PEAX Equipment

My Tacoma Is A Rodent Attractant and Killer

Riddle me this. I have had two different rodents (gophers are rodents?) in my engine bay killed in the same spot with no human intervention:

2017:
View attachment 232688

Today:
View attachment 232689
Mine has always been a rodent magnet.
Found out they had totally clogged my dash vents yesterday when I needed the AC...I had the fan cleaned out recently, but the duffuses did not vacum the ducts.
I had wire mesh placed around the fan when I got it and they clogged the fan.
Toyota screwed the pooch when they placed the intakes where you cannot get to and the rodents can. And there is nothing there to prevent entry. Ford is the same.
Stupid. I could always easily keep they out of old trucks and cars.

Last year it was a plug wire. Replaced all the wires.

My neighbors have nightmare rodents. They eat all the wires, make nests ,weekly. They have tried everything to deter them. Nada.
Rabbits hitchhike into town under their vehicles. Seen them jump down and run off at the gas pumps numerous times.
I've had chipmunks do the same from mine.

I've got a starling that has figured out how to get into the engine compartment of my tundra to build a nest up against the battery....

My Wyoming cousin Perry was showing me the 1960’s era ranch truck that he has been “getting ready to restore” for the last two decades. In each corner of the engine compartment and on the floorboards of the cab I saw used peppermint teabags. He claimed that this reduced the rodents considerably.

I came back to my Tacoma late one night from a several day trip, hop in the truck to leave and my brake pedal goes straight to the floor... WTF! Get out and take a look underneath, a porcupine had chewed through 2 of my three soft lines.
So I clamped them off with vise grips and limped my way back out to civilization with one front brake. I also carry a set of caps to cap off a brake line now.

There was an article in the Times today about rats moving into everyone’s cars. Leaving chicken bones behind and whatnot.

I about lost my chit last summer while truck camping in the Flathead NF when a persistant pack rat decided to try and make camp in the wheel well. Febreeze and bug spray straight to the face don’t phase them one bit.

There was an article in the Times today about rats moving into everyone’s cars. Leaving chicken bones behind and whatnot.

I about lost my chit last summer while truck camping in the Flathead NF when a persistant pack rat decided to try and make camp in the wheel well. Febreeze and bug spray straight to the face don’t phase them one bit.
I was told to stick bounce FS cloths tied to the corners. Electronic deterants, don't do squat.
I've worn out 2 Victor electric traps out.

Between some fabric softener sheets and febreeze those pack rats are gonna be impressing all the lady rats with their unique cologne.
Yeah, with hanta virus. It's deer mice or chipmunks in the trucks.
Packrats take over everything else. Or under the mobile home...
Unless the rock squirrels get there . They will undermine a shed or barn/home.

What are they doing up there? They're the perfect size for that driver's seat 😉

Inquiring Tacoma owners need to know what kind of HP boost you’re getting from the unique aluminum foil mod by your brake booster under the hood there?
[/QUOTE]

That was my attempt at taking up space so the rodents don't have space to make a nest...it's been there for almost 3 years and no repeat nests so far. Three years ago they chewed through almost the entire wire bundle within a few inches of the firewall - made splicing the wires a real PITA.

You guys are missing the whole point of this thread - it's not about the rodents/nests and prevention - it's: How did two of them die in between the hood and the fender...in nearly the exact same spot...3 years apart?!

Well, I guess Tacomas aren’t perfect and rodents like Tacos.

Pack rats kept trying to make a condo out of my F150. Read somewhere that they don’t like “lavender” (the smell not the color lol) and the Mrs had some of that essential oil shit so I borrowed it and diluted into a spray bottle. Hit all the wheel wells and the under hood insulation blanket and wa-la! no more nesting👍🏻

I hit all the spots about twice a year now, get the occasional whiff through the a/c vents but it’s palatable enough!

You guys are missing the whole point of this thread - it's not about the rodents/nests and prevention - it's: How did two of them die in between the hood and the fender...in nearly the exact same spot...3 years apart?!

Unlucky, sounds like. ;)

Yea, if I had a 20-yr-old Ford, I wouldn't have this problem...cuz it would be in a scrap yard?
Mine is 21 and one small dent, runs great.
I understand Ford haters. They do not know how to maintain a vehicle.
My Tacoma is a 98...

Back