My NM Antelope Archery Hunt 2021

Scouted some a couple of different pieces of state land this evening didnt see much, saw one really really good buck, thinking he pry had 6" cutters. He was perty spooky took off before i could get any pics took i was like 400 yards away on a county road. So definitely will be checking that area out again. Planning on scouting a bunch on Saturday with a good friend from here that has antelope hunted 25 years or so

Scouted again this morning saw a couple new bucks and met another bowhunter while out scouting that has the same hunt as I while out looking around. Saw one goat while out scouting that is in a area with alot of cactus and mesquite that will definitely help to stalk him, I'll post a pic of him with this msg and than the other goats. Heat waves were getting terrible around noon.20210731_112718.jpg

dude you've got a lot of really nice bucks scouted, this thread is getting exciting
Thanks!! No I definitely can't complain about the goats I'm seeing. Hopefully most of them stay on state, a couple of them keep switching back and forth across private and state😑. The biggest bucks are down in some areas with less cover but there's a couple goats that are hanging out in some area that would be way easier to stalk them so not sure what I'll do.

FYI. I've tried the cow silhouette with archery. Didn't let me within 100-150 yds. Might work for some.

Well see how this goes here. Went and hunted a fair bit of the day. Perty much drove up within about 300 yards of a buck when I came around some pens so I backed up a bit and kinda watched him and he kinda just kept grazing around and not paying much attention so I got my decoy and tried sneaking in on him. Get back some yuccas and he's heading my way, pickup in full view a 100 yards away. And he keeps coming, I'm starting to think this might happen, he gets to 100 yards and starts circling and acting nervous, so I finally try to put a lil pressure on him with the decoy and he didn't like that so I jus starts moving away not really acting spooked but like he didn't want anything do with it. So I backed off and went back to the truck and kinda watched where he was heading up over the hill and the went around to try to get ahead of him, well I wasn't quite fast enough. So I decided to leave him be.

Rest of the day I sat water for awhile and tried stalking a goat and his 20ish does a couple times, they would let me get to about 180ish yards with the decoy but that was about it and they start easing off a lil and id put a lil more pressure thing to get the buck to come chase me but he just never acted interested... second stalk they were bedded in a area that had quite a bit mesquite and so I started in this time without the decoy cuz it was perty breezy and its going well I'm staying hid good and covering the ground when all of a sudden 3 does come running up behind and start snorting and circling around in front of me and running back and forth within bow range, well that gets all the other goats up and looking around, at this point they are about 200 yards out. 3 does finally run off and take few more with them, but the other goats are up now and easing away and there's no way I could catch up to them. So that was perty much my day. I know out of the 5 tags in that unit at least one is filled a guy I know a lil drew one of the other tags and shot a small goat on opening day.

Back