timbered and I focused my efforts on some areas I knew held decent bucks, but it was so rare to catch them out of the timber. Law school isn't as tough as it sounds, :) so I'd hunt 3-4 days a week hoping to catch the buck I wanted chasing some does. We hit the area after the first snowfall and sure enough, caught him out in a clearcut chasing some does and a smaller buck. I took my buck, we hiked down to check him out, had great conditions and 1 hour of light left, so we kept moving to spot a few other areas and my buddy took a huge 4 point about 500 yards away from mine. Needless to say it was a long night. BTW, I took this buck in the same big clearcut as the one I took with my dad.

Hope you enjoyed the pics and the stories. I wish I had field photos, but I generally forget my camera on the days I actually shoot something.

Nice deer..good choice on the mount style....personally prefer the European. Thanks for the pics.

dad keeps the picture of us with the buck on his desk at work.

thats a true trophy!
congrats.

(sorry to hear about the law degree :eek: )

Nice looking mounts.

Sorry to hear your colors run black and gold.

Wish the Vandals could get a decent football team again to revive the Boise-Moscow rivalry.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back