My new ugly duckling

HowaHunter

So in the gun shop the other day buying my wife a new Ruger LCR when an odd fairly ugly piece catches my eye. I asked to see it and the salesman handed me this mossbert spx 30-30. Weird, odd, and even ugly guns intrigue me. I had always wanted a 30-30 but one that was more traditional. I will say this gun probably rates a -10.5 on tactical use nowadays but it is still effective on deer. Anyway long story short I went home did some reviews and found out that it is a good shooter but everyone hates it. I was falling for it even more so I had my wife take me back to purchase it. Now I just need to get the doctor to clear me for shooting it. I will say the price was very right on this piece. About $230 below MSRP.

Anyway share your thoughts negative or positive. I will agree it is not Mossberg's finest moment but I love it!

Attachments

• 20140129_191035.jpg
    20140129_191035.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 983
...never seen one with a suction cup on the recoil pad. I'd call it Franken-30:D

Shoot it like you stole it.;)

Kind of like a platypus.. Not sure what it is or where is came from, but kind of cute in it's own ugly way.

Yikes! I guess that means there are just more blue and walnut lever guns available for my weakness.
I agree with noharly, shoot that thing and have fun.

WOW! That beast is hideously-glorious :eek: It's like a car wreck…..I can't seem to look away. Shoot that pig till the barrel falls off and enjoy

Yikes...did you turn around when closing the gun shop door to see if the salesman was receiving a high five from his boss?

Well, it is funky looking! That collapsible stock may come in handy if/when you have youngsters. Not my cup of tea, but you only have to make you happy. I've spent more $$ on worse purchases.

Let us know how it shoots.

I try my best not to talk about other peoples guns so........

Oh, and Teddy Roosevelt has rolled once again in his grave. Here is how Teddy does lever action

I don't know, it's not too bad. . .not traditional thats for sure! I'd shoot the he** out of it. I'd call it Mad Max. . .It would have fit right in on that movie set! Good price, shoots good, WIN!!!

I remember when Mossberg first started manufacturing that gun, thinking it was the ugliest gun ever.

However, if Chuck Connors ever fought aliens, that's probably what he would have used.

Did you get serial number 001 or 002? Just kidding, I'm sure they sold more than two of them. Truthfully, I've looked at that rifle before and would buy one too on a screaming good deal. Enjoy it!

I love Teddy's rifle. haha. He is my idol. I am going to shoot the heck out of it. Couple more weeks and we shall see how the duck shoots.

To quote Han Solo on the Millenium Falcon: "She may not look like much, but she got it where it counts".

I like the collapsing stock. It should make chambering a new round easier with the gun still on your shoulder. A longer l.o.p. makes you drop the gun to rechamber unless you are longer armed than I am. I don't think the rails on the forearm are as practical though. If you could get a ghost ring site or a scout scope mount it would be awesome. Check XS sights and see if they have them. They do for a win 94. Please post how it shoots.

You could try rem reduced recoil loads if that is what the doctor needs to clear you for.

It is butt ugly.............but throw a black sling on it,10 rnd capability,Red Dot and you've got the perfect rural/urban cowboy gun,if it weighed around 4 lbs.....nah,I'll stick to my '94,40 yrs and it goes everywhere with me still today.

Looks like Mossberg tried to incorporate into one gun all the most unsightly and least necessary components available. It's a good thing that it's dark inside a gun safe, otherwise the other guns would throw that thing out every time you opened the door.:)

Just ragging; your gun..... your choice. Ugly children and women need love too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back