Caribou Gear

My first new vehicle

Hmm...
Ford CEO salary in 2022 $20,996,146
GM CEO salary in 2022 $28,979,570
Chrysler/Stellantis CEO 2022 $24.8 million
This is their yearly salary, the workers are not going to make that much in their lifetimes.

So who cares what the profit margin is when they can afford to pay themselves this much?
And they always want the workers to tighten their belts for the good of the company. It's time for the CEO's of these companies to take a hit to their wallet, big time.
Really trying not to continue this discussion in this thread, but ....

On a percentage basis, none of the CEO's you mention make more than 0.015% of their companies total annual revenue. To put that in perspective, Russell Wilson makes an annual salary of $49M for the Denver Broncos that as an organization, makes $540M a year in revenue (2022 projections). Thus he gets paid ~9% of their total annual revenue. Think he's worth that much? Other QB's aren't much different. Think any of them are worth that percentage? To look at it another way, if any of those CEO's could increase revenue by even 1% ($1.6-$1.7B) on a year over year basis, would you pay them 1-2% of just that difference alone? If they can move the company to a decent growth position because of their leadership skills by increasing that growth even 5x, is it worth a very small fraction of the annual revenue of the company? As a stockholder, I would say yes. If they can't generate that growth, then they should be fired. But if as an investor you are ok with low single digit growth, then by all means, put your money in an automaker company and watch your investment lose money relative to inflation every year. I prefer to see 15-20% growth (after inflation) in my money. And if you are not an investor, then what is wrong with you?

And if nothing else, it demonstrates the case that one should go in and negotiate their own salary vs letting some collective bargaining approach do it for you. So more power to them. And no, they don't decide their own salary, the Board of Directors, representing the stockholders, makes that decision. So if you are a Ford, or GM, or C/S shareholder, then look in the mirror and you will see the boss that made that decision. And with that, I will stop any further commenting on my part.

The UAW has been clear that they want to use this strike to restore the middle class and shift the paradigm that keeps increasing the distance between the uber wealthy and the rest of us. I hope they succeed, oligarchy just doesn't roll off the tongue.
I am definitely for smacking oligarchs in all their forms, but this is just political talking points. Raising workers' pay does nothing to improve GINI stats - in fact a lot of data shows the opposite. In a global economy expensive workers are merely replaced, so in a high cost country, the GINI actually gets worse because the CEOs and Venture Capitalists do better and the middle class does worse. And the UAW leaders know this - this is about their ego, their coffers, their party affiliation.

If we really want to tackle wealth inequality we need to make taxes on financially derived income the same rate as payday income, we need to set tariffs based on some equalizer for living wage and environmental stewardship, we need to tax imputed income of folks who can just use loans against unrealized asset gains to live lavish lifestyles while never having any "income", and we need to get draconian on estate taxes - society does not benefit from some dufus nephew inheriting a billion dollars.

So, tldr; union demands increase income inequality overall, serious change comes from govt policy.

You think it's reasonable for them to negotiate wages with Management who's job it is to pay them as little as possible in both wages and benefits?

There's a name for that, it's called begging

think you've never sat across the table from sharks asking for a pay raise, better benefits, etc.

I have. It's not something that many American workers know how to do, or more importantly, just aren't comfortable doing.

So, knowing those things to be facts, what chance does a lone American worker have "negotiating" with professionals being paid to beat them down?

That's the very reason for collective bargaining, giving those without the know how or comfort level, a voice.

Has jack chit to do with your allegedly lack of work ethic. Also, I'm not sure why you feel an employee owes the company more than what they're getting paid for.
This.

So - it is about jealousy, not employee well-being. Because if you divided the Ford CEO salary across his 173,000 employees they would each get a $120 annual raise. I mean if that is all the UAW is asking for I say give it to them now.
Yah that's all it is jealousy...nobody wants to keep up with the cost of living sky rocketing, so that they can keep the bills paid.

I usually trade pickups at about 75K miles. My 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 has 71K now so I’ve been thinking about trading around the first of the year. Maybe to the 3/4 ton Sierra 2500, which now has a 6.6 liter gas engine available (as well as the diesel). The one thing I’m concerned about which I have to confirm is will it fit in the garage As the new trucks seem to be made higher and higher. So if you are considering a new truck, be sure it will fit in your garage. As previously stated, the new trucks are not cheap. I’m hoping to keep the price around $70K (SLT trim) and hoping to get $35-40K for my trade.

1983, just bought my 1st house. 2Br1B on 10 acres w/well and small barn. $12,000.
Then I got my 65' F-100 w/125k on it for $1500. Excellent condition, aqua green.

My friends said I was nuts.
The 10 ac sold for $6 mil a couple years ago. I sold it for $250k in 89'.

Still looking for another 65' F-100 or 250 again in decent condition.

Congrats on ordering a new truck! I was able to get a good deal on a truck that was fairly new, but I'm guessing my next one will be new if prices don't correct. I can't imagine a 36% raise for the workers will help vehicle prices stop skyrocketing.

Woah, Buzz acting out again?!

Like others have said, it's a free market. If they don't like the pay, they can go elsewhere and pursue higher pay. CEO's job is significantly more difficult & stressful than a line workers job is. Without the CEO, none of them would have jobs. The CEO's job follows him home every night, likely keeps him awake, and requires a lot more effort.

Yah that's all it is jealousy...nobody wants to keep up with the cost of living sky rocketing, so that they can keep the bills paid.
Won't a substantial pay raise for all the workers just increase the cost of vehicles? In turn increasing the cost of living even more?

"I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
Overtime hours for bullshit pay
So I can sit out here and waste my life away
Drag back home and drown my troubles away"

-Oliver Anthony

Yah I get that but what's the answer keep wages stagnant while the price of living sky rockets?
I'm a perfect example. 12 years without a raise but insurance premiums went up making my take home pay less every year. Then all of the normal things that cost more all the time. You can say I'm more than a little bitter. They kept saying I was overpaid. Pfft. As far as leaving for something else? Try that at 55+.

I'm a perfect example. 12 years without a raise but insurance premiums went up making my take home pay less every year. Then all of the normal things that cost more all the time. You can say I'm more than a little bitter. They kept saying I was overpaid. Pfft. As far as leaving for something else? Try that at 55+.
I can remember one year our contract was up and negotiations were going on and higher up had a meeting telling us how bad our local was for not keeping us more informed on what we were bargaining for. I raised my hand and asked if he could tell us what they were offering. Crickets, thought so.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back